Falls Church, VA

Posted October 20, 2014
Haycock is now a Blue Ribbon School! Clearly the teachers and administration are doing great things to be recognized for such a high honor! I find the principal extremely visible. She most recently went camping with the fifth grade and I see her frequently at student arrival or in the cafeteria. She and the staff are definitely doing great things. My children are thriving and I'm thrilled with the level of rigor both in the center and general education classes. The teachers that we have had thus far are outstanding, fair, consistent and communicate extremely well. The Principal communicates via Facebook, Blog, Twitter and emails. I feel that I have a good idea what is going on in the school and feel blessed to have my children at the school!

Posted August 13, 2014
I rated the Teacher Quality high, because it is whether a child is GE or AP. I had both. And the contrast was my biological child in Fairfax County schools with less money and, as a result, I ended up rearing my biological child in private schools. The principal is invisible. Even my stepchildren stated, "she never left her office," and this was before she became pregnant. I gave Parent Involvement a low score because the school is run (especially with virtually no supervision by the principal) by a core group of parents that are pushy and offensive. So I worked, extensively at times, on a class basis, bypassing the mothers that ran the school. I'm a native to Fairfax and, fortunately, I've never experienced such an environment. Instead, I chose to work at the middle school where the Principal and the PTA run it, and the environment is much more positive and engaging for anyone who is interested in helping.

Posted April 29, 2014
I have two kids in this school now, one in AAP and one still in the lower grade. I love the fact that school staff, teachers and PTA all work together for the best of the students. We moved from CA to here years ago and my kids immediately loved the school that they don't want to move again until they graduate. LOL~ Thank you Haycock!

Haycock Elementary School 1

Posted February 17, 2014
I had two children at Haycock, one qualified for level 4 gifted/AAP center. There is endemic bigotry among both students and staff regarding the Advanced kids and the GE (general education) population, with the AAP children clearly privileged. GE kids live with constant reinforcement that they aren't first class citizens. My biggest regret is that we waited so long to put our kids in private school. Several teachers were very good, but both children suffered with teachers who were apathetic, unkind, and/or poor classroom managers. Both children were bullied and received only limited help from the staff. One of my children lost an entire year of learning while the teacher struggled simply to manage the endless disruption caused by clustering children with severe issues into one general classroom - even though the administration was well aware that this group had deep interpersonal conflicts that caused the same problems the previous year. When I asked for help, there were many good suggestions but little follow through. Both kids are now flourishing in private school. Haycock did a great disservice to both my children, who are extremely bright, A students.

Posted July 11, 2013
I'm an old student, I graduated a number of years ago and am now in college. Haycock was a great school. I realize that it is very crowded. Its always been that way, but what can you expect from a school in THE top county for education in the US? It says that there is about 850 students, when I attended there was about 1,000 so please stop complaining about the overpopulation. My class sizes varied from 18 to about 30 kids each year. Kids from Haycock go on to Longfellow and do incredibly well, many of which get accepted to TJHSST (the top high school in the country). The Haycock/Longfellow/Mclean HS school chain prepares you very well for your future and to complain about your student having classes with 35+ students is completely your loss because these teachers go to training to learn how to deal with it. You are kidding yourself to be writing complaints here. A top 10 elementary school in the top county in the country. Get over yourself. Think of all the kids out there who don't even get a proper education. If you get the chance watch the movie Stand and Deliver. Maybe then you'll realize how privileged your kids really are. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Posted March 11, 2013
Parents are kidding themselves if they think the bad reviews are entirely because of the AAP realignment. Look at them, they are not all from AAP parents. The school is a good school, but not the mecca that everyone claims. It's riding on reputation at this point. It's certainly not much (if at all) better than surrounding FCPS schools.

Posted February 26, 2013
My oldest child started at Haycock in Kindergarten and will graduate this year. My youngest child attends Haycock as well. The school is severely overcrowded, which often results in large class sizes. As a result, I have considered sending my children to private school, but after careful assessment based on 7 years of experience at the school, I cannot find fault with the outstanding education they receive that would warrant such a change. The teachers are incredibly dedicated & talented. I have taken an active role in parent participation at the school and have always found everyone from the janitorial staff up to the Principal to be welcoming, warm, appreciative and proud of the school they serve so well. I do agree with the previous reviewer that as a result of the recent School Board decision to send the majority of Cluster 2 students to Lemon Road next year, there is some resentment that has colored some of these negative reviews. Our family is truly indebted to the Teachers, Staff & Administration for giving our children a superior elementary school education.

Haycock Elementary School 0

Posted February 25, 2013
I have finished reading the reviews here and am shocked by what I see. Haycock is a wonderful school with educated and caring teachers and administrators. I've been a Haycock parent for eight years and find these comments to be ridiculous and misleading. They are obviously the result of a realignment that occurred within the pyramid that caused some children to be moved to another school next year in order to ease overcrowding and enable the renovation to proceed safely. It seems that some of the understandable frustration has been misdirected at the parents and administrators. Please don't let this color your opinion of a fantastic school. The parent community is very inviting and supportive of the school community and students are challenged at every level. We may have some difficult years ahead with the upcoming renovation, but I am thrilled that we will soon have a beautiful new school to house our students.

Posted February 21, 2013
Not all parents at Haycock agree with the way the administration has deteriorated what used to be a great school. A shame that high calibre teachers and staff are also affected. Some justify the school's unmanageable overcrowding, as victim of its own success. Victims, all right, but of an inexperienced principal who lacks education on community building and conflict resolution. Also, the school could hire more janitors, provide diverse training for teachers besides AAP that would be more in tune with the real needs of a grossly overcrowded school. This is my child's last year at Haycock, but I worry about the sanitary conditions at the school, no to mention the safety of the students. Let's hope the administration will address these and other relevant and pressing issues to the current school year and to the needs of all. The school needs a more representative task force that will look after the interests of all students as plans for restructuring and remodeling are about to begin and it is not responsible to leave all of that in the hands of a few, not to say only one. For such a large and diverse school, that is way too much power.

Posted February 20, 2013
The experience we have had at Haycock is the absolute best! I have a Kindergartener and 2nd grader and moved to Virginia this past year. The staff, school and administration as well as the students create a great experience. Our jobs moved us from New Mexico where the school system did not even rate compared to Haycock. We felt welcomed from day one! If anything the staff and PTA over communicate so busy parents will never miss an important announcement. Yes there are 25 students or so in each class. This could be seen as a negative but from my perspective in NM the classes had only 14-18 students and they did a horrible horrible job teaching and communicating. My daughters have done much better here despite the class size! Haycock deserves much praise!

Haycock Elementary School
6616 Haycock Rd, Falls Church, VA  22043
Last modified Haycock Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Haycock Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 41 reviews. Top