Falmouth, VA

Edward E. Drew Jr. Middle School 2

Posted August 13, 2015
Drew is not a good school. The new principle is hands-off and extremely defensive to any parent issues. Other than gym and music, the teachers are very uninspiring. They will adjust classwork and homework down to bring the low achievers up. Liberal social agenda invades the curriculum. One year was enough for us. Our son had great grades, but that is easy to do at Drew, which is the problem. The gifted/focus teacher is neither, just another Drew disappointment. If your child is a high achiever, you will not like this school. Research the reported behavior issues - quadruple the number at other schools.

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted August 13, 2015
There is virtually no homework except for poorly photocopied handouts that lack no instructions. The kicker was misspellings in a spelling test.

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted August 13, 2015
Lots of fights/bullying. Principal is apathetic/combative to concerned parents, e.g. your child is lying about what happened.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted August 13, 2015
Teachers adjust/cancel assigned homework/tests so low kids do not fail. Teaches children that doing your work is a waste of time - it will not be collected. Incentivizes laziness.

Edward E. Drew Jr. Middle School 5

Posted May 19, 2014
My third child is now in 6th grade here at Drew. My older children were students who have moved up to High-School. As far as complaints about the principal, a new principal recently took over. You can ignore anything prior to 2013 regarding the old regime. Every teacher I have met has been wonderful. They showed an interest in each child. They have provided individual support where my kids needed it. The total number of students is low, which helps the administration be more involved than in other schools I have been around.

Edward E. Drew Jr. Middle School 1

Posted November 13, 2013
To be honest I was a former student and this school is very bad. Every single day I was rotting of the bullying. Every day I was teased, discriminated, and fights I was into. I literally didn't want to go to that school.Theteachers didn't help nobody helped me with my problems I had there. For 2 months I didnt go to school I was so aggravated about the problems. This county is known for destroying documents for Bullying reports.t But My wish one day all the kids in the world will never get teased of there weight,disability,type the races they are. There were one teacher who understand my situation He understood his best to help me he was the best person in my middle school career. I personally think this school can get better they need to listen to the students and chose the best discipline. -Submitted By A former student

Edward E. Drew Jr. Middle School 1

Posted September 07, 2013
To understand exactly how Drew works you need to imagine the principal and all the staff sitting down together and saying "How can we make this school as unefficent ass possible?" They completely succeeded if that was there goal. There block days are complete fails leaving different kids in the class on different days so some kids are always behind. Instead of allowing students to go to there lockers between classes time is taken out of fourth period to go to lockers. Instead of having bells the teachers dismiss you so if they forget your out of luck and your tardy. The dress code is way too uptight. The teachers and staff are wildly unhelpful. Not to mention the school is filled with narrow minded people.

Posted June 11, 2008
Well these must be old comments because Drew is a great school I moved there in 2006 to start my seventh grade year and I had no trouble making friends everyone gets along. In my time being there there was only one big fight and it was over very rapidly. Being African American i can say we realli don't learn much about African American history we read two stories relating to slavery and they really did help me understand my history better. Being in 8th grade now I will say tht I am actually sad that I am leaving and I can't say that about much of the schools I have been to.

Edward E. Drew Jr. Middle School 4

Posted October 21, 2007
I do agree with the issue of African American children not being tault enpugh about their culture, however, there are all sorts of spanish, indian and etc celebrations, but not much African American celebrations at all. I will wait and see what happens during black history month feburary

Edward E. Drew Jr. Middle School 5

Posted October 18, 2007
Although Drew is a small middle school, the values and culture and quality of learning and safety is very high. I also, appreciate how all race groups( students) get along with one another.

501 Cambridge St, Falmouth, VA  22405
Last modified Edward E. Drew Jr. Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Edward E. Drew Jr. Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top