Jefferson Forest High School

Public | 9-12 | 1339 students

Student diversity

Posted May 9, 2014

I have two children currently enrolled at JF, on opposite ends of the academic spectrum. One has an IEP and has to work hard for average grades; the other takes all advanced classes and never gets below a B. So I feel that I have "seen it all" in terms of teaching strategies and coursework. It does seem that my child in advanced courses gets the better teachers. That being said, with the exception of 2 teachers (who I wonder why they are still employed), I think they have done their best and really care about my kids. Even my IEP child has passed all his SOLs, which is impressive to me. The band program is easily the best in the area and the director gives 110% effort to make it so. I can't give JF 5 stars, mainly because I come from an area that invests a lot more in its students in terms of funding, and there are things that JF is lacking in comparison. Poor funding by the county is not their fault. They do the best they can with what they are given, and I have been very satisfied as a parent.

Posted April 28, 2014

First off, the only reason I won't give it a 5 star rating is because no school is going to be perfect. As a current student, I find JF to be a great place to attend school. Yes, there are cliques, but we all still understand each other and we don't have wars between the various cliques. I am currently a junior and since freshman year I can only recall maybe two rights, and they were not bad at all- just minor. The band program is easily the best in central Virginia and defiantly in competition for one of the best in the state. The theater and choir programs are both excelling at what they do, each earning various titles for their achievements. The sports teams are all mediocre at least, most are competing for state champion year after year. Lacrosse has recently been added as a sport. The teachers are mostly great, with a few exceptions, but that is objective. With all the AP and pre-AP courses offered it is easy to excel. The administration is great for the number of students there are; they cannot catch everything, but still enforce the rules. The building itself is ion good condition. I highly recommend JF to everyone!

Posted September 6, 2013

I've had three kids progress from Forest Middle School to JFHS, two have moved on to college. I do think that some of the criticisms are warranted. It is a large enough school that various student groups (cliques) exist. I've encountered at least one case of excessive rule based approach by the management. Still, a student that wants to excell can do so here. They have a decent AP and pre-AP program. The band program is the best in the extended area, and many kids participate. The football program is mediocre (which I see as a plus) except for the halftime shows. I have periodically asked my kids about how they are treated and have yet to see a hint of what I had to put up with when I was their age. The bottom line for me is that the two local elementary schools (Forest and TJ) are excellent. Forest Middle school is very good, as is JFHS. My two college age boys are adapting well to the next level. I am happy with this school.

Posted January 3, 2012

JF is simply in the top of the area. I am a current junior. Of the teachers I've had, two were below average, most were average, and maybe five or six have been GREAT. JF offers the most AP classes in the area, and is part of the VASS grant that both pays for the AP test, pays for review sessions for the AP test, and gives both the student and teacher $100 if the student passes the AP test. I have had no qualms with he building. JF has some of the highest test scores in the area. I am lucky enough to be in both the JF Cross Country team and Wind Symphony (Both consistently successful for over 15 years). The soccer and volleyball teams are also often successful. The other arts such as theater are also good, just not at the level of the nearby EC Glass High (the only comparable school in the area). Yes, there are cliques, as in every high school. I am in what would be considered cliques for band (the biggest), Latin (The most fun and diverse), Cross Country (The most...Health Conscious), and CVGS (This one spans multiple schools in the area). People tend to stay in their groups, but they don't resent others. New ones are constantly formed. New students are welcomed with open arms.

Posted January 24, 2011

JF is a great school to which to send your child. There are many course offerings, and they challenge the students to think critically and develop understanding of the world around them. They offer many Advanced Placement courses, and have many students in upper level and advanced classes. The students take pride in their school and most seem to enjoy being there. As others have stated, there are problems with cliques, but that is in any high school in any city or county in the country. I would encourage any parent or student to find a school anywhere in the country or for that matter in the world that doesn't have cliques. I guarentee that you cannot. The staff does a much better job in enforcing the rules, and in making sure that students are respected. Student input in resolving inter-student issues is highly encouraged. I would most definately send my children to JF without any reservations. The education that they receive there goes beyond the classroom to teach them about life and how to interact with people of all types and how to deal with cliques, which students will have to deal with even after school.

Posted August 14, 2010

Great school. Puts the most students in the area through the Gov's school program. Recent ranking 160 best high school in America. Kids had great experience and environment to learn.

Posted June 28, 2010

There are many problems with fights, and selling, buying and trading things. Most families are unsophisticated, insular types. The typical "popular" student drives a pickup or SUV too fast, chews tobacco, smokes, uses crude language. Girls cake on makeup and wear revealing clothes. Quality of education is average for comparable rural Virginia schools. Teachers drag their heels on special needs. Admin focuses entirely on rules. Arts are virtually nonexistent, No hockey or lacrosse. Excellent volleyball. Lynchburg City schools are definitely better: my child has gone to both. JF kids say Glass students think they're a bunch of rich snobs--I'm actually quoting here!--but the reality is that city students think Bedford Cty students are rednecks. The average income and education level of the population from which the school draws is higher in the city. Wish I hadn't bought a home outside city. I'd willingly pay higher taxes for better schools.

Posted March 13, 2010

As a current student, I would give JF a 2 1/2 star rating. JF's an okay school but there is defenitly nothing special about it for the average student. The only things I really consider positive are good test scores and their good band and cross country/soccer teams. However, JF is ruled by cliques-if you're not solely in one, you become a social outcast-and a bunch of extremely judgemental students. Also the so called 'newly renevated' school has problems with water leaking through the ceiling in the brand new part of the building. For the average student who fits in, JF's probarly fine, but for me, it defenitly does not do me any justice.

Posted January 26, 2010

I can't give JF a five star rating, because there are a lot of cliques among students, but I didn't send my son there for the social life. My son has a learning disability which for most of his life had been ignored, pushed away, or even turned around on him as 'laziness' or even 'stupidity.' At JF, I have had several congenial meetings with all of his teachers and the administrators, his disability is addressed head on and on a daily basis, and he is learning faster and getting better grades and standardized scores than ever before. I am thrilled to have found such a fine school.

Posted November 6, 2009

I find this school be a bad example of a learning institution. The administrators appear to be more focused on the rules than the student. 3 out of 10

Posted June 21, 2009

As a previous student, one who has attended three separate high schools, I can honestly say that Jefferson Forest is among the worst high schools I've attended, or seen. The majority of the teachers are sub-standard at best, though I admit, there are some teachers that are well above what one could hope for, which balances out the teaching situation. Beyond that, the school is formed into a mass of cliques that constantly war against each other. That's to be expected to a point, in a high school, but there's virtually no interference by the teachers or administration. In the months that I attended Jefferson Forest, I saw numerous fights, most of which led to rather severe injury to one or both parties. Also, JF is full of drugs changing hands, children dipping in halls, etc. Find a new school for your child.

Posted May 27, 2009

Great teachers and a fun place to go to school!

Posted March 23, 2009

The testing scores speak for themselves... JF is at the top!

Posted March 20, 2007

Jefferson Forest is a school for those who are serious about their educations. Unlike the city schools, Jefferson Forest teachers aren't willing to put up with nonsense and imature behavior in their students. More is expected of JF students both in the areas of academics and personal growth. JF's teachers are top notch and committed to mentoring and developing the growth of the community's youth. For years JF has been the most desired school in the county for parents to send their children to. It's no accident that the largest growth in the county takes place in the Jefferson Forest School district.

Posted September 17, 2006

If you are not part of that click, then you are out and definitely made to feel as if you have no self-worth. I would strongly suggest one seek another high school.

Posted April 23, 2006

JF is a great school. I am proud to say my child attends this school. I can not believe the comment from the person saying jf is two grades behind Lynchburg city schools. The sols speak for themselves on that matter. I have talked to parents from surrounding schools and they are amazed at our parent participation at JF. I feel that my child is getting a good education and has a great group of friends at JF. The forest schools are the only schools that i would want my kids to attend in this area.

Posted February 28, 2006

I think there is far too much favoritism shown and not enough teachers willing to be mentors as well. There is alot of peer pressure at JF.

Posted October 24, 2005

Jefferson Forest is a wonderful school with fantastic academics. The sports program is phenomenal and the band program is the best in Central Virginia. The staff is friendly and the administration does a fine job at supporting our children's education in a safe, healthy environment. The 'mold problem' was addressed over 4 years ago with commendable efficiency and I am not at all concerned with this problem at all now. I would never dream of sending any of my children to a different school within a hundred miles of JF.

Posted October 21, 2005

JF may be academically 'ok', but the teachers do not enforce the dress code.

Posted March 7, 2005

JF is a horrible school...first we had to deal with the cancerous mold problems and now we have to deal with the children being behind two grade levels at least from the surrounding schools. That is why I took my children to Lyncburg City Schools which are by far better.

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 76% in 2013.

175 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 76% in 2013.

359 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 83% in 2013.

365 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 86% in 2013.

305 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 83% in 2013.

147 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 89% in 2013.

334 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 87% in 2013.

330 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 76% in 2013.

318 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 59% in 2013.

Virginia and United States History

The state average for Virginia and United States History was 86% in 2013.

325 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 85% in 2013.

World History I

The state average for World History I was 84% in 2013.

15 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History II

The state average for World History II was 85% in 2013.

382 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) End-of-Course tests to assess students in reading, writing, math, science and history/social science subjects at the end of each course, regardless of the student's grade level. The SOL End-of-Course tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. High school students must pass at least six SOL End-of-Course tests to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Algebra I

Students with disabilities55%
Students without disabilities87%
Proficient in English86%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Virginia Department of Education

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1 Cavalier Circle