PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

My three children attended Timberlake Christian School so overall we had over 25 years of experience there. Over the years, and especially more recently, the school has worked diligently to upgrade the curriculum and academics to provide a challenging education. You can look at their graduation and college matriculation rates to see that they rank high nationally in these areas. Students have gone on to attend some of the top schools in VA and the nation and are known to be well-educated people. The school's focus is to provide students with a first class education and a solid Christian foundation.

This school needs to be shut down. Any institution led by people who think it is OK to expel a little girl for cutting her hair short, citing "Biblical reasons" does not deserve the privilege of teaching young people. I am so horrified. No amount of explanation could suffice.

I went to this school from 1st-12th. I will be the first to tell you it isn't perfect. the academics could use improvement and the teaching staff could use an overhaul. however the administration, namely the elementary principal and HS principal are very good, christian people. i don't know everything surrounding this new dispute but parents sending their kids here see the guidelines and rules and sign a contract agreeing to it. overall i recommend this school, academically challenging enough, better than basic public school, and the community available to the students is beyond anything you will find elsewhere.

We have three children attending TCS, one in preschool, one in elementary, and one in middle school, so we are fortunate to have a fairly wide-sweeping view of the school, and we LOVE it. The preschool program is amazing! I was hesitant to enroll my son because my opinion of preschool was that it was glorified daycare BUT, boy was I wrong! In a few short months he was reading, and, most importantly, he loves it and I feel safe leaving him with such caring adults. My elementary aged child has really blossomed this year in a classroom that emphasizes loving grace. She went from being afraid to make mistakes to understanding that she was loved and supported even if she wasn't successful at first. And now, with that confidence, she is excelling and looks forward to every day. My middle schooler loves the environment and the opportunities in sports, drama, and chorus. She comes home singing. Even on the hard days (it is, after all, middle school) we feel confident, through our relationships with her teachers, that we could not ask for more godly, caring people to guide her and nurture her when we can't be there. TCS is impressive academically and as a spiritual partner.

The 2008 review got it right. Tragically, this school is pretending to be something it's not. Very low educational standards; but worse, such low standards of teacher conduct. Administration seems to exist purely for sheltering the teachers and perpetuating this pretense. A truly sad situation. It's hard to feel sorry for the parents who silently enable all of this.

Our children have attended TCS for many year from Preschool up to high school There are so many good things about the school, but it certainly is not a GREAT school. Students participate in many activities and the extra-curricular offerings are excellent. The drama and music is extraordinary; the athletics is very good-especially soccer and volleyball. The elementary sports program (I think it is run by church) is absolutely fantastic!! Academics are so-so. MSmath is VERY weak and Language Arts has been ok (teacher who left was sweet but not challenging enough for kids). The high school teacher is more demanding and thorough. Elementary teachers are above average and very caring. Academics in the younger grades is better. The teachers in high school care about the kids but don't really push the kids to greatness. One concern is too many international students!!!!

I cant believe the first review! It is so far from anything i have ever seen at TCS I cant believe the person really went there!

While we know some wonderful staff at TCS, overall our experience has been very disappointing. While advertising a Christian worldview, TCS inexplicably uses public school currriculum in many classes. From what we have seen, the middle school math program is a great disservice to the children. While numerous parents are aware of this, there appears to be a culture of silence at TCS that inhibits addressing the obvious problems. The TCS handbook reads fairly well, even encouraging open communication and emphasizing a Christian worldview. Sadly, in practice the handbood is largely ignored. Bottom line...a school portraying itself as something it's not and a number of disappointed but silent parents wishing for a better altenative.

I've gone to TCS since the 9th grade, and I highly recommend it to those who wish to become involved in their high school. Each year, I've been able to participate in more activities than I would have been able to at other private schools, such as: playing fall soccer, winter basketball, and spring soccer; acting in the school's musicals; speaking in school chapels; being on the yearbook staff; and being an officer in the National Honor Society and the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. The student body is small enough for everyone to know each other, while large enough to produce championship teams, stunning musicals, and excellent academics.

An incredible learning environment. Advanced curriculum and very knowledgeable staff. Great opportunities for sports and theatrical involvement.

Last modified Timberlake Christian Schools is a Private school that serves grades PK-12