Fork Union, VA

Posted August 06, 2014
Send your kids some place else or international. The international option worked better for us. My wife and I learned our lesson after spending thousands of dollars on this school!! Along with other kids my son was kicked out of Fork Union for smoking tobacco. My son never smoked tobacco but he happened to make friendship with a guy who provided the tobacco. Fork Union would never listen to our explanation. Instead they dismissed my son from their school with in a few days and charged us the rest of the unpaid balance. We had no option but to pay rest of the money. I still remember that day. My husband and I had tears running out of our eyes. My son was depressed for a month or so until we send him to a better school oversee. And it was cheaper. So parents beware! This school is not what their image portrays. The education quality is ok. It's not any better than public school. Behind the closed doors it's pure business and taking away parents hard earned money. I agree with other parents here, save your money and take your kids away from here! It's sad sometimes we learn the hard way and that's why I'm sharing my story with other parents.

Posted May 30, 2014
PARENTS BE WARNED! You must give up all your rights when sending your child to FUMA. You are then subject to an extreme sort of twisted judicial system where cadets are not allowed representation or to be judged by their peers. Our Honor Roll/Deans List/NHS Sr was booted 2 credits from graduation for tobacco use. Tens of thousands of dollars later, a highly motivated and as stated by faculty "loved by all" young man was kicked out for tobacco. Yes, that's right. Hard to believe I know. Having past military service, I can say this "Military" Acad is now run by administrative hacks who know nothing about military discipline. Those few staff with backgrounds in non-administrative fields are the cream of the crop. Unfortunately, they're kept tightly under control, helpless to change anything despite recognizing the decline of this "Military Academy". The Sr faculty members who should have retired years ago, govern with no clue what military discipline is and just go along with the PC admin types to keep their jobs. PARENTS!!! Think LONG and HARD about your decision to enroll your child here. They paint a rosy picture, but military & religion are far from flourishing at FUMA anymore.

Posted May 30, 2014
UNETHICAL DISCIPLINE at this "Christian" military school. Arbitrary dismissal of honor student touted by faculty as "having great potential" & "going places". Senior & officer, friend & counselor to other students after suicide last fall, TWO credits from graduation, expelled for tobacco violation. No CHAIN OF DISCIPLINE! No demerits given, demotion, no marching. No life lesson learned other than rejection. No counsel or forgiveness. Just expelled. Out. After thousands of $$$. Beware parents as IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU. This is NOT sour grapes. This is WRONG! - Concerned Aunt

Posted May 18, 2014
My sons experience in the Middle School has been great. He was an excellent student before he enrolled but needed the extra challenge that FUMA represents. Sending him is one of the best choices we have ever made. He has enrolled for the Upper School next year and looks forward to that as well. I thank God this oppurtunity presented itself for him. FUMA emabraces the "Mind, Body and Spirit" as they say they do. As for some of the negative reviews I've read I can only speak on my families experience, but serious diciplinary issues or repeated rule violations are not tolerated at FUMA and they tell you this from the start. I hope your children rebounded at another School and indeed found success. Also, no favoritism is granted to any Cadet for any reason even if there parents are administrators. The Cadets must earn everything by doing the right thing and working hard. Go FUMA!

Posted March 29, 2014
I am a friend of FUMA. I read all reviews posts on this site. I congratulate those cadets who succeeded in meeting FUMA's mission and goal. The comments posted on this site from parents and former cadets, positive or negative, given FUMA's structure and student enrollment size, have given me an affirmation that FUMA lives up to its mission and values of building "solid citizens" who embody the values of integrity, honor, duty, self-discipline, and service to others. My best wishes to FUMA, parents and cadets, administrators, faculty and staff for continued success in educating and building future effective leaders and solid citizens.

Posted February 11, 2014
As I couldn't return to my old school and public schools in the area weren't viable, I decided to attend Fork Union my sophomore year of high school. I took it as a second chance - my parents sacrificed a lot for me to attend and I promised myself I would make the most of my opportunity. I had a chance at success -- and I took it. I see several parents complaining about the school and I couldn't disagree more. The stage was set for your son to succeed and he simply didn't play his part - nothing more needs to be said. In addition, parents remark that cadets receive rank via donations - yet my family has never donated a cent and I am a Company Commander - one of the top positions in the academy. Promotions result from hard work, not donations. Fork Union changed my life, and it can certainly change your son's in a positive way if he is willing to put forth effort. For example, I now have a 4.1 GPA and have a chance of attending a Service Academy - something I could never have dreamed of before. I am proud to attend Fork Union and I strongly recommend giving it a chance. God bless. --Cadet, Class of 2015

Posted July 31, 2013
We sent our son to school at FUMA and it was a waste of time and money. He was kicked out for smoking and we lost thousands of dollars. The administrators pressured us to "withdraw" so their record would look good but I would not go along. Their unusual single focus curriculum means that children who leave FUMA cannot easily integrate into other high schools. It was a waste.

Posted February 07, 2013
I graduated from Fork Union in 2004. I wouldn't have gone to college, graduate school or recieved a good well paying job if I hadn't gone. The parents that are talking about them being money hungry are probably mostly those parents whose kids get kicked out. If you get kicked out you don't get reimbursed fully. For me, I still had enough fear in my parents that the 20 some thousand dollar anger from my Dad if I would have been kicked out is one of the reasons for my success. A lot of people send kids to FUMA who need reform school not a military college prep school. Kids with sever disciplinary problems don't belong at that school. This is a school that helps really good students get to where they need to go (academies, good public/private univ) and help bad students learn time management, organization, confidence and self pride. I just looked at the reviews so I would see what my Uncle is seeing since he is thinking of sending my little cousin. I think it's funny that the place is always still the same. It doesn't change much over time and that's the point. Hard work, discipline, ethics and morality are pretty time tested priciples that don't need to change.

Posted October 01, 2012
My son is currently attending his first year at FUMA he is in the 8th grade. I found the admission, interview and overall interaction with the staff to be very positive. Its only been a month but my son is doing his homework, his test scores still need some work but I have to say the teachers have been very supportive to him and he understands that they have an expectation of him. The one thing that I like the most and my son seems to really thrive on is that at FUMA he is a cadet not a cadet with ADHD . He is not isolated or singled out and he is treated fairly and something that is very important to him he is treated like everyone else. So yes he has earned his share of demerits alot less than I thought he would. His self confidence has picked up, and he walks with his head up high. He wants to be independent and responsible and wants me to see that he is capable of being trusted and I don't need to go behind because he knows what he is suppose to do and will just do it. No admission is not free but its is the best investment that I could have ever made. Sending your son to Fork Union Military Academy will prepare your son to do great things and make him a better person.

Posted April 30, 2012
Fork Union administrators care about one thing...tuition. They are insincere and this is a business only. They hide behind a this military farse, structured discipline, polite charade, and "Christian" values....all of which are one big front to pay their salary. They will say anything to cover up the facts that they dont want you to know.

Fork Union Military Academy
4744 James Madison Highway, Fork Union, VA  23055
Last modified Fork Union Military Academy is a Private school that serves grades 6-12
Fork Union Military Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top