Fort Belvoir, VA
Students enrolled: 1,174

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted May 31, 2015
They spend majority of the day (year) prepping the kids for testing. Homework is abundant and majority is things they "don't have time to finish" in class due to crazy test prep pressure.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted May 31, 2015
The administration are terrible. A handful of Teachers are there that truly care about teaching and the welfare of the students. This school is by far the worst school I have ever seen or been involved in.

Fort Belvoir Elementary School 3

Posted May 06, 2015
I have a son in 6th grade. We were so excited this year because we found out he had been placed in Mrs. Ordile's class. From everything we had heard in the community she was the top teacher. She was kind and caring and knew how to maintain a positive classroom. Mrs. O had high standards for her students and always encouraged them to put their best effort into everything they did. My son has never liked school but with Mrs. O's phenomenal expertise in teaching he loved school and his grades sky rocketed. Sadly, we received news in December that Mrs. Ordile would be leaving for personal reasons. As parents we were disappointed to see such an amazing educator leave a school that was lacking in her passion and positive attitude about education. Following her departure my son had several subs before the school hired Ms. Millonig. Ms. Millonig is not a bad teacher but can't be compared to Mrs. Ordile. We feel that our son is not being prepared for middle school at the same level he was in the beginning of the year. Since the 3 years we have been at Fort Belvoir there has been a lot of turnover with good teachers, which makes me question what is going on behind the scenes!

Fort Belvoir Elementary School 4

Posted January 23, 2015
We moved to the area this past summer. I have a son in kindergarten and Fifth grade. I was concerned with the reviews I had previously read but I have not experienced any issues or concerns so far. My son's kindergarten teacher is amazing. She provides developmental and age appropriate teaching strategies for individual children and makes kindergarten fun. My son's fifth grade teacher has seen that my son struggles with organizational skills and has worked with him to improve is attentiveness and he is excelling this year. Please, do not be concerned about sending your child to this school.
5 people found this helpful

Fort Belvoir Elementary School 5

Posted September 14, 2014
This is the second year my son has attended Fort Belvoir Elementary School. We have had a great experience thus far. His Kindergarten teacher was amazing and so is his First grade teacher this year. My son has health problems which require me to go to the school twice a day to care for him and everyone in the school has been nothing but accommodating. When I had issues with things that were going on I never had to wait to get them sorted out. The principle and assistant principle saw me right away I think I waited 5 minuets tops. The ladies in the office are so kind and have done everything possible to make my visits each day as smooth as possible. It is a large school with lots of children and parents so yes the office can be hectic at times but I think they manage well.

Fort Belvoir Elementary School 4

Posted September 13, 2014
My school is Fort Belvoir Elementary. I currently have two of my children attending, I strongly believe this is an exceptional school. Last year my children attended first and third grades. The teachers in these two grades provided a excellent education opportunity for my children. The afterschool program of STEM and the additional tutoring enhance the overall experience. The teachers stay late beyond their required contract hours preparing plans and sharing ideas on how to nurture and develop their students minds for their utmost capabilities. The difficulties I have seen encounter there derive more from parents believing their rank (or should I say their spouse's rank entitle them to special considerations outside the very rules put in place for the security of our children. If parents spent more time with their children developing their reading, writing and math skills at home and less time indulging their own enjoyments on their computers and iphones then their children would be better prepared for the world.

Fort Belvoir Elementary School 2

Posted September 09, 2014
Sadly with the new principal arriving last year the school has rapidly declined. The office staff doesn't really care. They are too busy chatting each other up. Most of the teachers just don't care. For each grade there are good teachers. This school has had revolving doors when it comes to the staff. Every year you see new teachers. One teacher last year informed that ,"Parents are NOT allowed to park and walk their children into the school." Needless to say she also got slapped. One of the counselors asked what was going on. I informed her that I had walking my son in to the school for over 2 yrs. and now some "new" teacher thinks she's going to tell I can't? Wrong answer. Then with the new principal, your children can not hand out birthday invites ( we give them to whole class). No homemade anything, must be individually wrapped & store bought?! And the parents are discouraged from taking their kids to class in the mornings. Followed with , why are you here? , for what reason , where, and you can't do that , the teachers don't want to have to deal with parents before school.

Fort Belvoir Elementary School 1

Posted September 08, 2014
If I could control the rating the school would not even receive 1 star. First and foremost this is a horrible school. The new principal could careless about the interest and education of the students who attend. She knowingly allows teachers to mistreat children even when the teacher admits to it and it's beyond all rules to act in such manner. Some teachers honestly should no be teachers especially those with children entering kindergarten. Time to take this to higher levels.

Fort Belvoir Elementary School 5

Posted July 28, 2014
I have two children who have attended kindergarten and first grade at Fort Belvoir Elementary. Both of my kids are excelling and enjoying the classroom/school learning environment. Their teachers were phenomenal; I don't know how they do it! Based on this website, I was afraid that the student body was too large, discipline was a problem, and the education was lacking. That is not so! There is a large library for them to use, even parents are welcome! There is nothing lacking - science lab/STEM programs, art, music, PE, and the normal subjects. My kids LOVE it at Fort Belvoir and they certainly are high performers. The teachers and administration care for the students and it shows.

Fort Belvoir Elementary School 2

Posted July 19, 2014
This school is completely overcrowded and the staff have just given up. With the exception of about 1/2 of the Teachers, the school is just not good.

5970 Meeres Rd, Fort Belvoir, VA  22060
Last modified Fort Belvoir Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Fort Belvoir Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 49 reviews. Top