Fort Eustis, VA

Posted December 08, 2014
General Stanford Elementary School is amazing. My kids have been there for nearly three years (k-4, depending on the kid) and their education has been great. The teachers are extremely attentive and willing to work with my kids. One of mine was having problems and even the Vice Principal jumped in, had him tested for gifted, and created a team to help him excel. They're still available, if needed, to this day. I had a great time volunteering in the school. I only give parent involvement a four because it's really, really difficult to get volunteers for events. But the staff, faculty, and administration demonstrate a true love for the students and they know them by name. I'm devastated to have to move, as are my children. My only issues are the recess schedule (no recess if they had gym class that day) and the lack of music program (no instrument lessons, choir, band, or orchestra). Otherwise, it's great.

General Stanford Elementary School 2

Posted February 04, 2013
Until this year I thought this was a rather decent school for my kids to attend. This year I feel as though the administration has become overly focused on rules and regulations and less focused on the needs of the children. The children seem to be a hindrance. I suppose it may be a symptom of a larger issue, that of parents not teaching their kids at home how to behave properly. There are many classroom distractions and from what my child conveys, kids disrupt the class so often by talking when they should be quiet that it s tough to get work done. It s very disappointing. If your child is obedient, excels academically, and is able to follow rules, don t expect them to get much attention at this school. Just be sure to give them that attention at home and know they won t have to be at this school for too long!

General Stanford Elementary School 2

Posted June 05, 2012
Poor school! Never ask for parent volunteers. Never respond to questions or concerns. I would ask to vlunteer and was told no several times. Principal is decent but teacher of the year is a poor excuse for excellence. I get attitude when I voice concerns about bullying. I removed my daughter due to the poor professionalism and negative responses.

General Stanford Elementary School 3

Posted February 26, 2011
This school has some good points. It is a newly built school and some of the teachers that work there are amazing. The biggest problem with this school is the leadership. The principal does not in my opinion care one bit for the students who attend his school. The school bends the rules when it comes to things such as PTA and other issues. I believe if the leadership within the school was changed it would be a much better school and our children would greatly benefit.

General Stanford Elementary School 3

Posted August 30, 2010
My kids went to school at Gen Stanford last year. I have to honestly say I was not too impressed. My kids were very bored because they were not challenged. They complained that the teachers were boring and that they did not teach with excitement and enthusiasm. I was surprised to see that parent involvement got a 3 star rating. This was one of my biggest complaints about GS. They do not ask for parents to volunteer for anything! Many of us parents felt like the school/administration did not want us to be involved. They do not even ask for parents to chaperone for field trips. The good news is that the PTA is a new faces. I think this is exactly what this school needed.

Posted May 31, 2009
I just love this school and the teachers are the best.....I wish my children could go from K-12 with these type of teachers!

Posted May 05, 2009
I absolutely love this school, the teachers and the administration. I have done a lot of volunteering in the school, so I have been able to get an inside look. Everyone is helpful and eager to address any issue. This is the BEST school NNPS has, and its sad, but it is only for children who live on Fort Eustis.

General Stanford Elementary School 4

Posted August 21, 2007
I love the fact that there are so many people willing to help you and your child at this school, even the principle will take time out to talk to you. The teachers are wonderful, if they are busy they will always get back with you and at times have an inpromtue meeting if you have concerns with the class or your child. Newport News school system does seem to be the only thing that makes this school seem very frustrating for the parents. If our family hadn't moved my child would be going there for a third year and I haven't had a problem that wasn't easily addressed.

Posted July 25, 2007

General Stanford Elementary School 4

Posted May 31, 2007
The elementary school is great, but the Newport News Public School System (NNPS) is frustrating. General Stanford has helped me with working with our special needs child. They are able to accommodate children with mild learning disorders.

General Stanford Elementary School
929 Madison Ave., Fort Eustis, VA  23604
Last modified General Stanford Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
General Stanford Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top