Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

My son was in 1st grade in 2013-2014 and it was his first year at Bes. He went to Salem for K. I was worried that his transition would be hard because he was at a school without friends. He had a great first grade year and I credit it to his teacher. Mrs.Sumter who was teacher of the year made him feel loved and cared about. It was clear that all of her students loved her and I even had a mom prior to school starting say that she hoped my son got Mrs. Sumter. I liked her choice of behavior management because it did not humiliate children. It reinforced that children need to take responsibility for their behavior. She was nurturing and encouraging and always fair. She has been a teacher for over 10 years and really works hard to give ALL children the best education. I could not have asked for a better teacher and although I am not a fan of an open concept school, it is far from loud and distracting! So thankful that Mrs.Sumter made a huge impact on my son's first grade year and he still loves her to pieces.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Kindergarten here was a great experience. Unfortunately, 1st grade was the WORST. The teacher (who had been teacher of the year the prior year) was unwilling to help my child. She used techniques of shaming and humiliation to force children into behaving (Forcing children to stand at the wall and watch the other children during recess, name on the board, etc). She was not patient and was insensitive to student needs. Because my child was performing on or above grade level, they refused to test my child for any disabilities. Then, when I was seeking outside medical help, his teacher REFUSED to complete the medical evaluation. This impacted the diagnosis my child received, because the psychiatrist lacked the information needed. The principal supported the teachers decision. I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND THIS SCHOOL. In addition, there are no walls/doors once you enter the building. Classroom separation is done by filing cabinets, bookshelves, etc. It is very noisy and distracting. FIND ANOTHER SCHOOL!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

Excellent school, strong administration, overall very good teachers. I had two sons in this school and we are pleased with almost all the teachers.

<3 this school! I had two children attending their first year here, 2012-2013 school year. My daughter in K was having a very difficult time reading. Her teache,r Mrs.Cronk, went above and beyond for her throughout the school year. My daughter is reading ALL the time now and actually enjoys it! My other child, diagnosed ADD, was in 5th grade. His teacher, Ms.Miranda, was AMAZING. She instilled in him a confidence that was never there before....The staff and school have were very welcoming and pleasant through our whole first year!

My wife and I were concerned because our daughter could already read at a second-grade level when she entered kindergarten. We were extremely concered that she would be bored with the level of instruction. We needn't have worried. Our daughter's teacher (Mrs. Johnson) has decades of experience and decades of dedication, and found ways to engage our daughter throughout the learning day. Bottom line: Our kindergartener loves her school and loves her teacher. She is always learning and investigating everything that she does, and we credit Mrs. Johnson at Battlefield for stoking that learning fire in our child. This week, she is badgering us (mom and dad) about the details of how Santa delivers all of his brand-name toys in the span of 12 hours. This is what happens when you encourage a child to investigate. Now it's up to us to be creative and come up with a response that will satisfy a very bright 5-year-old.

My daughter used to love school...until she enrolled in Battlefield Elem. Now my kid who would cry if she was too sick to go to school, cries NOT to go to school. Every year I have to request a transfer from the classroom they put her in because the teachers want to be cruel, uncaring, as well as dismissive of the parents. Then I would have to fight and fight, and they would put her in another class, and it would be only a little better, but still really bad. The staff is very patronizing and spiteful. My daughter was getting A's in math for 2 grading periods. The 3rd grading period she suddenly recieved an F, and the fourth it went back to an A. All because in the 3rd grading period, I began to push about my daughter going into the Gifted program. Now most parents know, there is no way a straight A student can have such a dramatic drop in a grade, especially when I see all her graded papers have A's and B's on it. Next year I'm transferring my child to a different school in the district. I can not allow her to deal with BES anymore.

My son was in kindergarten and was switched out of his classroom with only 3 weeks left of school. The teacher did not want to answer questions I had about my child's education and was told she did not want to deal with me therefore it would be better for my son to be in another classroom. I wasn't even told about the switch until after it happened when he came home from school. He was traumatized by the event and even cried and asked for his mother. He is now attending private school and is still suffering from the incident that day. His doctor sent the school a note stating it was not medically feasible to switch a child out of his classroom. The principal still did not care and would not let my son finish the year in his class. I had to pull him out of his kindergarten year and he could not even say bye to his friends. He is still going through a lot because of this. Also, this school does not teach phonics and therefore, a lot of children will have problems with reading. They are taught to memorize words and not how to sound them out. Many children here struggle. With my son, he started there knowing more than when he left.

Battlefield Elementary is the worst school in the county when it comes to education. I was lied to about my son's academic ability. The score on his PALS test he was given was a complete falsification. I had him tested by another kindergarten teacher that I knew personally and it proved that the school was not honest. They wanted to pull my son out of his class the next school year for remedial reading help because of this test score and he didn't even need it. His report card was exceptional and there was never any indication of any problems with his reading. Be careful that they are not doing this to your child for funding purposes. The principal totally disregarded my concerns and told me to leave the school and take my son with me. I can't believe a principal is capable of these kinds of actions and that the county allows it.

Last modified Battlefield Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.