Spotswood Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 537 students

Student diversity

Extended care

The school has not provided this information yet.

Posted October 20, 2014

We recently moved to the area summer of 2014. I had read very mixed reviews on Spotswood and that left me a little apprehensive. After speaking with my husband and having a long talk with our children we decided we would be OK moving to a home in the Spotswood school district. I am happy this far with the school. I've become involved with the school and I see how much the new principal, staff and PTO genuinely care for the students. After speaking with both of my children's teachers, the teachers are working diligently to bring the scores of the curriculum up. It is our job as the parents to stay in communication with our children and the school on progress and what goes on during the school day. I am pleased with Spotswood Elementary. It's a great community and I'm happy. My children do too!!

Posted May 8, 2014

This is my Grandson's first experience with formal schooling, he is in Kindergarden, and I must say his teachers are GREAT!!!! They are very supportive and involved in ensuring each student reaches their potential. We are very pleased with the school.

Posted May 7, 2014

The teachers and office staff here are very sweet and the principle is very capable. We like the open campus and play grounds. Everything feels very safe. The only issue we have is the curriculum. It's sadly lacking. We've been in two other counties in Virginia and they were both academically challenging, we were expecting the same or similar from Spotsylvania County schools. If it weren't for that this school would be amazing. Wonderful people.

Posted April 17, 2014

I think the ratings of this school are misleading. It is a great school with wonderful teachers. It is older and in a quiet, safe neighborhood. Many great students. Like any school and child, if you work hard and parents involved you will do well. Students do excel here. There are students bused in that struggle.

Posted April 10, 2014

I am not sure why this school continues to get a bad reputation. Sure there may have been issues in the distant past but when Ms. Monroe took over as principal it changed the entire culture of the school. The teachers there are top notch and the administration can handle any incident swiftly and professionally. As a parent I am concern with my children's education not the looks of the school. Sure its an older facility but its what happens inside the facility that really counts. I am proud that my children attend here. Security of the children is the most import agenda of this school and you feel that the moment you enter the campus. An open campus presents a unique challenge but the staff has systems in place to ensure the school is as safe as any other if not more. The PTO has a sound group to lead, they just need better parent participation. Its easy to point fingers but often the finger pointers are not willing to offer any help . Sure everyone is busy but it takes an entire community to make a school great.

Posted March 24, 2014

We have been looking to buy a house and came upon a house in this school district.Looking from the below downswings on the scores. A Gauge to us that we should move to another school district. We wonder why the homes in this school district are most reasonably priced. Having three children under the age of eight. We will keep looking to set down our roots elsewhere. Thank you Great schools and parents for your feedback.

Posted March 21, 2014

As a teacher at Spotswood, I want to explain why we have students raise their hands during an assembly. (We call it "Give me five") This is part of our school wide system that allows all adults to get students' attention in a quiet manner, but very quickly. Many schools nationwide use this Responsive Classroom technique. This is not meant to control students, but model and encourage quick attention to the teacher or administrator. As a teacher, teachers leaving a school is not always a bad thing. Our focus on working hard to meet all students needs may have not been the philosophy for some who left.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 20, 2014

We have been very happy with the leadership of Principal Monroe. She is a staunch advocate and protector of all the children in her care, and she put a decisive end to any hint of bullying towards our child as soon as she was informed of any issues. The teachers are dedicated and caring, and the Scope program is excellent and challenging for the students. While not as architecturally appealing as newer schools, Spotswood is a supportive and encouraging learning environment.

Posted February 18, 2014

I admit that I was nervous about the reviews I have read on this site and others but I am very happy so far. The staff is great and my daughter's teacher is amazing. I love that the PTO is involved. My only complaint is how many snow days they have when there is no snow on the ground and how there is no recess below 50 degrees but I understand that's a VA thing

Posted October 5, 2013

My nephew and niece attended Spotswood some time ago. My mother was a parent volunteer for the years they were there and always had high praise for its staff. My daughter is enrolled there by my choice rather than at the assigned school. For the past three years, she has had wonderful, caring teachers and a principal who knows her by name, as she does all of the children in her charge. The PTO and its president are very active in working in the best interests of the school and its students. I could not wish for a staff that is more involved with the children and their parents. Various offers are made throughout the year for special meetings with the principal to share thoughts and ideas. As a teacher myself, I know what is involved within each school and I gladly place my daughter in the care of Spotswood's staff each school day. SPOTSWOOD ELEMENTARY is a great school and I am proud to award it five stars in every category!

Posted September 4, 2013

As a former educator at this school, I don't think the person that commented about the safety of this school has "an ax to grind". I think they are telling it how it is. Many teachers have left this school because of unsafe and unprofessional conditions, myself included. We are all just wondering when the school board is going to realize they need to DO SOMETHING!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 19, 2013

Wow the person who posted on January 12 really has an ax to grind! Spotswood is a typical elementary school in a mixed income area with a very dedicated faculty. Unique in its open campus style, it seems that much consideration is given to safety and this design as I NEVER see students alone. Perhaps the person who wrote the Jan review received what s/he thought was a 'rude' teacher b/c of the way that s/he acted? I have been involved with this school for more than 2 decades and while it has had its ups and downs, it always puts the children first. School violence is non-existent - it is an elementary school. Living in the neighborhood, I see kids with balls at recess every single day. That person certainly was mad about something. However, when checking out schools, always visit for yourself!

Posted January 12, 2013

This school is quite possibly the worst in the county. The school has an "open campus" and small children are often walking around outside alone . The teachers send 5 year old's with a partner to pick up and deliver items to/from the office. The schools violence level is off the charts. The children are not even allowed to play with balls at recess because the administration can not control the students. The entire school has an air of intense stress and unhappiness. It is more like a policed state than a light and airy place for young minds to learn. The teachers are rude and angry and do not like the presence of parents for fear it would curtail their horrible treatment of the children. STAY AWAY FROM THIS SCHOOL AT ALL COSTS!

Posted August 31, 2007

I love how all the admin. staff and many of the teachers (even ones that my children have never had) know my kids' names, know that my husband and I 'belong' with my kids, and say 'hello' and smile at everyone! I've been very impressed with how they fit in Spanish language every week. I like how involved the PE teacher is with bringing special events to the school and getting many kids to participate (last year she had a before-school fitness program). My oldest had a tough time with the adding/subtracting/multiplying part of math in third grade and her teacher really encouraged my daughter and us to work on her skills. All in all, I'm really pleased with the school and the education my kids are getting there.

Posted August 31, 2007

I have been impressed by Spotswood Elementary. It appears that standardized testing scores are trending upward, and the teachers seem genuine in their attention to children s needs. The programs offered outside of normal school hours have been well administered and they cover a wide range of topics that allow for a larger base of general knowledge. We make it a point to have our children ride the bus on most days, and I have been pleased by the professionalism of the bus drivers. It is my belief that this school (and possibly the entire school system) is on an upswing. Although I am not a teacher, my undergraduate degree was in education and I use a critical eye when viewing programs and activities in which my children are involved. I expect this school to earn a 5 star rating in the next couple of years.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 72% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 87% in 2012.

75 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 84% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests to assess students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, writing in grades 5 and 8, and science in grades in 3, 5 and 8. The SOL tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 70% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 84% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 73% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 71% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 89% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students56%

Students with disabilities36%
Students without disabilities80%
Proficient in English76%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. Data is not reported when there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school.

All Students58%

Not economically disadvantaged80%
Students without disabilities76%
Proficient in English72%

Source: Virginia Department of Education

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Librarian/media specialist(s)
School counslor
Art teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Arts & music

Staff resources available to students
  • Art teacher(s)

• Robin Monroe

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Standards-based
Level of special education programming offered

Staff resources available to students
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • School counslor
Extra learning resources offered
  • Counseling
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
  • Join PTO/PTA

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

400 Lorraine Ave