Posted October 20, 2014
We recently moved to the area summer of 2014. I had read very mixed reviews on Spotswood and that left me a little apprehensive. After speaking with my husband and having a long talk with our children we decided we would be OK moving to a home in the Spotswood school district. I am happy this far with the school. I've become involved with the school and I see how much the new principal, staff and PTO genuinely care for the students. After speaking with both of my children's teachers, the teachers are working diligently to bring the scores of the curriculum up. It is our job as the parents to stay in communication with our children and the school on progress and what goes on during the school day. I am pleased with Spotswood Elementary. It's a great community and I'm happy. My children do too!!

Posted May 08, 2014
This is my Grandson's first experience with formal schooling, he is in Kindergarden, and I must say his teachers are GREAT!!!! They are very supportive and involved in ensuring each student reaches their potential. We are very pleased with the school.

Spotswood Elementary School 2

Posted May 07, 2014
The teachers and office staff here are very sweet and the principle is very capable. We like the open campus and play grounds. Everything feels very safe. The only issue we have is the curriculum. It's sadly lacking. We've been in two other counties in Virginia and they were both academically challenging, we were expecting the same or similar from Spotsylvania County schools. If it weren't for that this school would be amazing. Wonderful people.

Spotswood Elementary School 4

Posted April 17, 2014
I think the ratings of this school are misleading. It is a great school with wonderful teachers. It is older and in a quiet, safe neighborhood. Many great students. Like any school and child, if you work hard and parents involved you will do well. Students do excel here. There are students bused in that struggle.

Posted April 10, 2014
I am not sure why this school continues to get a bad reputation. Sure there may have been issues in the distant past but when Ms. Monroe took over as principal it changed the entire culture of the school. The teachers there are top notch and the administration can handle any incident swiftly and professionally. As a parent I am concern with my children's education not the looks of the school. Sure its an older facility but its what happens inside the facility that really counts. I am proud that my children attend here. Security of the children is the most import agenda of this school and you feel that the moment you enter the campus. An open campus presents a unique challenge but the staff has systems in place to ensure the school is as safe as any other if not more. The PTO has a sound group to lead, they just need better parent participation. Its easy to point fingers but often the finger pointers are not willing to offer any help . Sure everyone is busy but it takes an entire community to make a school great.

Spotswood Elementary School 1

Posted March 24, 2014
We have been looking to buy a house and came upon a house in this school district.Looking from the below downswings on the scores. A Gauge to us that we should move to another school district. We wonder why the homes in this school district are most reasonably priced. Having three children under the age of eight. We will keep looking to set down our roots elsewhere. Thank you Great schools and parents for your feedback.

Posted March 21, 2014
As a teacher at Spotswood, I want to explain why we have students raise their hands during an assembly. (We call it "Give me five") This is part of our school wide system that allows all adults to get students' attention in a quiet manner, but very quickly. Many schools nationwide use this Responsive Classroom technique. This is not meant to control students, but model and encourage quick attention to the teacher or administrator. As a teacher, teachers leaving a school is not always a bad thing. Our focus on working hard to meet all students needs may have not been the philosophy for some who left.

Posted March 20, 2014
We have been very happy with the leadership of Principal Monroe. She is a staunch advocate and protector of all the children in her care, and she put a decisive end to any hint of bullying towards our child as soon as she was informed of any issues. The teachers are dedicated and caring, and the Scope program is excellent and challenging for the students. While not as architecturally appealing as newer schools, Spotswood is a supportive and encouraging learning environment.

Posted February 18, 2014
I admit that I was nervous about the reviews I have read on this site and others but I am very happy so far. The staff is great and my daughter's teacher is amazing. I love that the PTO is involved. My only complaint is how many snow days they have when there is no snow on the ground and how there is no recess below 50 degrees but I understand that's a VA thing

Posted October 05, 2013
My nephew and niece attended Spotswood some time ago. My mother was a parent volunteer for the years they were there and always had high praise for its staff. My daughter is enrolled there by my choice rather than at the assigned school. For the past three years, she has had wonderful, caring teachers and a principal who knows her by name, as she does all of the children in her charge. The PTO and its president are very active in working in the best interests of the school and its students. I could not wish for a staff that is more involved with the children and their parents. Various offers are made throughout the year for special meetings with the principal to share thoughts and ideas. As a teacher myself, I know what is involved within each school and I gladly place my daughter in the care of Spotswood's staff each school day. SPOTSWOOD ELEMENTARY is a great school and I am proud to award it five stars in every category!

Spotswood Elementary School
400 Lorraine Ave, Fredericksburg, VA  22408
Last modified Spotswood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Spotswood Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top