Rocky Run Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 824 students

Student diversity

Posted Monday, October 20, 2014

I have many years of experience with schools and Rocky Run is the worst elementary school I've ever been in. The teachers are not trained to deal with the behavior issues of the student body. Most of the teachers seem to only be there to get through the day and collect their check. The lack of discipline negatively impacts the learning environment. The principal does not demand that the teachers maintain control over their students. I'm planning to remove my children from this school and home school them. I can't think of one thing I like about this school other than one previous teacher that really put her heart into teaching her students. The school needs to train their teachers to handle the children that they are working with.

Posted May 4, 2014

We moved to this area 5 month ago from being overseas at a Dodea school. Rocky Run has not only been a wonderful school to move into but a much need benefit for my youngest son. From the principal, asst principal, front office staff to each of the teachers both of my sons encounter on a daily basis are amazing. Each is very warm and caring towards the children but also very friendly to myself as a parent. They put the needs of the children first. I could not be happier with our decision to ignore so negative comments and make the choice of sending the children here.

Posted February 17, 2014

As a parent and educator, I feel I can make the informed statement that this school is staffed and led by professionals who care for children and use research-based strategies, as well as love, to nurture the academic, social, and emotional growth of students. Having taught and had my own children enrolled in various schools throughout the country, I am impressed with the school's ability to address the needs of students with specials education requirements and military families, all while embracing and celebrating diversity. Staff and administration are involved, visible, and responsive. Students are treated with respect and held to high standards. The PTO is involved, positive, and does so much to provide and positive experience for families, as well as assist financially on special projects. My own child attends Rocky Run and I would recommend this school to others moving to the area.

Posted February 5, 2014

My son is new to Rocky Run this year and has had an amazing experience. The staff has been welcoming to him as a new student and to me as a parent. I am very impressed with all that the PTO does to support the school - a lot of fun activities! The administration has been visible and has such a refreshingly positive attitude. The staff is incredibly caring and creative. What a great school!!!

Posted January 28, 2014

Rocky Run Elementary School has been an outstanding educational experience for both of my children. My oldest daughter attended there from K through 5th grade and I couldn't have been more pleased with all of her teacher's teaching abilities, school nurse, office staff, and the leadership. She also had several food allergies, as well as asthma, and they were very accommodating. The teachers are greatly concerned with the developmental well-being of all the children. My youngest daughter is currently in 4th grade and has been a student there since Kindergarten. The new leadership of Mr. Roman and Mrs. Jones is outstanding. My daughter is excelling in all aspects of her schooling. The staff is also very parent-friendly and encourages team effort for the children's education. I highly recommend this school to anybody who is moving into this area.

Posted January 6, 2014

This school is the worst that I ever encountered. The teachers used intimidation and bullying tactics towards the children. I was a prior school teacher. From the horrific experience that my child and I have encountered, I personally don't suggest anyone to enroll their love ones in this school. The Front desk employees has the worst customer service. The teachers does not have the knowledge to deal with special needs, Bi-lingual, diverse and military community. But yet, every year they want the military families to complete their subsidy forms every year to benefit themselves not the children. They also allow humiliations and corporal punishment towards the children. Tried informing management, but they tend to listen in deaf ears. Why should they, the cause of the negative actions are coming from higher up.

Posted January 4, 2014

As a former teacher and current parent/stay-at-home-mom, I was concerned about schools when moving to Fredericksburg from out-of-state. However, after having spent many hours in the school working as a parent volunteer, I can say that I am thoroughly impressed and absolutely pleased. The principal is new this year and seems to really have the best interests of the students at heart. My daughter's teacher (Kindergarten) is fabulous. My daughter is already beginning to read and write simple sentences. From a mom's point of view, I am thrilled with Rocky Run. From a teacher's point of view, I am impressed and convinced that it is an excellent school with wonderful teachers and administration, staff, and parent volunteers.

Posted June 20, 2013

After my son's first year at Rocky Run, I can say I am pretty pleased. I was nervous after reading these reviews at the beginning of the year, but so far my experience has been very positive. I LOVED my son's kindergarten teacher and para. I was also impressed with the P.E. and other teachers and staff I had contact with (I volunteered weekly so I saw more than most parents do). They all seemed very dedicated and nurturing. They could be firm when necessary to keep control of the classroom, but did it in a respectful, caring way. There are a lot of enthusiastic, involved families at RRES. The school really has a positive vibe. I didn't have much one-on-one interaction with the principal everyone complains about, but she retired last week and we'll have a new one next year anyway. My only complaint would be the apparent lack of resources for the younger gifted children. I hear it gets better in the older grades.

Posted May 10, 2012

Here it is 2012 and this school has gotten no better. The teachers and staff are rude to the children, and to the parents. At the begining they act all nice but once you have an issue the tables turn. They have no respect or care how the parents feel about what is going on with there children. Anytime you bring an issue up they hand out excuses one after another.. Schools are suppose to make you feel safe and lead by example this school does no such thing. As you can see from the reviews its getting worse. Started off ok but now has taken a turn in the wrong direction. I also gave one star because it wont let you give anything less.

Posted July 17, 2011

This school is simply awesome. The teachers all care about the kids and really respond so well to parental involvement/questions. Ms. Baker, the principal is mostly involved in the financial aspects of the school which takes up most of her time. Ms. Butler, the assistant principal is hands on with the kids and parents. She takes care of the discipline problems (very efficiently I might add) and any misc. problems parents might have. She takes a lot flack for that, but I've always found that parents who complain about their kids being disciplined rarely do it themselves and so hate it when others do it for them. The only problem I have w/ the school is that my kids are no longer allowed to go there thanks to the school board rearranging the district. Rocky Run will be missed.

Posted July 9, 2011

This school has the worst teacher turn over rate in the county. Why do you think that is? The principal is rude and insulting. My daughter got hurt at school and the staff refused to let her call home and get help. She showed up at the bus stop with ripped jeans and blood running down her leg. For all the glowing reviews, they have just been luck to not have a problem...yet! I had problem with my daughter being bullied and Ms. Baker's response was to lecture me on the phone for five minutes. I pulled my kids out of that school after having our kids there for three years. I would rather work overtime to send my kids to private school than one more day at Rocky Run. Don't take this wrong, most of the teachers do a good job, but the administration is dreadful! I gave this school one star only because it won't allow negative numbers!

Posted March 15, 2011

This is the worst school I have ever seen. The principal is rude and unprofessional. I have been requesting meetings with them to try to resolve a problem with my child that they created, and now they suspend him. This school should just be removed from existence and maybe the kids would do better in another place.

Posted August 22, 2010

This school is a terrible place to have to grow and learn. The admin is terrible and the principal is one of the worst I have ever seen. If they did away with her the school could improve leaps and bounds!! good luck RRES, your gonna need it.

Posted May 19, 2010

great teachers! that really care about the students and them learning

Posted January 14, 2010

I have had two children attend RRES. Both have been lucky enough to have the best teachers, including one teacher who just won the President's Science Award (only 80 teachers nationwide). As always, it's not always about the teachers, it's about the children - their parents etc. The school provides excellent basics. There could be more in the way of extracurricular programs - languages etc., but generally given the diverse student population, I think the school is doing very well.

Posted October 5, 2009

I have nothing but good things to say about Rocky Run Elementary School. My son who has learning disabilities received very good services from the learning support team the past two years. This year my youngest is now receiving learning support from that same team. I can't say enough about them. They go out of their way to help the children reach their best potential.

Posted September 21, 2009

We love Rocky Run! The teachers and staff are awesome! We couldn't be happier and wouldn't want our children to attend any other school in the area. We have excellent, regular contact with teachers. They go out of their way to work with the families, and keep us informed. Our children are excelling across the board!

Posted September 16, 2009

I've got kids here since 2002. RRES has some of the best of teachers anywhere and some not-so-great teachers, just like any other public school (hence my non-5-star rating). I had considered sending my children to the private school next door, partly because of the size of RRES and partly because I worried about all the negative things my overprotected kids would see and hear from other students. But at the end of the day, I believe my children are getting a better than private education, academically and socially. The teachers do not tolerate questionable behavior. They are incredible jugglers, meeting the needs of students of all ability levels. My children have a better understanding of those less fortunate. The county spends substantial amounts on its schools, providing the latest and greatest resources. The principal is a very busy woman running a large school, and I'm very happy with the results.

Posted July 12, 2009

I feel as though the school has made tremendous improvements so please keep up the good work! It is nice to see.

Posted June 30, 2009

The lack of leadership at this school is what is holding this school back from being a great school. The principal is unpersonable, and seems to care only about her ambitions, the students are not her concern. The teachers are wonderful, but are held accountable to an administration who is concerned more about appearances than actual learning. Parents are not really welcome to be involved, communicaton between school and classroom is terrible. Given the choice, I would definatley consider putting my children in a different school.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 72% in 2013.

126 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 87% in 2012.

112 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

126 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 84% in 2013.

114 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests to assess students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, writing in grades 5 and 8, and science in grades in 3, 5 and 8. The SOL tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 70% in 2013.

121 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 84% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

123 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 73% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 71% in 2013.

125 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 89% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

130 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Female students65%

Students with disabilities67%
Students without disabilities82%
Proficient in English80%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. Data is not reported when there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school.

All Students77%

Students with disabilities27%
Students without disabilities87%
Proficient in English84%

Source: Virginia Department of Education

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

• Ms. Joanne E. Baker

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

95 Reservoir Rd