Fredericksburg, VA

Posted October 20, 2014
I have many years of experience with schools and Rocky Run is the worst elementary school I've ever been in. The teachers are not trained to deal with the behavior issues of the student body. Most of the teachers seem to only be there to get through the day and collect their check. The lack of discipline negatively impacts the learning environment. The principal does not demand that the teachers maintain control over their students. I'm planning to remove my children from this school and home school them. I can't think of one thing I like about this school other than one previous teacher that really put her heart into teaching her students. The school needs to train their teachers to handle the children that they are working with.

Posted May 04, 2014
We moved to this area 5 month ago from being overseas at a Dodea school. Rocky Run has not only been a wonderful school to move into but a much need benefit for my youngest son. From the principal, asst principal, front office staff to each of the teachers both of my sons encounter on a daily basis are amazing. Each is very warm and caring towards the children but also very friendly to myself as a parent. They put the needs of the children first. I could not be happier with our decision to ignore so negative comments and make the choice of sending the children here.

Posted February 17, 2014
As a parent and educator, I feel I can make the informed statement that this school is staffed and led by professionals who care for children and use research-based strategies, as well as love, to nurture the academic, social, and emotional growth of students. Having taught and had my own children enrolled in various schools throughout the country, I am impressed with the school's ability to address the needs of students with specials education requirements and military families, all while embracing and celebrating diversity. Staff and administration are involved, visible, and responsive. Students are treated with respect and held to high standards. The PTO is involved, positive, and does so much to provide and positive experience for families, as well as assist financially on special projects. My own child attends Rocky Run and I would recommend this school to others moving to the area.

Posted February 05, 2014
My son is new to Rocky Run this year and has had an amazing experience. The staff has been welcoming to him as a new student and to me as a parent. I am very impressed with all that the PTO does to support the school - a lot of fun activities! The administration has been visible and has such a refreshingly positive attitude. The staff is incredibly caring and creative. What a great school!!!

Posted January 28, 2014
Rocky Run Elementary School has been an outstanding educational experience for both of my children. My oldest daughter attended there from K through 5th grade and I couldn't have been more pleased with all of her teacher's teaching abilities, school nurse, office staff, and the leadership. She also had several food allergies, as well as asthma, and they were very accommodating. The teachers are greatly concerned with the developmental well-being of all the children. My youngest daughter is currently in 4th grade and has been a student there since Kindergarten. The new leadership of Mr. Roman and Mrs. Jones is outstanding. My daughter is excelling in all aspects of her schooling. The staff is also very parent-friendly and encourages team effort for the children's education. I highly recommend this school to anybody who is moving into this area.

Posted January 06, 2014
This school is the worst that I ever encountered. The teachers used intimidation and bullying tactics towards the children. I was a prior school teacher. From the horrific experience that my child and I have encountered, I personally don't suggest anyone to enroll their love ones in this school. The Front desk employees has the worst customer service. The teachers does not have the knowledge to deal with special needs, Bi-lingual, diverse and military community. But yet, every year they want the military families to complete their subsidy forms every year to benefit themselves not the children. They also allow humiliations and corporal punishment towards the children. Tried informing management, but they tend to listen in deaf ears. Why should they, the cause of the negative actions are coming from higher up.

Posted January 04, 2014
As a former teacher and current parent/stay-at-home-mom, I was concerned about schools when moving to Fredericksburg from out-of-state. However, after having spent many hours in the school working as a parent volunteer, I can say that I am thoroughly impressed and absolutely pleased. The principal is new this year and seems to really have the best interests of the students at heart. My daughter's teacher (Kindergarten) is fabulous. My daughter is already beginning to read and write simple sentences. From a mom's point of view, I am thrilled with Rocky Run. From a teacher's point of view, I am impressed and convinced that it is an excellent school with wonderful teachers and administration, staff, and parent volunteers.

Rocky Run Elementary School 4

Posted June 20, 2013
After my son's first year at Rocky Run, I can say I am pretty pleased. I was nervous after reading these reviews at the beginning of the year, but so far my experience has been very positive. I LOVED my son's kindergarten teacher and para. I was also impressed with the P.E. and other teachers and staff I had contact with (I volunteered weekly so I saw more than most parents do). They all seemed very dedicated and nurturing. They could be firm when necessary to keep control of the classroom, but did it in a respectful, caring way. There are a lot of enthusiastic, involved families at RRES. The school really has a positive vibe. I didn't have much one-on-one interaction with the principal everyone complains about, but she retired last week and we'll have a new one next year anyway. My only complaint would be the apparent lack of resources for the younger gifted children. I hear it gets better in the older grades.

Posted May 10, 2012
Here it is 2012 and this school has gotten no better. The teachers and staff are rude to the children, and to the parents. At the begining they act all nice but once you have an issue the tables turn. They have no respect or care how the parents feel about what is going on with there children. Anytime you bring an issue up they hand out excuses one after another.. Schools are suppose to make you feel safe and lead by example this school does no such thing. As you can see from the reviews its getting worse. Started off ok but now has taken a turn in the wrong direction. I also gave one star because it wont let you give anything less.

Posted July 17, 2011
This school is simply awesome. The teachers all care about the kids and really respond so well to parental involvement/questions. Ms. Baker, the principal is mostly involved in the financial aspects of the school which takes up most of her time. Ms. Butler, the assistant principal is hands on with the kids and parents. She takes care of the discipline problems (very efficiently I might add) and any misc. problems parents might have. She takes a lot flack for that, but I've always found that parents who complain about their kids being disciplined rarely do it themselves and so hate it when others do it for them. The only problem I have w/ the school is that my kids are no longer allowed to go there thanks to the school board rearranging the district. Rocky Run will be missed.

Rocky Run Elementary School
95 Reservoir Rd, Fredericksburg, VA  22406
(540) 286-1956
Last modified Rocky Run Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Rocky Run Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 39 reviews. Top