Bad
Good

Hugh Mercer is an excellent elementary school led by one of the best principals in the region, Marjorie Tankersley. The student population is diverse from a socio-economic standpoint, and the staff does an excellent job in meeting that challenge. Class sizes are small compared to other regional school districts, and the teachers are engaged and do their best to go beyond teaching to the SOL tests. (The state needs to find a better way to measure progress.) We chose to pay tuition to send our children to the city schools for several years before moving into the city.

Hugh Mercer is an excellent elementary school. I went there when I was a child and I think it has gotten even better from what I have seen. My son is just wrapping up his 1st grade year. He went to Kindergarten at a private school and when we moved back into the area, we enrolled him at HMES for first grade. All I can say is WOW. He was unable to read or do much math as the private school he attended still viewed Kindergarten as a time for socialization and not academics. His teacher, along with other staff members who run programs within the school, had him caught up to grade level within 2.5 months. That says a lot. His teacher took time out of her busy schedule to work with him three mornings a week before school started. The teachers at this school are committed and want the children to succeed. My son has had an incredible year. Looking forward to see what 2nd grade brings.

Hugh Mercer is a good school. My child is in second grade, so this is our third year here. It is a big school population-wise- 900 children in three grades. think the administration does a good job of maintaining an organized learning environment. My child's first grade teacher was EXCELLENT! and her second grade teacher is awesome too. I am amazed at the material she is learning and the way they are presenting difficult concepts. Yes, there is too much testing, but I think that is just the way of the world at public schools these days. I have been VERY PLEASED with the teacher- student ratio. My daughter has 18 children in her class this year with an aide half of the day. They offer after school clubs in STEM and Chess among other things. Art teacher is creative. Music performances are always well done. PE teachers get kids excited about fitness. No school is perfect for every kid all of the time. If that is what you are trying to find...good luck. From my experience Hugh Mercer has been a positive, friendly, academic learning environment for my child. I have two more kids heading to school in the next few years and I am looking forward to sending them to HMES.

This school is great! And to clarify comments about the NR rating these are based on State Standardized testing which doesn't start until the 3rd grade and HMES is only K-2nd. The City of Fredericksburg Public Schools are only one of 39 school divisions in the state of Virginia that has all of the schools fully accredited from K-12th! See for yourself before you judge. Meet the teachers, tour the schools. Make your own decisions.

Hugh Mercer Elementary School. I loved my child's first and second grade teacher! Excellent in understanding his needs and discussing what should be done next. Great ADVOCATES for my child. Front office staff is rude and disrespectful. I have been told to take my conversation to the hallway, I am distracting. Well, who are you? Administrative staff is okay, but I don't like the disciplinarian. You can't threaten a child to be good and that's what they do with her.

If you're thinking of moving to the City of Fredericksburg, don't, unless private school is an option. This school is absolutely horrible, especially the principal Mrs. Tankersley. The school is over populated and they are just going to keep building mobile trailers instead of a new school. I've also noticed that if you have the "right" last name you will get the best teachers. No one is friendly in the main office. It almost feels it's an inconvenience to be at the school. Poor management, plain and simple!

I LOVE Hugh Mercer! My 3 children have all gone their (my youngest is still there going into first) We have had our children taught by 7 different teachers so far and they have all been FABULOUS! Our 2 older children scoured in the highest levels of the SOL''s when they got to 3rd grade, they loved their teachers, they went above and beyond to help my children whenever they needed it, I volunteered in their rooms at different points and was always happy to see the different activities they were doing, lots of hands on activities and positive reinforcement. Its a great school, my children have received a great education, learned a lot about character and being a good citizen and have had so many amazing activities and family nights. I could go on and on! please don't be swayed by other negative reviews, our children have been there over the past 6 years in total, and will be there for 2 more. Its been great and even when our middle son had some behavioral issues, I was so embarrassed and they were so kind and helpful, he pulled out of it with in 2 months because of their constant encouragement. Mrs. Tankersly the Principal is amazing, and available. Hugh Mercer is a great school!

This school is absolutely horrible. The curriculum is less than mediocre, there is no one on one or special attention to children's individual needs, nor the chance of exploring different learning styles for needs of the children. I feel that aside from a select few, the staff is incompetent to do their job as a teacher/supervisory role. My son went there from kindergarten through second and I moved specifically so that he could have a chance at a better education and my youngest who is going into kindergarten this upcoming year wouldn't have to experience this poor excuse for a teaching facility. As of a couple of months ago they had a score on this site of a 3 out of 10... now they aren't even rated. They shouldn't be allowed to teach because the children aren't even getting a quality education when they fail this epically. Very disappointed with the school overall and the efforts made by the babysitters there, they certainly aren't worthy of being called teachers.

I think this school is great. My oldest son went to the school and enjoyed every minute, he has moved on to another school. I currently have 2 children enrolled and they love their teachers. The staff is caring and positive. The classrooms are lively and encourage learning through fun activities. Great PTA events, Great field trips, Great communication. Teachers have telephones in the classroom and you can contact them anytime. They usually respond right away via phone or email. The school is clean and the playgrounds are nice. The classrooms have a couple of computers for interactive learning. The students are held to a high standard and are expected to show respect for their surroundings and their peers. I absolutely love this school, it is a pity we will be moving this summer, wish I could take this school with me. Perhaps the student/ teacher ratio is tad high, however the teachers show genuine care for the students. I never write reviews but I had to express what a wonderful experience my family has had there.

I love this school.Great teachers and staff.I wish the SOL would go away and they had more time for Art.Over all the school is excellent.

Last modified Hugh Mercer Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-2