Bad
Good

My kids are finishing their first year at Shady Grove, rising 2nd and 3d graders! We have relocated from Brazil, so adaptation was a big part of their school year! Teachers and staff were extremely helpful with their transition, and after one year, they are completely adjusted and happy! I found easy to access teachers and counselours, who, whenever I needed, tried their best to see through my concerns!

I would give more than 5 stars, Excellent school. If you are thinking about moving to the area, one thing you dont have worry about is your childs education. The teachers are great and keep you updated with a great principal as their leader. I will be moving out of the area and will miss this school a lot.

I actually miss my elementary school years a great deal; Shady Grove was probably the best elementary school experience I could have had. I remember a lot, surprisingly, but something that has always stood out in my mind is how much my teachers cared about us. Although it was a public school, I still remember having a relationship with all my teachers, and getting one on one attention a lot. Mostly, the SGES kids that I know now turned out well, and it was also academically competitive and challenging. Great school, but avoid Short Pump Middle after SGES.

I have a son with a developmental delay - requiring special assistance and the teachers, exceptional ed program and administrators have been amazing. There is an old post here from a family with a child with autism. There is now an Autism Classroom right in Shady Grove. Also - there is an older post about the concerns for class size (24-1)....Henrico County has since opened a new Elementary School nearby so that has been alleviated. Another close by Elem. School is in the works for 2014!

We transfered in when my oldest was in her last year of Elementary school and my son was a first grader. We found Shady Grove to be a top notch school. My children were quickly welcomed. The teachers are excellent and provide many enrichment opportunities. I would also like to note that I believe the school counselors are also superb. They are wonderful resources and provide valuable 'lessons' to the students in the classroom.

This school is wonderful!! We transferred here from out-of-state, and felt immediately welcomed at SGES. There is an awesome new student mentoring in which current students help new students become acclamated. Great opportunity for parental involvement, too. LA - new SGES parent

I have two children at SG. We transfered here from out of town. The community is wonderful and my husband and I believe it takes a village of high standards and discipline to raise a family. The academic standards at SG are tough, but with the US failing across the board on an international level, we welcomed the standards and the discipline. There is plenty of art, PE, music, not to mention after school playtime and after school enrichment. SG encourages various learning styles and programs like Destination Imagination are available for children who need to put addition energy into creative, imaginative thinking. The school leaves no child behind academically and the teachers are strict but loving. It is too bad all US children don't have the opportunity to live in such a great community with access to a great school.

This school is awesome! It teaches you so much. And they have the best teachers you will ever meet.

We have a daughter finishing Kindergarten at Shady Grove Elementary and we have been thoroughly impressed by the professionalism of the teaching staff and the love for learning they have provided my daughter. Thank you!

Academics is the main focus for SGES without a doubt. However, I agree with the other review that stated in their effort to keep the high academics they lose the personal touch with the kids. Teacher/Student ratio is terrible at the school, there are way too many students in the classes. My sons 2nd grade class is 24:1, that's a lot higher than any school I have reviewed in the Henrico area. I'm glad to see that they can keep the academics up with such a ratio but my son does not live in the town of 'Stepford' (from the movie). One mold does not fit every child.

Last modified Shady Grove Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.