No rating

Calvary Classical School

Private | PK-6 | 91 students

We are best known for rigorous academics & a family-oriented community.

Student diversity

Special education

The school has not provided this information yet.

Living in Hampton

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $165,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $990.

School Official Point of View

Posted August 23, 2011

CCS believes passionately in assisting, not replacing, parents in the education of their children. We offer a rigorous academic program woven together by the truths of God's Word. If a school is doing its job, children will be prepared for college and career, but this is not the focus of education. Education is for the purpose of training the mind toward a truth-based application of knowledge; training the mind towards wisdom and a life-long love of learning.

Posted June 22, 2014

As the previous review states, no school is perfect. CCS is no exception. But in evaluating anything, you pick out those things that are most important to aid others in their school choices. The homework load can be a bit overwhelming, but that is something presented clearly upon admission. The tests (i'm referring to 3rd grade) are mostly full written complete sentence answers which blows me away! They really make sure these kids KNOW the information. No short term memory work here! Teachers very accessible and willing to work with my children and myself in our difficulties. I don't know how many teachers would respond back to my 10:00 pm email at 10:05, but ours did! Sure there are some things that could improve, but are they worth worrying others about? Nope! I can take these minor incidents to the principal and handle them without hassle. My children are precious cargo and I handle their school choice with great care.

Posted December 20, 2013

Clearly these comments are all biased, There is no perfect school. I would love a real evaluation. Also looking at the dates it seems as the the reviews were prompted by school administrators. I have heard good and bad about this school from people that have come and gone, both students and teachers it is sad that these reviews are so biased. :(

Posted August 15, 2013

A positive, loving culture with high standards for academics and character. An excellent continuation of our personal parenting.

Posted August 15, 2013

Calvary is a unique school that provides students a fantastic opportunity to learn a large quantity of material in a small class setting. Teachers love teaching and students love learning - this is the environment parents crave for their children.

Posted August 15, 2013

We are an Air Force family who just left the Hampton Roads area after 3 awesome years at CCS. On the last day of school, I wept, and that is no exaggeration. This school is a family. They nurtured and loved our girls through Pre-K, Kindergarten and 1st grade and the education they received is second to none. Some of the literature in the welcome packet says, "You'll wish you could go back to school!" and that is true! The techniques and methods they use to teach all subjects are amazing. They are not teaching to a test, they are teaching the children how to learn. They learn so much and they LOVE going to school! And all of it is done with positive attitudes, loving discipline and an abundance of excellence in every area. Field trips, soccer teams, music, art, drama... all there. Individual attention and encouragement, SMALL class sizes, a secure environment. And above all, these people are committed to showing the love of Jesus to the children in their care, and teaching them how to share that love with the world around them and beyond. The tuition we paid was the best money we have EVER spent. You can't go wrong with CCS.

Posted August 15, 2013

The perfect place for our kids. You could not find a better school! We are so pleased with our home away from home.

Posted August 14, 2013

Calvary Classical School is an amazing Classical school with intelligent, nurturing and excellent teachers and staff.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 14, 2013

Calvary Classical School is a wonderful Christ- centered school that I have not only attended, but have also had the pleasure to work at. I attended Calvary from K5 until 7th grade. As a student, I always enjoyed the teachers who were eager to go the extra mile. The small class sizes were delightful environments to build relationships that I still have, as well as to receive a personal learning experience. As an employee, working at the school was both uplifting and exciting. Many special guests have come to visit the school, providing their audience with learning in a fun way. The teachers are very responsive and have Christ as their focus. The classical model which I began learning at Calvary has continually been critical to my education and spiritual growth. The Grammar stage is crucial for those who wish to continue the trivium because it teaches students how to think, not what to think. It teaches children the basics of proper speaking and writing. I would strongly recommend this school to any family looking for a Christian school with caring teachers and exciting opportunities for learning and growth.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 12, 2013

Before Calvary taking my daughter to school was a struggle. Now, she is excited, enthusiastic, and really connected with her peers. This school is our educational home! I highly recommend Calvary for any family looking for a school that brings you into the fold. We are beyond happy with the transformation that our daughter has made.

Posted August 10, 2013

I am so greatful that my kids can go to Calvary. It is a place where to can learn truth., learn how to think about truth and how to share that truth with those in their sphere of influence. I love when we can discuss some of the truths they have learned. I love to watch them grow and learn. Calvary is a blessing to my children and to our family. It is a privilege to send my children there.

Posted August 10, 2013

My wife and I could not be happier with the quality of education our children are receiving. When we were looking for a school we wanted to find a place that would provide a rigorous academic experience with a Christian perspective. We have found the teachers to be very kind while maintaining high expectations.

Posted August 8, 2013

We have had four children attend Calvary. I cannot say enough about the quality of education and the attention given to the needs of the individual child. Not all children are created equal. Even our children who have had learning difficulties have found helpful and willing teachers, staff, and administration. I truly believe Calvary will look for the best way to teach each student that comes through their doors. I'm so thankful for their willingness to work with students who struggle and their willingness to challenge students who are able to excel. Their work with student who need extra attention is expanding, and I'm grateful for the willingness to grow and adapt to the needs of these students. Their ability to work with students who are able to surpass expectations is also to be commended. I wouldn't have my children, with each of their individual needs, anywhere else.

Posted May 26, 2013

Calvary Classical was the blessing my family was searching for. Upon moving to the area, my daughter spent the rest of her 1st grade year in public school. We were not impressed with the instruction, delivery, relevance, or rigor of the work she received. Once I became employed I immediately began the search for a private school that reflected the one we have just left. Blessing upon blessings, I found Calvary! This past year my daughter has bloomed and blossomed beyond our wildest imagination. The curriculum provides the challenges that she needs and deserves. Her teacher has the kindest, warmest disposition and my daughter adores her. My youngest will enter first grade there this fall and we are enthusiastic to see how she does. The expense is not the question; what is your child worth, is.

Posted February 23, 2013

We were homeschooling using the classical method when we moved to VA and found CCS. My daughter entered the 3rd grade and our family was quickly embraced and we found a true 'family' at CCS. The transition was smooth, the academics are just right (difficult but not overwhelming) and the teachers are top-notch. The principal and teachers deal with my daughter's heart, not just her actions - and the fact that she is the first one up each day, begging to go to 4th grade shows just that. We love CCS and plan on staying there for the entirety of her grammar school career.

Posted May 3, 2010

We chose to send our child to Calvary Classical School not just because of their emphasis on Jesus in all learning and events, but because the faculty and staff love Jesus and it shows in their lives. They also show Jesus' love to my child.

Posted April 24, 2010

Calvary Classical School is a family at heart. The parents, administrators, and teachers work tirelessly to honor the Lord while educating and nurturing their students. The academics are second to none.

Posted April 20, 2010

Calvary Classical School is a wonderful school that partners with the parents to encourage the children to be thinking, respectful, and God glorifying students. Each of our children has begun CCS in Kindergarten and we couldn't be more please with the education they have received.

Posted April 17, 2010

I love how Christ is incorporated into EVERY aspect of learning at Calvary Classical School!

Posted April 16, 2010

This school has a fantastic curriculum that is both challenging and God based. My daughter has attended since K4 and it is like a family! The teachers and leadership are more than we could have ever imagined!!

Posted April 16, 2010

I am a parent with 3 children at CCS. Our oldest daughter started attending in K4 and is now in 4th grade. We are so glad to have found a school that works in concert with the parents. Our children love and respect their teachers and have developed a real love for learning. We are so thankful that the Lord brought us to CCS to help us prepare a strong foundation in the hearts and minds of our children.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Arts & music

School start time
  • 8:20 am
School end time
  • 3:10 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Lori L. Rogers
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Presbyterian Church of America
Associations
  • ACSI
Fax number
  • (757) 826-4917

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Classical (e.g., focuses on the "classics")
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

Students typically come from these schools
private