Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

George P Phenix Elementary School
Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted September 24, 2015
The guidance department goes to classes and teaches these specific traits and how it looks when you use them.

George P Phenix Elementary School 5

Posted September 24, 2015
We bike to school and the greatness starts with Miss Jennie the crossing guard. Teachers communicate well and use creative and fun ways to engage the kids. They have incredible access to technology. The school is very diverse which adds to its greatness. The administration is prompt in handling any parent concerns. York County can keep their schools!

George P Phenix Elementary School 5

Posted March 23, 2015
My daughter had previously attended TABB, a York Co. School. I can honestly say that we are much happier at Phenix! This school has the best parent/staff communication I've ever seen. They have a fantastic curriculum, the teaching staff is phenomenal, and they have an outstanding band and chorus program!

Posted November 15, 2014
I consider myself to be an involved parent that is an inquiring mind. My daughter attends and has been there for about four years from elementary to currently middle school. I've found that the staff from the principal to the teachers communicate very well and keep everyone up to speed with voicemails as well as emails. My child was an A/B Honor Roll student prior to attending and has maintained that throughout her matriculation thus far. When she's taken SOL testing, she's gotten higher scores in the average category as well as above average many times. Sometimes it does seem that the teachers give quite a bit of homework, however I would rather them do that than not to ensure that the material is being learned. The teachers seem to be enthusiastic about teaching, creative, and fair. They also have a great band program as well. The schools had a traffic problem in years past, but have resolved it this year and it flows very smoothly now. Overall I think it's a great school!

Posted April 18, 2014
my daughter is doing well, the teacher keep a line of communication open with the parents. Incidence which has occurred was resolved in a positive manner. overall the school has a great environment conducive to learning.

George P Phenix Elementary School 2

Posted May 23, 2013
I will not rate the school too poorly because the issue I am having may be an isolated case. My daughter is in the 4th grade and went from being an A-B honor roll student to being a B-C-D student and I had to get her outside tutoring, where when she was assessed showed that she was on a 3rd grade math level. Her math notebook for the year has maybe 18-20 pages of work in it and we are now at the end of May. My child has been tested more than once on exams so that the teacher could report the better grade (which she does for the entire class when 3/4 to all of the class fail an exam or quiz). I called the assistant principal to discuss and inform him of the issues and he did not say he will investigate and get back to me he just stuck up for the teacher and said that her scores show that she is on the same track as the other 4th grade teachers. My daughter's 2nd & 3rd grade teachers were excellent but I won't risk her getting another teacher like this year so I am sending her to another school for 5th grade. When at an assembly the principal says she knows that a lot of the kids failed the math SOL (2012) but not worry a lot of other schools did as well, it's time to go

George P Phenix Elementary School 3

Posted May 19, 2013
Phenix need more options for tutoring students not the same teacher who could not teach the material in the child's regular class.

Posted February 05, 2012
I am currently a student here, my 2nd year! It's an ordinary school like any other. The teachers are sometimes hard on you and I get about 4-6 hw things to do everyday but that's good because later on in life, you will be able to achieve greater things. It's an okay school. The environment is really nice. Automatic toilets, automatic sinks, all apple technology..ipods, ipads...this school is really up-to-date unlike some schools here in Hampton. All the teachers I've had were not mean at all..unless, you try to get on their nerves. Some teachers are really creative and fun! I had a teacher last year who would create raps and we would sing and memorize them for quizzes/tests/etc. The students here are also no better than other schools. There has been a few fights, usually in the upper grades. Overall, I'd say it is a nice school to send your child to. If your child doesn't like the school, he/she probably has issues with the teacher.

Posted October 21, 2011
My son is now in the third grade, and so far Phenix has been a great school. I'm not going to rate the school off of the traffic problem(which is really bad). Phenix is now our 3rd school here in hampton. For some reason we were zoned for Tyler (passing 2 other schools), and rezoned to Burbank. Phenix push the kids to do their best, and provide help whn needed. The others seemed to have their hands tied up with behaviors &SOL testing. My son now have all A's & B's, and does not mind getting up extra early for school. The staff seem real helpful, and he has a great teacher who keeps me informed. I cant say the same for Burbank, but Tyler also had great teachers/staff.

Posted October 21, 2011
The staff is great the problem is how many students are in the school! It just keeps growing and growing and they aren't getting anyone to help the teachers out. 1st and 2nd grade have classes of 26 students with no assistants. Last year these grades had 125 students between 6 teachers, now they have 150+! Someone needs to get on the ball for this! Hampton says "Every child, every day, whatever it takes!" Well whatever it takes is to get these classrooms down to a reasonable size. In most states it's illegal to have classes this big! I know many parents are not happy and the teachers feel bad that they can't do everything they want with these kids because they have so many of them. The district needs to step it up and help these classes so that our children can succeed. My child's teacher is great but she is only human and can only do so much!

George P Phenix Elementary School
1061 Big Bethel Rd, Hampton, VA  23666
Last modified George P Phenix Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.