Hampton, VA
Students enrolled: 1,208

Posted November 09, 2014
My kids love this school!! We have 3 children there this year and before Andrews they were in our lady of mount caramel catholic school, The school is not has bad as people say it is.

Posted October 23, 2014
Great school, my pre-k is at Andrews this year and he loves it!! We also had 2 other children at armstrong elementary and we withdrew them and put them at Andrews!!! My kids love Andrews !!! Great staff and the school is so nice;)

Hunter B. Andrews 4

Posted October 08, 2014
My daughter is in kindergarten and at the start of the year it was a VERY rough go. The teacher was inattentive to my daughter. My daughter was learning NOTHING, but coming home looking like she rolled in her food tray, ripping her clothes apart and writing all over herself. I scheduled a meeting with the principal and he was VERY receptive to my daughters needs and my wants. Since going into her new classroom my daughter is learning at an amazing rate and coming home clean. Its not a bad school overall, they just need to get rid of the bad teachers. Even if the first teacher isn't bad with all the kids, she was with at least one and you just dont become a teacher and treat children better or worse than the others. Thank you to the GREAT teachers who put our children first no matter what!

Posted August 13, 2014
After 1 year, I really wish we could change schools. The children are wild, but my real problem is with the faculty. It is run more like a prison than a school. I go up for lunch and volunteer often and personally witness the adults yelling and screaming at the children for what I deemed as minor things (forgetting to take a milk carton to the trash at lunch, talking) and this was the FIRST day off school. Trying to get into the school is crazy. Ms. Williams and her assistant both have attitude problems and make it difficult to go to lunch or take an item to the class. They also have times when no parents are allowed in the school such as during testing, but never send anything home to let you know. I showed up with lunch for my children and was turned around, and they wouldn't even let my kids get the lunch I had prepared for them. There are also numerous fights and rampant bullying. Nothing is done about it. Teachers also get into fights with parents and students! We are selling our house and moving so we can get our children in a better school. Do not send your children here if you have a choice. Looks pretty from the outside, but it is complete chaos inside!

Posted July 22, 2014
This school is horrible. The teachers have no control over any of the students. There are daily fights between the students and the teachers and school leadership don't do anything about it. Our daughter was physically attacked by a boy in her class and the teacher told her to suck it up. When we spoke to the principal about it, he assured something would be done, and nothing was. There was even a fist fight between a third grade teacher and one of the parents. The school is out of control. Our daughter will be attending a new school this upcoming year.

Posted June 02, 2014
andrews is the worst school i've attended out of the many schools i've attended in my whole life. their security does nothing, all they do is sit on their bum all day. it amy look nice but it is disgusting once you go inside the pods. they don't clean the bathrooms right either. if you have any kids who have minor problems, DO NOT SEND THEM HERE... the child(ren) will be made fun of every day and nobody will do anything about it. i am happy to say that i am happly promoted from 8th grade. now i goo to hampton high another bad school, BUT I CONSIDER IT HOME COMPARED TO ANDREWS!!!

Posted March 24, 2014
this school is terrible! my kids have been going to this school for two years and were not treated well at all by kids and staff take very little action to protect my kids at this school I would not recommend this school to any one

Hunter B. Andrews 4

Posted March 10, 2014
This is my son's first year at Andrews (kindergarten). We were pleasantly surprised - amazed actually. The school is huge and very intimidating but all the kids I see navigate the maze with confidence. They halls are loud and bustling - there are 1200 kids- but not out of control. Every teacher/parent/staff member seems to help control any out of line kid. I have also volunteered/attended many events at the school. I am constantly amazed at how committed each and every staff member is to keeping the school running. My son loves his class and all the extra resource classes they have each week. I worked with the guidance department, they were helpful. When my son started having some classroom issues, his teacher and I discussed options and came up with a plan to manage them. This is our third school in the area, first public one. At each school there is always some student that caused more trouble, or a teacher that has a wilder class, or some parent that has made me cringe. There are simply more people at this school thus more opportunity for issues. I do wish they had more playground time.

Posted March 08, 2014
My God Son has attended this school for 3 years now. He is currently in the 2nd grade and we have been nothing but satisfied with his experiences at Andrews. This school year the school is under a new principal who is very welcoming and determined to put the students education first. The Previous principal was good as well, but the school seems to be going in a new direction with a more active PTSA group..they have hosted events for the Middle School students and worked with the Family Engagement Specialist to host Family Learning Nights. If we as parents want to see change we must become a part of the solution and continue supporting our children and their educators. I love this school and hope we continue to see growth and change!

Posted December 19, 2013
I subbed one day at this school and will not be back! The middle school students are housed in what is called pods. These pods have their lockers, bathrooms, and several classrooms in an area smaller than my house! The students are rude and disrespectful. When I asked the students to stand for the pledge of allegiance, many chose not too. When I asked another teacher about this, I was told that they aren't "forced" to. That lack of respect is dishonorable to all the military that have served! Security runs rampant around that school trying to contain bad behavior. If the teachers, staff, and administration do not get a handle on the behavior of these students, I don't see any kind of future for them! If you have a choice as to sending your child to an elementary/middle school in Hampton, choose another one. Andrews is not it!

Hunter B. Andrews
3120 Victoria Boulevard, Hampton, VA  23661
Last modified Hunter B. Andrews is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hunter B. Andrews Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top