Hampton, VA
Students enrolled: 1,208

Posted August 25, 2015
We LOVE this school. Although the school hasn't scored perfect 10's across the board, I am one parent who is very satisfied with Andrews. We relocated to VA from NY, where my 4th grade son was working with the 'Common Core' Methods of learning. He was miserable. Cried everyday, didn't want to go to school, begged to be home schooled.. after relocating, I feel as if my son found himself again. He has made friends and is participating far more than he has in past years. Andrews is a newer school, built just a handful of years ago, so I feel it only fair for the community to not only understand that, but give the school a fighting chance to grow. The teachers and committee are astounding and being that it is a Title 1 school, there is a lot that Andrews have to offer. I wish that the Art and Music program were a bit more involved. My son never brought home a single art project or piece of work the entire year. Other than that I do see that the school making a positive impact on our students. I am happy with everything Andrews stands for and I wish them the best in their future successes.

Posted August 03, 2015
Taught there a few years The reviews over 2 stars is more than likely administration. It's a dangerous school; safety of your child 180 days a school year is not guaranteed. Academics are horrible, specifically grades 6-8. The goal for grades 6-8, no fights or security called into a class. Disruptive students are 99% returned to the class. I rate this school as one of the poorest in an already horrible school district. Remember, I was inside and my review is direct observation. F

Hunter B. Andrews 2

Posted July 31, 2015
The School is terrible. I went to pick up my daughter for an appointment and they could not locate her. It took them 25 minutes to find her. I had to reschedule the appointment. No one even seemed to care.

Hunter B. Andrews
Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 27, 2015
Hi my name is Jennifer Sexton my daughters Name is Caitlyn biles she went Hunter. B . Andrews for 5th grade She said she had loved her Teacher Ms. Oelrich , she said that Ms. Olrich help her with all the Things she did not know and did Not understand . Ms. Orlrich was a wonderful role model to Caitlyn . Caitlyn had lots of fun times and Always got good grades. Ms. Oelrich Had always gave Caitlyn opportunities To bring up here grades and made sure Caitlyn was doing good in school . I thing that Ms. Oelrich was the best Ever teacher to Caitlyn . Caitlyn would Always come home telling me what She had learned, and always said she was going to look for the next day . Caitlyn and me think that Ms. Orlrich Should get teachers Award for being a Great role model, an excellent teacher, Caring for the children's education , Wonderful performance for teaching , And happy to be an educator For Young minds, of the wonderful kids as teached over a year of success Thank you sincerely, Jennifer sexton

Posted November 09, 2014
My kids love this school!! We have 3 children there this year and before Andrews they were in our lady of mount caramel catholic school, The school is not has bad as people say it is.

Posted October 23, 2014
Great school, my pre-k is at Andrews this year and he loves it!! We also had 2 other children at armstrong elementary and we withdrew them and put them at Andrews!!! My kids love Andrews !!! Great staff and the school is so nice;)

Hunter B. Andrews 4

Posted October 08, 2014
My daughter is in kindergarten and at the start of the year it was a VERY rough go. The teacher was inattentive to my daughter. My daughter was learning NOTHING, but coming home looking like she rolled in her food tray, ripping her clothes apart and writing all over herself. I scheduled a meeting with the principal and he was VERY receptive to my daughters needs and my wants. Since going into her new classroom my daughter is learning at an amazing rate and coming home clean. Its not a bad school overall, they just need to get rid of the bad teachers. Even if the first teacher isn't bad with all the kids, she was with at least one and you just dont become a teacher and treat children better or worse than the others. Thank you to the GREAT teachers who put our children first no matter what!

Posted August 13, 2014
After 1 year, I really wish we could change schools. The children are wild, but my real problem is with the faculty. It is run more like a prison than a school. I go up for lunch and volunteer often and personally witness the adults yelling and screaming at the children for what I deemed as minor things (forgetting to take a milk carton to the trash at lunch, talking) and this was the FIRST day off school. Trying to get into the school is crazy. Ms. Williams and her assistant both have attitude problems and make it difficult to go to lunch or take an item to the class. They also have times when no parents are allowed in the school such as during testing, but never send anything home to let you know. I showed up with lunch for my children and was turned around, and they wouldn't even let my kids get the lunch I had prepared for them. There are also numerous fights and rampant bullying. Nothing is done about it. Teachers also get into fights with parents and students! We are selling our house and moving so we can get our children in a better school. Do not send your children here if you have a choice. Looks pretty from the outside, but it is complete chaos inside!

Posted July 22, 2014
This school is horrible. The teachers have no control over any of the students. There are daily fights between the students and the teachers and school leadership don't do anything about it. Our daughter was physically attacked by a boy in her class and the teacher told her to suck it up. When we spoke to the principal about it, he assured something would be done, and nothing was. There was even a fist fight between a third grade teacher and one of the parents. The school is out of control. Our daughter will be attending a new school this upcoming year.

Posted June 02, 2014
andrews is the worst school i've attended out of the many schools i've attended in my whole life. their security does nothing, all they do is sit on their bum all day. it amy look nice but it is disgusting once you go inside the pods. they don't clean the bathrooms right either. if you have any kids who have minor problems, DO NOT SEND THEM HERE... the child(ren) will be made fun of every day and nobody will do anything about it. i am happy to say that i am happly promoted from 8th grade. now i goo to hampton high another bad school, BUT I CONSIDER IT HOME COMPARED TO ANDREWS!!!

Hunter B. Andrews
3120 Victoria Boulevard, Hampton, VA  23661
Last modified Hunter B. Andrews is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hunter B. Andrews Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top