Hampton, VA
Students enrolled: 1,716
After care: No

Posted August 17, 2014
I am glad my son has graduated and he is out of that place!!! Very little communication on when school pictures are being taken. With all the things that go on during senior year I was making several to two two staff member in charge of the senior class for information and they NEVER called me back! Numerous other times overt the years as well. I had to go up to that school on a number of occasions hunting down teachers for information. The Dean of Boys and Girls seem like they get paid by the amount of students they drag in their office. The dean of girls assumed on 2 occasions that my son was doing something that he actually wasn't. I had to go and ask more questions and come to find our she overreacted. I cannot stand that school!!!!!!

Bethel High School 4

Posted August 07, 2014
My son is a rising junior and the school has definitely approved since he was a freshman. He has had great teachers both years! Mr. Saunders is a great principal and care very much about the students. As in all high schools there are problems if kids but glad on the improvement the administration has taken.

Posted April 17, 2014
My son is a freshman at Bethel. He has come home and told me about several fights in the school. This is typical of high school, but the teachers tend to not get involved. Of course, I'm not sure I blame them. The worst part about the school is the lack of communication from the teachers; not all teacher, but the majority that my son has this year. Several of his teacher lag behind putting grades into the system so that we can monitor his success. Buy the time grades are entered, it's too late to do anything about it. The office staff is not very friendly either. The JROTC instructor (one of them) is also a coach. He has the student repeat after him in ebonics. I have taught my children the correct way to speak since they began talking. I have a problem with this. This is a low class school.

Bethel High School 4

Posted February 15, 2013
I am a parent of two Bethel HS alumni and currently a Sophomore. Fortunately, my children were all Talented and Gifted so regardless of the overcrowding and few "bad apples" they excelled. For the most part, Bethel guidance counselors are horrible and should be replaced. I could sit around pointing out the negatives but I don't believe in making excuses because you can control your academic destiny. My two kids graduated with top honors w/ over $100K in Presidential Scholarships...and none were for sports! My other kid is doing quite awesome. Don't judge BHS by the negative reviews. Like most schools in the country, budget constraints are a problem. Bethel HS, in comparison with Kecoughtan, Phoebus, and Hampton which are all HS within the Hampton City School District don't reflect much variation in academic achievements, sports, teacher to student ratio, etc. Hampton School District is rich in cultural diversity opposed to Yorktown and other outlying school districts which reflect predominantly a white student body. The sadness is that most urban students don't realize the "social conditioning" of being taught to think "white is superior and minorities are inferior."

Posted May 01, 2011
what do i have to say about Bethel high school it is Terrible!!. Im a junior at Bethel and wasn't always at bethel my freshman year i was at Grafton high school in York county and that school was great. Bethel is nothing but Drama and fights we even had a School Shooting threat at the beginning of this year. The students are so ignorant and the Guidance you never get anything done with them.When i was at Grafton i made As and Bs and since i switch to bethel im starting to get Fs thats never happen to me before. Im tired of Bethel and i feel a Shame im graduating from this school im just happy im going to Kecoughtan high next year ive had it with bethel its nothing but Ghetto overcrowded the building is old and out dated and the some of the teachers cant teach. so for people moving to this side of hampton PUT YOUR KIDS IN PRIVATE SCHOOL its not worth your time being at bethel.

Bethel High School 2

Posted January 14, 2011
school is hit or miss with staff, facilities, and student behavior. Central administration of system is internally a joke. The need to get staff and community on same page is crucial. school administration can be hamstringed at times by central administration. student behavior is an issue. Teachers need to feel supported. Surveys given are lied on to be honest. The extremes are what people notice. the average kids are the ones hurt the most is most schools like this. There must be a honest consensus on BEHAVIOR in school are the school will deteriorate.

Bethel High School 5

Posted February 25, 2010

Bethel High School 0

Posted May 17, 2008
The guidance counselor's are pathetic. They have no clue as to what is going on and never return phone calls.

Bethel High School 3

Posted May 09, 2008
I attend Bethel, and the school gets an 'average' in my opinion. The halls are overcrowded, there is a slight roach problem, and the school focuses to much on sports, but overall, its an alright school.

Posted January 07, 2008
I actually graduated from this school many years ago and have had now three of my children attend i am very disappointed in the this school it is very dirty and unkept it is overcrowded and in need of serious renovation.Teachers donot seem to want any parental involvement.Guidance has no idea what is going on half the time and are very disorganized.And if you ask a question you are directed to every dept beside what you need.As a alumni of this school i know this could be much better and is unfortunate that it has declined so much over the years.

Bethel High School
1067 Big Bethel Rd, Hampton, VA  23666
Last modified Bethel High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Bethel High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top