Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)

Develops honesty: Neutral

Posted September 09, 2015
Its too early in the school year to have an opinion on this subject yet but so far so good

Captain John Smith Elementary School 5

Posted September 09, 2015
My Grandson just started Kindergarten a couple of days ago. The principal has made it her mission to get to know all of the kids, she is very approachable as well as his teacher. I know we are only a couple of days into the school year but we have made several trips there and have had any questions or concerns answered. Pleasantly surprised so far!

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted July 05, 2015
In my opinion, the communication between staff and parents are not the best..my child wasn't fdoing the best academically and I had no warning whatsoever!!

Captain John Smith Elementary School 3

Posted July 02, 2015
In the past 5 years my child has attended this school, i have seen improvement in the staff.

Captain John Smith Elementary School 4

Posted September 04, 2013
My daughter has just started pre k. So far I love the school and her teacher. My daughter seems very excited and really enjoys going there. I hope it continues as I am new to having a child in school I am a very nervous mom. Mrs. Doherty seems very sweet and my child loves her!

Captain John Smith Elementary School 2

Posted November 16, 2010
We moved here over the summer. My daughter should have not passed last year with the grades she brought home. I told the school upon enrollment she didn't know her basic math. They put her in the 5th grade anyways. 41/2 later ohhhh you were right now lets put her in the 4th grade. Ok that's a shock to a new kid in school anyways .Ok so did that. Now still bringing home bad grade. So i showed up at the school unexpected one day walk into her classroom and the kids are drawing and coloring and doing what ever they wanted. Now i know when she comes home and has 4 hours of homework its because they aren't teaching her anything at school. What do you do? Nothing because the school doesn't listen to a single parent.

Captain John Smith Elementary School 3

Posted August 16, 2010
Smith is a mixed bag. The principal is great, the cafeteria staff are awful, and the teachers are a gamble - some terrific, others just terrible. Always listen to your child - there was an instance where my child's physical safety was in question (teacher witheld water after recess on a hot day because other children were disruptive) and there has been bullying at the school. The are some great teachers though, and generally the staff is caring with a few shining stars that make the school tolerable. My best advice is to stay on top of them and make yourself known so they pay better attention to your child, and if you have the bad luck to get a vindictive teacher that takes things out on your child don't be afraid to go to the school board with your problem(s) if you don't get results at the school.

Captain John Smith Elementary School 1

Posted August 10, 2010
I jumped the on the band wagon too quick and was excited about my daughter attending the school. I am so disappointed in her teacher. No creativity...

Posted January 07, 2009
This is the worst school in the Hampton School system. My child is only in the second grade and only been there for a couple of days and the school seem so ghetto. The teachers is not concern about the kids learning. As well as the office staff is very unprofessional and uncooperative. I wish there was another school in my kids zone they can attend.

Captain John Smith Elementary School 4

Posted December 20, 2008
I think the teachers here are the best. Ms. I. Williams, Ms. Reese and Ms. Henry have helped my child excel.

379 Woodland Rd, Hampton, VA  23669
Last modified Captain John Smith Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Captain John Smith Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top