Bad
Good

Francis W. Jones Magnet Middle School 4

Posted June 28, 2014
I've been in Jones for 2 years now. It has a great education and has exceptional expectations for the students. However, the science department is very poor they just dont know how to teach. I loved my algerbra teacher, he helped turn my C- into A+ year round! The elective teachers are okay and the coaches seem like they could care less. I highly enjoyed language arts and history here. There are hardly any fights and is safer than most of the other middle schools as far as I'm concerned. I would reccomend that you bring a lunch than buy it here, if the foods not undercooked then its then it burnt or tastes fake :(. There are several options.for clubs including that they take NJHS here seriously. Overall I have enjoyed my experience here and I am excited to finish the 8th grade here! (Do not take art here though favoritism is often expressed to those more experienced ;)

Posted December 12, 2013
Fun my teachers are fun and help me with my work. I really like going to school here

Posted October 18, 2013
This school is great because as a parent I feel like I am welcome to be part of my child's education unlike some of the other schools

Posted September 26, 2013
My school is very on top of there game. I love the personal emails from the teachers letting the parents, me, know whats going on w/my son and homework expectations

Posted September 26, 2013
I am giving a poor rating...the administration does not know how to handle a child with disabilities. They frequently stated that my child was doing things to get attention and that he should be able to do things just like everyone else. Every child is different and you cannot expect them to all act alike. When requesting things be put in my child's 504 plan I was frequently told that they could not do what I was asking. Some of the teachers would not follow the 504 plan. There was one excellent teacher that made my child want to learn, Ms. Eileen Hedberg. I pulled him from the school and am so glad that I made the decision to pull him out. He is now in a school that is much more accommodating to his needs and more willing to work with myself and my child then Jones was.

Posted September 26, 2013
Very dissatisified with the lack of willingness to work with children with disabilities and their families. There was no room for compromise. The was especially the case when it came to the administration. They seem to feel that at this school every child should act and do just like all of the others. No one child is alike. They did not want to make the accommodiations to my child's 504 that I was requesting even with the backing of a physician. There were teachers that were not following his 504 and when one teacher in particular was called out on it she made excuses as to why it was not followed. I am a very involved parent and will fight for my child rights to education. There was an exception at the school, one teacher understood, that was Eileen Hedburg. She was an exceptional teacher and took the extra time to help my child to make sure that everything was understood and wanted him to have a positive school experience. I am so glad that I decided to pull him out of the school and place him elsewhere.

Posted August 08, 2013
I was a student at Jones for the last 3 years and my experience couldn't have been any better. It's definitely the best middle school in Hampton. There are always a few kids that aren't very nice (Bullies) but that comes with any middle school. I'm glad I didn't go to Syms because most of the kids there are obnoxious.

Francis W. Jones Magnet Middle School 3

Posted December 06, 2012
I gave a lot of thought as to what middle school I wanted my rising six grader to attend. He really wanted the curriculum at a different school but I was warned about discipline issues there. When he got into Jones I was happy. He really likes his teachers but he has had issues with other students being mean and such. The administration has taken care of the situations as warranted.

Posted November 30, 2012
My daughter Is having trouble in classes and with other children being mean and all the Principal could say was it was her fault.

Posted May 24, 2012
This has been a great school for my son and he has had some wonderful teachers. The band program is excellent, the music teacher is a very dedicated and puts a lot of time into teaching and motivating the students. He also had a wonderfully dedicated math teacher who email me regularly, letting me know what they were working on.

Francis W. Jones Magnet Middle School
1819 Nickerson Blvd, Hampton, VA  23663
Last modified Francis W. Jones Magnet Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.