K-12|Private

Bad
Good

I attended EMS during the school year of 2014-2015 for seventh grade. Upon my visit of the school before my year of attendance I was given false information about the student expectations. The teachers were absolutely certain that there were no cliques, gossip, ect. Not only were false rumors spread about me on my visit but I got dirty looks from the students.

This school takes every opportunity to educate, integrate and embrace its student population. Kids are learning how to contribute to society and how to treat others. Five stars !

Develops character: Strongly agree

EMS only tolerates honesty, integrity and fairness. My three sons are growing up to be amazing human beings thanks to the added value of this school. Teachers and staff really care about students and want to contribute to the student's story ... and they let the students participate in their stories too. This school represents the highest level of learning how to be a contributor to society for the rest of your life. Investing in this level of education is the best decision you will ever make.

EMS couples faith and academics in a rigorous environment. Faculty are caring people who see students as individuals with potential to make unique contributions to our world.

My two non-Mennonite children received an excellent education at this school. Fabulous teachers. Wonderful extracurricular program. Involved, caring parents who look out for each other's children. I read a posting from a student on cliques, and my daughter did have trouble with that particular aspect of attending EMHS. Part of it derives from the smallness of the school -- it's a blessing in terms of teacher attention, but a drawback if a student cannot find a group of friends with whom he or she is compatible. I recommend the school nevertheless.

the faculty and administration at EMHS are judgmental, and ignore problems within the student body instead of trying to fix them. Although the administration maintains that there are no cliques there, cliques are many and tightly formed. unless you have a close friend attending, do not expect to be included in any out of class activities.

This is a wonderful place for your child to learn and experience new opportunities in an academically rigourous and culturally stimulating environment. In addition, the music, art and sports programs are top notch and the diverse student body truly supports one another no matter what class, race, or religious background a student may have. How refreshing to find a private school that doesn't BOAST or put on airs of superiority -instead it puts academics first. This school is the Shenandoah Valley's best-kept secret for high quality, intellectually challenging and thoughtful education!

I have had 4 children at Eastern Mennonite School and have loved both the strong academics and the nurturing atmosphere. My two in college have both had professors ask them where they went to high school because of the strength of their writing. I'm very grateful that my children have been able to go to a school that prepared them extremely well for college but without the status-conscious, materialistic culture of a lot of college prep schools. I love that the school is Christian but at the same time very open and embracing of people with other religious convictions.

Both of my kids attended EMHS and received a high quality education within a caring community that nurtures faith in Christ. The friends they made at EMHS will be life long friends, just as the friends I made at EMHS many years ago are my life long friends.

Our three children are receiving excellent, well-rounded educations here, both in elementary and middle school grades. The school's emphasis on compassion, making good decisions, peace-building and world vision makes it a wonderful training ground for future leaders of our world. We couldn't be happier with anything about the program --- it's money well spent as a sound investment for our children now and in the future.

Last modified Eastern Mennonite School is a Private school that serves grades K-12