Harrisonburg, VA
After care: No

Posted February 16, 2015
EMS couples faith and academics in a rigorous environment. Faculty are caring people who see students as individuals with potential to make unique contributions to our world.

Posted April 21, 2011
My two non-Mennonite children received an excellent education at this school. Fabulous teachers. Wonderful extracurricular program. Involved, caring parents who look out for each other's children. I read a posting from a student on cliques, and my daughter did have trouble with that particular aspect of attending EMHS. Part of it derives from the smallness of the school -- it's a blessing in terms of teacher attention, but a drawback if a student cannot find a group of friends with whom he or she is compatible. I recommend the school nevertheless.

Eastern Mennonite School 1

Posted June 18, 2009
the faculty and administration at EMHS are judgmental, and ignore problems within the student body instead of trying to fix them. Although the administration maintains that there are no cliques there, cliques are many and tightly formed. unless you have a close friend attending, do not expect to be included in any out of class activities.

Posted November 21, 2008
This is a wonderful place for your child to learn and experience new opportunities in an academically rigourous and culturally stimulating environment. In addition, the music, art and sports programs are top notch and the diverse student body truly supports one another no matter what class, race, or religious background a student may have. How refreshing to find a private school that doesn't BOAST or put on airs of superiority -instead it puts academics first. This school is the Shenandoah Valley's best-kept secret for high quality, intellectually challenging and thoughtful education!

Posted October 28, 2008
I have had 4 children at Eastern Mennonite School and have loved both the strong academics and the nurturing atmosphere. My two in college have both had professors ask them where they went to high school because of the strength of their writing. I'm very grateful that my children have been able to go to a school that prepared them extremely well for college but without the status-conscious, materialistic culture of a lot of college prep schools. I love that the school is Christian but at the same time very open and embracing of people with other religious convictions.

Posted October 13, 2008
Both of my kids attended EMHS and received a high quality education within a caring community that nurtures faith in Christ. The friends they made at EMHS will be life long friends, just as the friends I made at EMHS many years ago are my life long friends.

Posted October 09, 2008
Our three children are receiving excellent, well-rounded educations here, both in elementary and middle school grades. The school's emphasis on compassion, making good decisions, peace-building and world vision makes it a wonderful training ground for future leaders of our world. We couldn't be happier with anything about the program --- it's money well spent as a sound investment for our children now and in the future.

Posted March 28, 2008
My daughter absolutely loves this school. The friendships she has made has been unmatched by her previous public school years of attendance. Teachers genuinely care about her academic success as well as positive emotional and character building through the tender adolescent development years. Kudos to all the Eastern Mennonite School Faculty & Staff!

Posted June 03, 2006
I love this school! I just finished 7th grade and it was awesome. My class is so cool and even though this a religiously based school, my class is very diverse in religon. The math department is very good.

Posted October 26, 2004
Neighbor groups at EMHS are the best. We have them every Thursday after first period instead of chapel. There are about 12 kids in your grade and the grade next to yours and a teacher in each of the neighbor groups. Neighbor groups create a time for you to get to know the others in your group. It is a time for you to have fun, play games, eat snacks, and to share prayer request.

Eastern Mennonite School
801 Parkwood Drive, Harrisonburg, VA  22802
Last modified Eastern Mennonite School is a Private school that serves grades K-12
Eastern Mennonite School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top