No rating

Collegiate School

Private | K-12 | 1595 students

Living in Henrico

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $214,200. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $900.

Posted May 1, 2014

Collegiate School was ranked the 17th best school in the country. My children are in 4th and 6th grade and it is an amazing school. I am amazed at what they have learned compared to where I was at their age in public school. Many of the families are very wealthy, but mainly good people.

Posted November 2, 2013

Currently going through the process of selecting a private school for my daughter. I was not impressed with the administration during the enrollment process and the lack of diversity in the students and staff is very shocking. In addition, if I wanted 23 kids in my daughters class with a part-time assistant, why would I pay private school tutu in when I can get that at public school. When asked how they give all the kids the individual attention that I will be paying for, the schools response was "we try as best we can". That is simply not good enough for me, so we will be looking at St. Catherines. Classes are capped at 16 in k and only 4 sections, not 7 + they have a full time assistant in every kindergarten classroom.

Posted March 17, 2013

My daughter has attended since K she is an up coming 5th grader,my wife is Very involved at school ,we looked at St Cat and Steward..after 5 years we have no doubt we made the right choice for OUR daughter ..Collegiate is first class all the way..I am impressed with the kids I meet and observe. And grads I have known thru the years...I am equally impressed with the involvement of the parents, I have made friends with many and there are some truly nice people there...We feel our daughter along with 'our guidance'will be well prepared for life...Proud parent..

Posted January 22, 2012

Collegiate is one of the better private schools that I have seen in Richmond and the Tri-Cities. I have known many students that went to this school from K-12 grades. All of the students that currently or formerly attended Collegiate School have been able to make it into the eight private institutions of higher learning (The Ivy League) with the strict education that is taught to the students, and with the guidance of helping them to understand for themselves what school and future major would work for them. I knew of a student who had a particular high school English teacher, M Norman-Risch, (may not still be there) and she said she would challenge the students with work to make them excel, as well as to make them work harder so that they would ask questions wanting to dig deeper to learn more so that they would challenge their brains to it's fullest potential. The athletics are well rounded in all aspects with basketball, baseball, football, lacrosse, wrestling. I believe, even crew. As far as cliques go, you see that in private schools as well as public ones. I attended both private and public educational schools. Collegiate School is a very good private school to attend.

Posted July 1, 2011

I attended this school in the 80s and I do not know if things have changed since then, but at the time it was very cliquish and quite a few students were spoiled brats. If you did not have the right "pedigree", (upper class family, conformist, West End resident), you were shunned, if not overtly put down, by the students. The faculty was great, but some teachers got away with more than others. It does provide a great education, but some of the students were beyond spoiled.

Posted February 7, 2011

Our experience with Collegiate School is outstanding. Teachers are so caring, facilities are great. Students and parents are informed about every thing.

Posted November 12, 2009

The only thing I would add to this school is teachers who have more practice at teaching

Posted October 6, 2009

Since we have been at Collegate, there is almost nothing negative I could say about it- The facilities are great, the academics are out of this world, but the people are really what make the difference. The teachers are just outstanding, and really care about the students. It really feels like a team effort, and so far, my first grader couldn't be happier, more well adjusted, or more engaged. It really is beyond anything we could have hoped for.

Posted May 2, 2009

Collegiate Middle School was a great school for my daughter. There is a significant emphasis on teaching students to be kind and civil to all classmates. That was one of the most impressive things I can say about the school as a minority parent. Ugliness to other students is not tolerated. The school is also fairly good at tracking. However, if you are coming from a public school, watch this. There is kind of an assumption that if your child is Honors at a public school, they won't be Honors at Collegiate. My daughter had to prove herself . Her teacher was surprised that she 'wasn't breaking a sweat' in her original class placement. In any event, my daughter successfully went on to a public I.B. program in high school and has been very successful ever since.

Posted February 18, 2006

Our Daughter has attended grades 6 and 7 at Collegiate. She has had a wonderful experience both academically and socially. We think the world of the school. It is absolutely a world class school academically and provides great extracurricular activities as well. Our daughter is very bright and was quite introverted when she started. She has really come out of her shell. The teachers and administration do a great job of making new students feel welcome and fit in. The school does have its share of cliques but they seem to be able to keep things under control.Character and respect are high priorities and I have never met so many polite children as I have on that campus. They set the bar very high in every way and exceed everyones expectations.

Posted February 19, 2005

My daughter is a student at Collegiate and I am very pleased with the educational program. Collegiate is a wonderful school! The academic program is outstanding, as are the teachers. We are blessed to be part of Collegiate.

Posted November 22, 2004

It is a fantastic school.
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 1, 2003

Collegiate is regarded as the top co-educational private school in the Richmond area. The Collegiate School lives up to this reputation. As a college preparatory school, Collegiate prepares students academically to attend the top universities in the country while developing students social and athletic abilities. Students at Collegiate are generally well-rounded and bright. Collegiate prepared me to attend one of the top 10 liberal arts colleges and one of the top 20 law schools.
—Submitted by a former student

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • NAIS

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

103 North Mooreland Road