Herndon, VA

Posted August 22, 2015
This is my son third year at St. Joseph School. His teachers have made a significant impact on our son. We are so pleased to see our Catholic faith demonstrated daily by the faculty and staff. In addition, his reading, science, and math skills are extremely improved. We find him accelerating the important math and science skills. We heard all good things about the STEM program and can't wait for him to join. We feel fortunate and are sure we made the right decision to send our son to St. Joseph School. This is a great school and we would recommend it to anyone considering a quality education for their children.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted August 22, 2015
This school definitely develops compassion, caring and empathy in its students. The teachers and staff are very friendly and caring. They pay very close attention to their students and encourage them to do their very best. Our son loves his teachers and friends and can't wait to begin another school year at St. Joseph School.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted May 28, 2015
This is my son second year at St. Joseph School. He loves his friends and teachers. My son has growth greatly in both Christianly and Academically. He started with no reading skills and was able to read chapter books when he finished Kindergarten. I have volunteered on several occasions and the students are very well behave and respectful. I talked to many parents and none of them have heard or seen bully at this school. The principal, teachers, and staff are very experience, educated, and professional, and most importantly, they care for our children. We are confident and have faith in the teachers. I strongly believe that my son will receive the best education he could get here at St. Joseph School. A Parent

St Joseph Elementary School 1

Posted January 19, 2015
This school is just awful. My child attended it all 9 years (95-04) and he just hated all their rules and regulations. Teachers very unintelligent and cannot see the constant bad behavior going on. Child does not have good relation with the teachers and never wants to see that school again now that its over with. I personally enjoy the experience with the teachers, though the principal was very rude and inconsiderate to my opinions. One of my main concerns is the pink concerns the band students have to wear when they go on their field trips. The boys complain and complain and another parent i met recently told me they still continue to do it. I greatly regret this decision and hope this review helps.

St Joseph Elementary School 2

Posted January 01, 2015
I sent my child here to provide the same Catholic education that my parents gave me. I wanted my children to learn about God and Christian values while growing up. However, SJS was not that place. I was paying for a religious education not advanced placement kindergarten. The school puts too much pressure on academics and not enought on Jesus. SJS has forgotten that they are should be leading with the word of God and not pushing for Honor Society or another Blue Ribbon. If your child is AP ready you will love it here. If your child is middle of the road or farther behind your better at FCPS in a smaller classroom.

Posted August 02, 2014
Wow, these reviews are very disheartening. Does anyone have anything good to say about the math and science programs at St. Joseph's? I recognize that negative reviewers are more likely to post, but there should be a few more positive reviews here ... unless ...? I am considering St. Joseph's for my 9 yo son, and it would be great if there were more posts here about the specifics of the quality of the STEM classes. Thx.

St Joseph Elementary School 2

Posted April 20, 2014
We bought a house in Herndon so we would be close to SJS. However, it became clear early on that we would not be sending our kids there for their entire elementary-school career. While I liked the teachers my kids had in kindergarten and 1st grade, the 2nd-grade choices were questionable, and above all the principal is not interested at all in the opinions/concerns of the parents. Suggestions are met with a paternalistic pat on the head. Times have changed in the ~40 years she has been there, but things remain status quo. As far as the quality of the education - I judged the science fair for 2 years and had to stop volunteering out of disappointment. There are no opportunities for enrichment or extra help. The Blue Ribbon status they are always touting was from SEVEN years ago! Like many parents, one of my reasons for choosing a Catholic-school education for my kids was so they could be taught in a Christ-like environment. I found this was not the case at SJS - the only benefit was having religion classes so my kids didn't have to spend their Saturdays in CCD. Christian values can be taught in any school, whether or not they can use the word Christ.

St Joseph Elementary School 3

Posted September 16, 2013
Overall, St. Joe's is a good school. It is challenging academically with large classes (35 max per classroom - which really is too large for first graders trying to learn to read). If your child is at either end of the spectrum, it may not be the best fit for them as classes are geared for the high middle of the curve. The teachers are mostly very encouraging and loving, except for one who likes to bully certain kids - and yes, everyone knows who that teacher is but nothing is ever done about it. (I hear the same complaints each year.) The school community can be cliquish and some of the kids are bullied terribly - again, everyone knows who those bullies are, but nothing is done, maybe because their parents are bullies as well. I hear the older grades are worse than the younger, so heaven help us when we get there. Having said all that, our kids are happy, they are learning and I have met many wonderful people there. There are many volunteer opportunities (once you take a class) that give you the chance to see the school and meet others. I think smaller classes (at least for the little ones) and a zero tolerance toward bullying would go a long way to make this a 5 star school.

St Joseph Elementary School 3

Posted August 17, 2013
For the most part I think St. Joe's was a good school. I sent my children (3) there because I wanted them to get the same education I did, that is a catholic taught environment. The biggest problem I had with the school was bullying and clique problem particularly by the students. It was apparent that the parents imparted this behavior because, for the most part, they were very competitive. However, there were a few congenial parents. The teachers tried to help the students, some more than others. Another problem, there was a lot of nepotism.

750 Peachtree Street, Herndon, VA  20170
Last modified St Joseph Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades K-8
St Joseph Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 45 reviews. Top