6-12 & Ungraded|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Posted February 08, 2016
My daughter has attended Cortona Academy for almost two years. Cortona has been an excellent school choice for her. She has had great academic classes and access to interesting and educational field trips. I was also impressed that they read nine classics in English class during one school year, wrote essays and discussed them all. She has been taught valuable note-taking and organizational skills. Note-taking is performed on their computers as well as the written essays in class and out. She has done very well here due to her teachers, her specialized curriculum, small instruction groups and the flexibility to add in one-on-one sessions to the schedule. Her curriculum was geared towards her needs. The courses she takes are challenging but the schedule is setup to ensure she has ample time for homework and time to pursue her interests outside of school. If your child is sick, has an opportunity outside of school or otherwise misses classes, the school is setup to support the student and the teachers work with them to catch up. For all of those reasons and more, it has removed the stress and anxiety she would otherwise experience at school. What we also appreciate about Cortona is the environment. All of the students know and support each other. The rare issue is addressed quickly by the principal, whose goal is to ensure there are no social issues hindering their academic and emotional development as students.

Posted November 18, 2015
Cortona Academy's curriculum and computer-based teaching techniques are light years ahead of other schools we've looked at, and we can't thank them enough for their all-out effort to help our son achieve at higher levels than we ever expected.

Cortona Academy of Science, Technology & the Arts
Grateful to: School leader

Posted November 18, 2015
My great thanks to Sharon and Karlis Strauchs, without whom Cortona Academy would be merely excellent.

Posted June 16, 2015
Cortona has helped my son in math. He struggled in the public school because of lack of resources. Cortona provided teachers and tutors to bring him up to speed. He was even able to pass a Chemistry course because of the excellent teaching staff at Cortona. My son was given a second chance. College was a possibility because Cortona made it possible for him to be eligible to achieve success. He got into 3 of the 4 colleges he applied to with Cortona's ability to crack the code on each child's learning capabilities.

Posted January 29, 2015
Cortona Academy has helped me so much over the past 2 years. The small class size and individual attention paid to each student allows them to move at their own pace and excel. The technology that this school possesses is amazing too. The 3D printers alone are a huge draw for anyone interested in a STEM field. The teachers really care about the students and the student body itself is so supportive. Cortona Academy helped give me the confidence and optimism that i know is going to help me succeed in college.

Posted January 15, 2014
Cortona Academy is just what I needed to get back on my feet. As a high school student attending a public school, I never felt appreciated as an individual. Sure the social culture of a public school was great, but it lacked the individual attention I needed from my professors. I also was never very comfortable speaking to my teachers outside of class if I needed the extra help because, in all honesty, it was 1) intimidating 2) sometimes not worth the wait. In a public school, teachers have about 100 students, give or take, to teach and look after. They grade every test, essay, and homework of every student, and just don't have the time for one on one help sessions. Cortona gave me the attention and compassion that I needed to stay focused and truly feel comfortable around my teachers. Their small classes provide that individualism that I was looking for. Although I was unnerved by the fact that the school was less that three dozen students, I have made wonderful friends and found each and every day enjoyable. Although very frightening at first, I have found it to be one of the best decisions of my life. I am proud to say that I am a Cortona student. =)

Posted November 28, 2013
November 2013 Cortona Academy has one the best STEM-based programs on the East Coast. The ratio of students to staff is approximately 3:1. This ensured that our son received one of the best educations in the Washington Metro area. The tuition is comparable to any great private school in the D.C area, but I would have paid double just because of the unbelievably wonderful and helpful staff that helped my son become everything he now is, which is a great and prosperous college student. Our experience is typical of any parent who cares about their child, his well-being, and happiness. Signed, Happy Cortona Parent.

Posted September 26, 2013
Caring and supportive teachers and staff who want your student to succeed. Flexible scheduling if your student has outside interests, as well as flexible areas of study.

Posted September 10, 2013
Cortona Academy offers a unique learning environment. It may not be for every student, but for some it is the way to salvage their academic future. My very bright son has struggled for years with ADD, a significant health issue, and a terrible attitude toward school. He had given up, after bad experiences in two private schools and a public high school - all well respected institutions. Cortona has turned him around and he sees a way forward to success. Small classes with excellent, caring, highly-qualified teachers. A low-key, flexible approach that allows kids to be who they are. No judging, no bullying. Yes, you will have to go elsewhere for most extra-curriculars, but there is ample opportunity for service and there are some extraordinary field trips. My son goes to school willingly, enjoys his classes and his friends and knows he is accepted and valued. If your child tends to be an "outside the box" kind of person, and needs to be in a more intimate environment, Cortona may be the answer. There is nothing else like it.

Cortona Academy of Science, Technology & the Arts 1

Posted August 23, 2013
Cortona Academy is overpriced and understaffed. Their graduating class of 2012 was only a handful of students. One look at their website should tell you everything you want to know about this "School".

Cortona Academy of Science, Technology & the Arts
13505 Dulles Technology Drive, Herndon, VA  20171
Last modified Cortona Academy of Science, Technology & the Arts is a Private school
Cortona Academy of Science, Technology & the Arts Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top