Posted December 02, 2014
My school is a fantastic academy. The head of the school is a brilliant women who has constructed one of the best schools in the entire DMV area. The technology and resources that this school possesses is staggering and helps to insure that every single child gets the best learning experience possible. -Eric

Posted February 10, 2014
Cortona Academy's curriculum and computer-based teaching techniques are light years ahead of other schools we've looked at, and we can't thank them enough for their all-out effort to help our son achieve at higher levels than we ever expected.

Cortona Academy of Science, Technology & the Arts 4

Posted January 22, 2014
Cortina makes the future possible. The teachers take the time public school teachers don't /can't because the student teacher ratio is wonderful. It is a non traditional school, but traditional schools only teach to the SOL. This school allows the student to think out of the box and explore real life. Students are performing 3-D printing, observing surgery at hospitals, and touring local DC area attractions (Library of Congress/Goddard).

Posted January 15, 2014
Cortona Academy is just what I needed to get back on my feet. As a high school student attending a public school, I never felt appreciated as an individual. Sure the social culture of a public school was great, but it lacked the individual attention I needed from my professors. I also was never very comfortable speaking to my teachers outside of class if I needed the extra help because, in all honesty, it was 1) intimidating 2) sometimes not worth the wait. In a public school, teachers have about 100 students, give or take, to teach and look after. They grade every test, essay, and homework of every student, and just don't have the time for one on one help sessions. Cortona gave me the attention and compassion that I needed to stay focused and truly feel comfortable around my teachers. Their small classes provide that individualism that I was looking for. Although I was unnerved by the fact that the school was less that three dozen students, I have made wonderful friends and found each and every day enjoyable. Although very frightening at first, I have found it to be one of the best decisions of my life. I am proud to say that I am a Cortona student. =)

Posted November 28, 2013
November 2013 Cortona Academy has one the best STEM-based programs on the East Coast. The ratio of students to staff is approximately 3:1. This ensured that our son received one of the best educations in the Washington Metro area. The tuition is comparable to any great private school in the D.C area, but I would have paid double just because of the unbelievably wonderful and helpful staff that helped my son become everything he now is, which is a great and prosperous college student. Our experience is typical of any parent who cares about their child, his well-being, and happiness. Signed, Happy Cortona Parent.

Posted September 26, 2013
Caring and supportive teachers and staff who want your student to succeed. Flexible scheduling if your student has outside interests, as well as flexible areas of study.

Posted September 10, 2013
Cortona Academy offers a unique learning environment. It may not be for every student, but for some it is the way to salvage their academic future. My very bright son has struggled for years with ADD, a significant health issue, and a terrible attitude toward school. He had given up, after bad experiences in two private schools and a public high school - all well respected institutions. Cortona has turned him around and he sees a way forward to success. Small classes with excellent, caring, highly-qualified teachers. A low-key, flexible approach that allows kids to be who they are. No judging, no bullying. Yes, you will have to go elsewhere for most extra-curriculars, but there is ample opportunity for service and there are some extraordinary field trips. My son goes to school willingly, enjoys his classes and his friends and knows he is accepted and valued. If your child tends to be an "outside the box" kind of person, and needs to be in a more intimate environment, Cortona may be the answer. There is nothing else like it.

Cortona Academy of Science, Technology & the Arts 1

Posted August 23, 2013
Cortona Academy is overpriced and understaffed. Their graduating class of 2012 was only a handful of students. One look at their website should tell you everything you want to know about this "School".

Posted June 11, 2012
I started at Cortona Academy in the fall. I really like the small class sizes and the teachers. They let you work at your own pace and you only take the tests when you are really prepared. The later start times are also a huge benefit. All the kids are supportive of each other and get along well.

Posted June 05, 2012
Cortona Academy provides an invaluable niche in education in Northern Virginia. If you are searching for a school with rolling admissions during the school year and want a place for your child to thrive, this is it. We left a large public high school after my son received a concussion in Freshman football. He needed shorter hours in class, small class sizes and caring teachers who let him work at his own pace while he recovered. Children come to Cortona for all sorts of reasons - bullying in larger schools, poor grades and anxiety to name a few. The teachers are very knowledgable and supportive. The enviornment is small and there is flexibility in scheduling. The Director is passionate and has a strong conviction that everyone can flourish in the right environment. If your child is not old enough to drive himself, at least one parent needs to have a flexible schedule and parental participation is necessary to make the most of all Cortona has to offer. It is a blend of a homeschool philosophy and an elite private school. Children find extracurriculars outside of school. Their goal is to work together with parents to build a strong college resume for each child.Thanks Cortona!

Cortona Academy of Science, Technology & the Arts
13505 Dulles Technology Drive, Herndon, VA  20171
Last modified Cortona Academy of Science, Technology & the Arts is a Private school
Cortona Academy of Science, Technology & the Arts Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top