6-12 & Ungraded|Private

Bad
Good

Cortona Academy was the best investment I ever made in my child's future. The cost is equal to other private schools in the DC Area, but there are merit scholarships and financial aid available. No where could I find a school that insured that once my daughter was in college, Cortona's level of education and systems of learning would KEEP her in college. Nor did I believe that the money I was paying would nearly all be paid back by the level of college scholarship my daughter would receive. This happened to us! We were amazed! Looking back, the fact that from the beginning, the Director saw my daughter as a successful, confident student and leader changed her life. She began to believe in herself and imagine a great future. This Director focuses on the whole child, not labels and not grades. An incredible woman! What I truly loved so much about our time at Cortona was the humanitarian values instilled in all the students and the incredible staff. What school has a staff like this? I'm so proud of who my daughter is today, and thankful to everyone at Cortona Academy for everything they have given our family.

Cortona Academy is a great school. Cortona has helped me strengthen my academic career over the last two years. They have a great support system for students from grades 6 to 12. When I came to Cortona last year I didn't have the greatest grades even though I considered myself smart and Cortona has helped me realize my potential.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

Everyone is friendly and the environment is very safe and positive.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

Every student is free to form their own path. Students run the projects at Cortona. No one student is the same and everyone is encouraged to be leaders within the community.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Cortona Academy places a strong emphasis on hard work and determination. Students are rewarded for their hard work. Every student is free to form their own path and be leaders rather than following after others. The students are respectful, the staff is respectful. At Cortona, students learn what it means to not only be successful but to learn from mistakes and figure out how to prevent them in the future. This prepares students for the real world. Cortona offers values that everyone can keep dear to them even past college.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers are extremely dedicated to doing their work. If anything is unclear the instructors clear up any confusions. The teachers are friendly and welcoming. Students should not hesitate to ask questions and Cortona offers a safe learning environment where everyone feels safe.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

At Cortona homework no longer feels like an obligation. Homework is fun and studying is an interesting way of learning more about the topics at hand. The homework implements real world events and situations and allows for elaborate discussions in class.

Cortona Academy is a prestigious school that has helped me in ways I could not have imagined. Before I arrived at Cortona I attended a very competitive public school. I have attended public schools my entire life and the environment is much different from that of a private school. At my previous high school, I was just an average student, I was a part of the band, I made good grades, and I always did my work. Though it seemed I was getting a feel for public schools, I was not happy with what was going on. At my public high school, the environment was very stressful. I had to force myself out of bed at 5:30 am to get ready for school. I had to stay up late at night finishing piles of homework to make sure all the work for my seven classes were finished. I was overwhelmed. I no longer enjoyed school and I no longer saw the value of education. When my parents saw how stressed out I was it was the final straw. I searched for a good private school in Virginia in hopes of better opportunities. We stumbled upon a private school in Herndon called Cortona Academy. Cortona Academy brings more to the table. When we went for our consultation I sensed a much better environment. The students and teachers are very friendly and the environment is stress-free. I was able to adjust to the school very quickly. The teachers are more than qualified and are extremely dedicated towards teaching their students all they can. The curriculum is advanced yet easy to follow and the course-load is very reasonable. At Cortona, every student is given the essentials necessary to be more than prepared for college and the outside world. Cortona offers a STEM program like no other. Every student is free to work on their own projects. Each project offers ways to solve real world problems. Through STEM I have been able to link many ideas to a bigger picture. Before Cortona, I was upset and frustrated, not sure how to achieve my academic goals. Cortona Academy gave me hope, motivation, and the tools necessary to prepare me for the outside world and I am forever grateful for what Cortona Academy has done for me.

When I took classes at Lake Braddock from 2007-2010, I was just another face in the crowd. Classes were packed with students beyond capacity where some kids could not even benefit from a desk. For four years I went into classes feeling like teachers were not really focused on me, that I was not receiving the proper productive attention that a child my age needed. Also, in addition to feeling isolated at school, my family was going through a difficult era at the same time. The cumulative result of both these foundations of my upbringing being unstable drove me to find some semblance of stability with whoever could offer it the fastest, meaning that the quality of the new support network was of very low quality. Therefore, my grades, and my life, quickly took a nosedive for the worse. Luckily, my parents still cared enough about my future that they found a solution to my travails, sending me to Cortona Academy. That being said, Cortona Academy was a different experience to me. I was used to a large school environment with over 4,500 students; coming to a school where there were only thirty or so peers was quite a change for me. However I was not aware of the skills which I could apply to college and general life that I would learn from my tenure at Cortona Academy. I learned how to be a fast, but productive, reader of difficult texts and textbooks. I learned how to take effective, memory-enforcing notes that helped me retain much of what I read. But even greater than the study-skills that I garnered from Cortona Academy, were the life lessons that I learned. I realized how important it is to do as much as I can while I had the privilege of youth; that all that I did as early as I could would greatly affect my life’s progression, either positively or negatively. Before Cortona Academy, the now was all that mattered to me. Adulthood and responsibility were a long way off. But Cortona Academy helped me to see that time really does fly and that I must be aware of that or time would pass me by. Cortona Academy truly did speed up my maturing process and helped to shape me into the better, more social, and contributing member of society that I am today.

My daughter has attended Cortona Academy for almost two years. Cortona has been an excellent school choice for her. She has had great academic classes and access to interesting and educational field trips. I was also impressed that they read nine classics in English class during one school year, wrote essays and discussed them all. She has been taught valuable note-taking and organizational skills. Note-taking is performed on their computers as well as the written essays in class and out. She has done very well here due to her teachers, her specialized curriculum, small instruction groups and the flexibility to add in one-on-one sessions to the schedule. Her curriculum was geared towards her needs. The courses she takes are challenging but the schedule is setup to ensure she has ample time for homework and time to pursue her interests outside of school. If your child is sick, has an opportunity outside of school or otherwise misses classes, the school is setup to support the student and the teachers work with them to catch up. For all of those reasons and more, it has removed the stress and anxiety she would otherwise experience at school. What we also appreciate about Cortona is the environment. All of the students know and support each other. The rare issue is addressed quickly by the principal, whose goal is to ensure there are no social issues hindering their academic and emotional development as students.

Last modified Cortona Academy of Science, Technology & the Arts is a Private school