Herndon, VA

Coates Elementary 3

Posted January 29, 2015
One plus is that this school has a very wide range of ethnicity groups which is something I really like. Another would be that my son loved this third grade teacher and sometimes he and a few other students from the class will have "Lunch Bunch" with her (Ms. Toriano). According to him, many of her past students really enjoyed having her as a teacher and I would agree that she was a great teacher. The cons- very large racial issues with this school! I suppose that comes with the diversity among students but far worse here than two other schools my son has attended in Fairfax County. In addition, these kids feel much older than what they really are regarding crude language, "empowerment", and their interactions with adults. I have many issues with my son being bullied on the bus by older kids or kids who are are darker than him. He even had a kid ask him once if he was black and stated no and he's been bullied ever since. His teacher this year has a nasty attitude. At Back to School Night we couldn't imagine how she talked to kids after she kicked one parent and child out of her trailer. I'd say this is a 4/10 overall.

Posted January 14, 2015
Ratings given to Coates doesnt do any justice to the amazing staff. My son attended KG at Coates in 2013-2014 and based on the what he learned I will give a 10/10 rating. His teacher(Ms Laurie Connole)kept us updated frequently on my kids progress. We moved to a high rating school this year, and I can say with full confidence Coates is an excellent school. Ratings for sure will improve in the coming years.

Posted November 10, 2014
I love this school, my son was there last year in KG class and his teachers Ms. Hardin and Ms. Kethu were the best. unfortunately we had to move and Now he is in a different school in Loudoun county it's 8 out of 10 in 1st grade, but the stuff they are learning now, he already took it all in Kindergarten Class. 1st grade for him is like a repeating class. I'm thinking of taking him back to Coates.

Posted September 30, 2014
This school is underrated on this site! The teachers love what they do and it shows. The after school programs are such an added bonus. My child takes piano, plays chess, plays soccer and is in the Advanced Academic Program. Coates maintains a realistic classroom size and really look out for the welfare of their students. Thank you Coates Teachers and Staff for being a fantastic place of learning and development!
2 people found this helpful

Posted September 17, 2014
I cannot be happier with the quality of education my child is receiving at this school, not to mention after school with the variety of enrichment classes. The teachers are all very devoted and do a wonderful of catering to the unique population of Coates.

Posted July 20, 2014
My son just finished second grade at Coates. He loves his school, his teachers and his classmates. The teachers are very supportive and provides ample encouragement to the kids and he is all praises about them. He is a very shy kid but has a diverse group of friends who support each other, he helps those who struggle in reading and loves to compete with those who do well on math and spelling which are his favorite subjects. I am extremely happy to see him flourish in this environment. Parent involvement is key in the success of the kids and I provide as much support as I can while managing my busy work schedule. I look forward to another year in this great school.

Coates Elementary 1

Posted October 09, 2013
The children at this school are extremely over sexualized. I have severe bullying problems for my daughter in sixth grade. She has been called very vulgar, rude, and racist names. My family and I plan to move next month. In the mean time, she will be homeschooled.

Posted October 08, 2013
My son loves his school and learning lot of new things daily. I am happy to join him in this school

Coates Elementary 4

Posted September 06, 2013
My child just started kindergarten so my review is based on a very brief experience. I really love how the school feels, clean, bright and happy! I love the teacher, who responded to my email the same day I wrote it. I also love all of the technology they have available in the school. During the open house, various programs were presented, such as the PTA, and I got the impression that things are definitely moving in the right direction. I am looking forward to the Back to School Night when we can find out more about the academic standards.

Posted December 31, 2012
Coates Elementary has always been a great school. I am not sure why there are negative reviews about the school. Teachers and Staffs at the school are very helpful and cooperative. My both kids (daughter and son) go to the school. Teachers are knowledgeable and always appreciate students to perform good in the class. The school always organizes different evening activities that helps students to get involved in the events and have fun. I would personally like to be thankful of the Principal, Teachers, and Staffs about their excellent service for the school.

Coates Elementary
2480 River Birch Rd, Herndon, VA  20171
Last modified Coates Elementary is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Coates Elementary Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top