Herndon, VA

Posted May 06, 2015
As I review some of the negative comments, I find myself laughing out loud3. I wonder how much time these people, who have so much to complain about, actually spend at the school. I am at Dranesville daily, and volunteer weekly. I have worked for FCPS for many years, spent time in many elementary schools, and wouldn't send my children anywhere, except Dranesville. I am very impressed with Ms. Manoatl's involvement. I visit schools where principals spend most of their time in their office with the door closed. Ms. Manoatl is always visible as well as an active participant in every aspect of the school day, and the myriad of after school activities. Further, Ms. Manoatl doesn't tolerate incompetence; she sets the bar high for herself; she sets the bar high for all of her staff. And unlike many other administrators in the county, she is quick to identify, and get rid of, ineffective teachers. In regards to previous comments made about the numerous non-English speaking students, and not enough staff to support English Language Learners, research shows full immersion is the fastest, and most effective way for children to acquire a new language.

Dranesville Elementary School 3

Posted May 01, 2015
The school is very united they do a lot of great activities great team spirit. The teachers are friendly nice and very involved. I'll three of my children love to go to school each day.

Dranesville Elementary School 2

Posted September 17, 2014
Two of my 3 children have gone through this school and the changes that have taken over the years have been quite shocking. Enough so that I yanked my 3rd out and put him in private school. The principal and now two vice principals appear heavily focused on the students who don't speak English while the average to above average kids are all forgotten. They have added a GT program, but oddly there are kids in there with SIGNIFICANT behavioral problems and causing great disturbances for the others that want to learn. All the schools resources seem go to those students that have difficult with English. (Gotta boost those test scores to save jobs.) When your child is being partnered with another child to teach the other child BASIC ENGLISH something is wrong. My child is supposed to go to school to LEARN, not to be a teacher to someone else who doesn't even want to be there much less understand what's going on. Many of the veteran teachers are running away from the school in droves (or being forced out by the administration) so the turnover rate is high.
2 people found this helpful

Posted May 29, 2014
My son has been attending Drainsville for the past 3 years. He has loved all of his teachers. The office staff is all very friendly and welcoming. The kids that attend are very polite and thoughtful. I have been volunteering there every weeks for the past three years so I know first had.

Posted February 05, 2014
This school is great. The teachers are fabulous and caring! The office is helpful and you get the overall feeling that all of the adults care about children.

Posted February 04, 2014
Dranesville teaches manner but the academic level needed to improve big time. Comparing to the other public school my nephew and nieces attended the level is beyond below...

Posted February 01, 2014
We love Dranesville! There is a strong history and many veteran teachers that are committed to kids and families. The PTA does a great job, there is significant parent involvement, and great school spirit. The school is clean and well cared for. We are very happy there.

Posted August 28, 2013
My kids went to this school for a few years and it started fine but ended poorly. Grades 1-3 were fine but grades 4 and 5 were terrible. PTA slaves get special treatment, of course, while teachers struggle to use the hard won equipment purchased through fund raising - smart boards are a joke. The problem in this school is teachers who are not held accountable for their poor work performance. If I performed as poorly, I would have been fired. With a few exceptional teachers aside, this school is terrible. I am considering home school.

Posted August 18, 2013
My daughter has been very happy going to school here. She's been a student for 3 years now and she (and I) have been very happy with all the teachers she's had. It's a warm, caring environment. I've met with the principal and I think she is very personable and is doing a great job. Very happy that Level IV Academics are coming to Dranesville this fall. The PTA is also great, lots of opportunity for parent involvement.

Posted March 15, 2013
My child has come home with soiled clothes several times that they didn't even notice had happened. The children noticed but not the two adults in the "small" class. My child says he wasn't able to get their attention to go in time. When he tells them he had an accident they make him fend for himself or even worse once time told him to stand in the sun to dry off. Three hours later when I picked him up he was still wet through his pants & undies & was even bluish, it was a cold winter day. Some power seeking rude staff . They never co-operate with parents. They try to impose new rules like dictators; they try to dominate on Parents like small kids. Teachers are not great, whereas some of them are okay. Some of the good ones cannot even speak up to their co-workers & help the parents. Communication varies greatly.

Dranesville Elementary School
1515 Powells Tavern Place, Herndon, VA  20170
Last modified Dranesville Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Dranesville Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top