No rating

West End Christian School

Private | PK-12 | 194 students

Living in Hopewell

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $94,700. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $750.

Posted June 4, 2014

Don't be fooled by all the smiling and Bible-thumping. There is a mean, evil spirit in this place.

Posted May 20, 2014

I graduated from this school and I am a adult now with a career and family. I can tell those reading this I had to take several courses through correspondence classes because West End did not have the staff to teach the subjects needed to graduate. I struggled and there was not a abundance of options for additional help or tutoring. The enrollment is expensive plus there are additional fees, no bus service, etc. If you are willing to pay for a private school for your child, go check out the larger schools. There are very limited extra curricular activities and sports here. They are just too small and don't have the funding. You get what you pay for so if you choose this school because it may be lower priced than other private schools, your child will pay a different price. I can also tell you that although it is supposed to be non-denominational, when I attended, I was shown anti-Mormon and anti-Jehovah Witness films on Chapel days and it was widely known here, not all Christian denominations were accepted here. This is fact. I have no personal interest or gain by writing this. I have graduated from here and moved on but it was a struggle that I wish upon no other kid.

Posted March 29, 2014

I have been going to this school for three years now and I love it. The teachers are great and want to help you as much as possible. Though we have minimum activities for the high school levels, the school tries their best, I know. The small classrooms let the students get more attention from the teachers. The teachers are funny and amazing!!!!!!! Oh, and the food is great. What's not to love?

Posted January 6, 2014

I have three children enrolled at WECS in the elementary school and pre-k programs. It is a small, Christian school and the tuition is very reasonable. For children in their Pre-K and Kindergarten program you would be hard pressed to find a similar program at that price. The teachers genuinely care about the children and are very kind to them. Academically, it provides a sound education for the elementary and middle school children, I can't personally speak to high school. Compared to similar schools in the area, I think it is excellent. There are fancier schools in the Richmond area with more extracurricular options and fancier buildings and equipment but they cost at least twice as much. If you are looking for a good, safe place to send your children for a quality education then WECS is a good option. There is definitely room for more parental involvement, so I hope more parents will choose to get involved.

Posted May 8, 2013

High school is mediocre in extracurricular activities. They also have a very poor guidance program that does not help students who are trying to get into college. This school is money hungry, and caters to those students whose parents give a little extra money to the school. The teachers are good which is the only reason that I will give this a two star rating.

Posted October 5, 2012

I attended West End many years ago and I loved it, but the West End of years ago is no longer the same school. I am sadly dissappointed at what I have experienced recently in dealing with this school. They do NOT treat each student equally.........there is favoritism, unfairness, and unchristian ways of handling situations......unfortunately at the expense of the "unfavored" student. Thankfully, I am a Christian and I know that God knows the truth in every "situation", and I have given it up to Him . I can no longer recommend this school!! G

Posted February 6, 2012

Out children have been attending West End Christian School for the past several years. It is a wonderful school, with great leadership, teachers and friendly staff. The teachers emphasize getting the know the children on an individual basis and working with them on their strengths and weaknesses.

Posted February 6, 2012

WECS has re-structured itself over the years bringing it to a point of offering a qualified, caring, and positive environment for our children. This is our second year at WECS and it has only progressed in a positive, family-friendly environment offering the ability to meet the individual needs of the children, small class sizes and teachers who take time to work with each student and maintain a positive and open line of communication with the parents. They have implemented a foreign language class for students to include elementary grades, several learning techniques which offer a way of learning for all students, and several extra-curricular classes/after-school programs. The school offers a large variety of field trips to coincide with the lessons being taught and to make learning a fun and enjoyable task, instead of a more mundane approach. We've been very pleased with WECS and encourage anyone to stop by and take a look for themselves. The teachers and staff are very approachable; they care about their students and offer a good education for students. There is a lot of family involvement in the school which only betters the education and well-being of the students.

Posted October 17, 2011

Great school! Sent three children all the way through this school. Graduated and went to college. College has been a breeze for them. Oldest is graduating this year.

Posted July 17, 2011

I sent my daughter to WECS school last year and she is going back again this year. West End has many things to offer students; variety of sports, small classroom sizes and teachers that genuinely care about the children. In previous years, I sent my daughter to another christian school that was over twice as expensive, they did not offer any sports, no after school care and I felt she was very suppressed. My daughter has really stepped into her element and flourished in this loving community. She is getting good grades, playing sports, having a blast with her new friends and most importantly she is also learning about Jesus Christ! I feel the classroom sizes have given her the opportunity to get more individualized attention and have the teacher really understand her strengths and weaknesses. I would recommend this school to anybody and with the great prices it is hard to find a reason why you should not be sending your child here!

Posted November 2, 2010

I do not feel this school is money hungry at all since their tuition is half the cost of previous years. The quality of the academic course material and the teachers is above other local private schools. Their administration with an actual Principal and Vice Principals with Education Degrees and Teaching experience is also a discriminator from other local private schools. Highly recommend sending your child to this school as it is a Christian school and not run by any particular church.

Posted August 6, 2010

This school has done nothing but go downhill. West End is soooooo money hungry it's crazy. The teachers could care less what is going on with the students. If a student has a problem, they better not go to a teacher..They will only get mad and tell them to go sit down. Yeah! Some great teachers. So go ahead and send your kids there. You will see how crazy that place is.

Posted September 18, 2008

I will never recommend this school to anyone. West End does not prepare your child for anything but community college. Anyone one who is thinking about sending their child here should reconsider

Posted July 30, 2008

I had 2 students at one point enrolled at WECS. My daughter has now finished her BachelorsDegree and woring on Masters. My son has finished 2 yrs at UVA. Bothed received excellent preparation for college. Great class environment and low student to teacher rate, creates a place to learn and be motivated by caring faculty.

Posted October 6, 2006

It is a quality school, good size classes, good teacher / administration leadership, activities/sports available, good coaching.

Posted August 3, 2006

My child is currently entering the first grade at WECS, and has attended there for K4 and K5. She enjoys both the atmosphere and the school itself.

Posted March 14, 2006

This is a great school that is adding more extracurricular activites all the time. The staff have a genuine love for the children and they care about the education they are getting.

Posted March 14, 2005

This school must be the worst I've ever attended. I attended WECS for almost 3 years and every day was a nightmare. The teachers hardly push you to do your best and the students have their own little cliques, relunctant to let anyone else into their groups. If you are different than them, then you are outcasted as a weirdo, whatever they decide. Most of the HS teachers are very nice, but some are quite slow and quite old, their teaching styles are outdated.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted January 27, 2005

My child was severaly left behind in every thing. Their are no arts programs beyond chorus and basic music class and hardly any sports. Parents werent extremely involved. Overall I felt the school just in general didnt give me and my child the moneys worth that i payed. Also the amount of safety for my child was naglectful. She could have walked out at any time and gotten into my car simply by asking to go to the bathroom.

Posted January 27, 2005

I went to this school and when i left and went to public school. I found that I was severly behind other people my age in academic ability and just basic knowledge. I am now in college and have found that I am having to take the lowest coarses possible in all areas. This school did nothing but pass me in all my grades and at the time it was nice to not fail but I really wish now that they had not. The availability of extracuricular activitys is nothing beyond a basic music or choral class and a phys edd class. Parent involvement is not above normal school standards.
—Submitted by a former student

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Presbyterian
Associations
  • ACSI

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1600 Atlantic Street