Hopewell, VA

Posted November 05, 2014
If I could give this school a zero, I would! The staff is mean and hateful. They dont treat parents nicely. They have the stupidest rules. Parents are not allowed to enter classrooms. The administration does not support parents. I was not treated nicely at all. I have moved my child to another school. F ---

Posted October 31, 2014
I was treated like the enemy. They didn't want me at the school unless I made plans the day before with the teacher. cant always make plans like that since they change. I was then told by the vice principal that I was disrupting the class/lesson by being there without making a plan to visit and that I was to "Wrap things up" and to "either leave my child to finish out the early release day or take her home early." I was not happy with the way I was treated as a guest in the school. They need to get their act together!

Posted October 31, 2014
I felt insulted. I felt like my granddaughter was in a prison instead of a school. She wasn't allowed visitors or snacks for a holiday. I've never been so insulted by a public school that my taxes help pay for. The staff was rude, inconsiderate, and unorganized. I was basically chased out of my granddaughter's class by the principal. I am glad my granddaughter has moved to a new school as Halloween was her last day at that horrible prison of a school. ~ From an angry and displeased grandmother.

Posted August 10, 2013
When I had to switch my kids form Prince George schools to Harry E. James in Hopewell, I wasn't sure what to expect since there were a few people who talked negative about Hopewell school but 3 years in this school my sons are doing great, honor rolls, advance in reading and great caring teachers.

Posted August 31, 2011
This will be my childs 4th year at HEJ and I am very pleased with the teachers he has had. As far as parent involvement goes I interact with the teachers mostly through email and I am never turned down and the majority of the time get an answer very quickly. I do not feel that I need to actually go and watch my child in school because if there was a problem then I am aure the teachers would have let me know of some sort. I love the security they have at the doors and they have to let you in it makes me feel like he is safe! I also love the parent connection and with that in mind the teachers could post grades a little sooner. I love this school!

Harry E. James Elementary School 0

Posted April 27, 2009
I have 1 child at this school and I feel that that Mrs Elliott and Mrs. Brown have help me alot to understand what the lesson plans where. I don't feel like I am alone when helping my child understand. How ever I don wish that the school could provide a tourting class after school Ms. C.

Posted April 02, 2009

Harry E. James Elementary School 3

Posted March 28, 2008
I am a parent of 3 children that go to this school. I am happy with my children's academic progress but, I don't feel that this school welcomes parent involvement. My oldest child went to a different school his first year and I felt very welcome to come to the school and check up on my child and his academic progress at anytime the teachers and staff members welcome you without any problems. With Harry E. James you need an appointment to come to the school and visit your child's class. If you do not have an appointment with the teacher they will refuse to let you go to the child's classroom. The purpose of coming without an appointment is to see how your children and their teacher are interacting without the knowledge of either of them knowing you are coming. Other than parent involvement this is a good school.

Posted November 26, 2007
I have taught at many schools in several states. I have 27 years of experience in the field of education. Harry E. James is one of the best schools in the U.S. The administration works well together to make our school safe place to learn. The faculty and staff are highly qualified and concerned about each student individually. We have a close knit staff that strive to improve themselves and the students each year. We were the first school in Hopewell to be fully accredited and have continued to be fully accredited as well as meeting AYP each year. Our school stresses technology and want each of our students to be well prepared to meet any challenge they may face.

Harry E. James Elementary School 3

Posted November 02, 2007
The academics at HEJ are great. They really challenge the kids. The school promotes parent involvement but does not seem to happy to have parents at the school. This is my second child at HEJ. I am more involved than I was with my first child and the involvement does not seem to be welcomed. When there is a problem with something, it seems that the only way to get people to listen, to the concern,is to get very upset.

Harry E. James Elementary School
1807 Arlington Rd, Hopewell, VA  23860
Last modified Harry E. James Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Harry E. James Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top