Isle of Wight Academy

Private | PK-12

Sweep tile

Posted March 19, 2014

Both of my children have been here since preschool and are now in higher grades. I cannot say enough about how wonderful the teachers and staff have always treated our family. No matter who you are or what you name is we have always been treated fairly. The PTO puts on wonderful fundraisers and all of the clubs do things to raise monies for various occasions. I am glad to be a part of the IWA Family!

Posted March 14, 2014

This is a great school! I can't say enough wonderful things about it. My preschooler has enjoyed every second and we look forward to many years at IWA. I have found every single person at the school to be very professional, helpful, and most importantly, caring. The new Early Learning Center will be a great addition to the campus. Not sure what the previous post is talking about - from what I've seen the school celebrates all of the student's accomplishments and is constantly expanding the opportunities for them. Thanks IWA!

Posted January 19, 2014

I graduated from this school and went on to achieve my Masters without difficulty. My children are now attending, so one could say that I'm all in when it comes to IWA. The school is not perfect (none are), but I got a good education and I have been pleased with my children's experience thus far. My favorite points about the school are the small town / family atmosphere, diverse selection of extracurriculars, and freedom to say a prayer at an athletic event / school function. The school thrives based on dedicated parents and alumni. We plan to be around for many years to come.

Posted February 19, 2013

My two children went there and my main problem with the school is that you are promised small class size and that is true in the first couple of years. Then they combine the classes and you end up with a much larger class. Even this year they accepted more children than they ever have in the past but the campus is still the same size. Where do they think they are going to fit all of those kids? My children were also bored. They were not challenged enough there. We were told that they teach to an higher level. That was far from the truth. We ended up pulling our children out and they have flourished at their new school.

Posted February 8, 2013

We transferred from another private school and our daughter is very happy here. We have had no issues being accepted into the IWA family . Other students welcomed her as their friend and her academic needs are being met beyond our expectations. IWA provides more than a caring teaching staff and a challenging curriculum, it offers a variety of activities. Our daughter plays sports, made the forensics team, participates in the R.A.K. Pack (Random Acts of Kindness club), and a variety of other activities that allow her to shine without being overscheduled. There is no doubt the students here are well rounded and prepared for college when they graduate. I have recommended IWA to our friends who were dissatisfied with the culture at other private schools and those who have transferred their kids here are so happy they did.

Posted February 23, 2012

We started here with high hopes. Overall the school is OK. The lower school curriculum is a one-size-fits-all type. Faster students are ignored and told to draw pictures to keep them from being too bored instead of being taught to a higher level. We've been told that "all the students must get through the curriculum". It doesn't matter if the child already mastered- a year ago- what's being taught. With regret, we're leaving for another school... not due to anything but the lack of a flexible, challenging curriculum in the lower school and a lack of caring by the teaching staff itself. I expected much more from a private school.

Posted June 24, 2011

I have one daughter who has attended Isle of Wight Academy for two years and a second daughter who will be starting there this fall. We have been nothing short of completely impressed with the quality of education our daughter has received. The faculty genuinely care about the students and the school, and the value we're receiving for our dollar is excellent. The building is older, but improvements are continually being made. We have 14 years ahead of us at Isle of Wight, and look forward to every minute of it!

Posted September 9, 2010

My two kids have ben going to IWA for 3 years now and we love it. The academics and interest the teachers have in the students and parents are second to none. Unlike the gov't run school system, which I was privy to, there's no "pushing them though" here. The kids earn it, it's not given. The campus may not be as modern as most gov't schools, but that is not what getting an education is all about.

Posted June 16, 2010

We love this school!! We have had one child there for 2 years now and another will be starting in the fall. Parents are always encouraged to help/participate in student activities and we had great communication with the teachers and school leadership. I'm looking forward to my children spending their entire school careers here!

Posted August 27, 2007

Our children will be at IWA until they graduate & we are already hoping the grandchildren attend! In addition to routine academics students are encouraged to 'think outside of the box' & become confidently independent. The faculty becomes an extended family, many of whom spend additional hours making sure the children have a variety of extracurricular activities. It is wonderful to send your children to school where their greatest fear is not having enough pencils!

Posted October 2, 2006

this school provides superb academic leadership and couples it with character development. They do listen to parents with special requests and try their best to accomodate. It is safe, friendly and best of all head and shoulders above the local public schools in academic performance. Great value for the money spent.

Posted April 6, 2006

Great Private school, best value for education. The teachers are awesome and care very much for their students. I would highly recommend this school as the best alternative to public school.

Posted June 15, 2005

An outstanding school! As a graduate of IWA, I was lightyears ahead of my other peers at college. I actually knew how to read, write and analyze and I had the academic discipline that other students lacked. Also, IWA's offering of dual credit courses got me out of all introductory science and English courses. Most importantly, IWA's family atmosphere and the teacher's genuine care and support of each and every student ensures that every IWA student succeeds in his or her own way. The school's arts programs (with outstanding performing arts) is also growing at an exceptional rate. Growth at IWA is everywhere! I will be teaching at the school next year and I can't wait for my children to attend and have the same quality education that I had.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted April 7, 2005

Wonderful school for EDUCATING your child - not just teaching them. My child attended IWA from grades 4-12 and is now an engineering student at Virginia Tech (and on the Dean's list). Every member of the faculty and staff is dedicated to working with parents to assure that IWA graduates are not only well rounded students, athletes, and leaders, but also good citizens and mature young adults ready for the challenges they will face after graduation. I condsider every dollar spent for education at IWA an outstanding investment.

Posted February 19, 2005

This is a great school. I went to this school and I have one child that attends this year. If your child is interested in athletics this school offers it all. It is also very much like a family. I think the reason is because of the small class size and parent involvment. I have been pleased with every aspect of this school.

Posted August 13, 2004

I think this is the best school ever. My children will be going until graduation. I feel so safe & secure knowing my children are being educated excellently and they are safe from harm.

Posted July 26, 2004

Isle of Wight Academy is a great school, my three children love it there (one is graduating in 2005). Everyone knows everybody, and the small school atmosphere is great. Also, this school wins a state championship in at least one sport about every year!

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

P.O. Box 105