PK-8|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Whether we are looking after your infant, or your eighth grader, at PWA we strive to ensure that every child feels loved, safe, and nurtured within our walls. We offer an advanced curriculum starting in Jr. Kindergarten, and foreign languages for all our students, beginning in preschool. Our goal is to prepare our students to excel in the global environment of the future, and we believe that there is great strength in our diversity. Our school is accredited by NAEYC, the ACA, and the Virginia Independent Schools Association (VISA). We are currently undergoing the process of accreditation with the Southern Association of Independent Schools as well. We gladly hold ourselves accountable to these accrediting bodies so that parents may feel confident in the standards we maintain at all grade levels, from infancy through middle school. We offer tours for prospective families every weekday. Please call 703-491-1444 or visit our website to schedule one.
January 31, 2017

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted January 31, 2017

The 2016-2017 school year was my child's first year at PWA and as we are heading into the second quarter we have decided to remove our child from this environment. I'll begin with the positive aspects of the school. The academics are a grade ahead which was good because it offered my child a challenge. The weekly homework packet offers about 30 minutes to an hour and a half of homework each night depending on if the child can work independently, how quickly they work, and there attention span at the end of the day after school all day. Some weeks homework packets are easier to complete than others, but family schedules and plans can also be affected or affect homework completion. With that being said academics and homework level are good . My reason for the one star rating is from our experience with some, not all of the teachers and staff, and also the students and parents of the students in my child's class. My son was constantly bullied and harassed by other students. On one occasion my child was even held down and by two students one of which told my child that their father told them to beat my child up because there was a previous incident between by child and that child. Unfortunately no staff members witnessed the attack and therefore nothing was done. I tried to convince myself that it was just children rough housing on the playground but almost every other day my child informed of the same child or other children saying mean and hurtful things. My guidance to my child was to steer clear of the mean children but unfortunately there paths seemed to cross and the other children would still harass my child when the teacher wasn't looking. Several parents are advocates for their bullying children and unfortunately those same parents make considerable donations to the school which means those children remain in the school due to their financial status despite their unruly habits. If you are looking for a school with an emphasis on providing your child a well rounded education in a safe environment free from discrimination or harassment then PWA is NOT the school for you or your child. Parent to parent, please listen to your children when they inform you of issues or injustices at school. I wish I had removed my child from this school months ago.

Prince William Academy has been a Godsend for our family! We were relocated in December 2015, with no family nearby or familiarity with schools/childcare options. We initially had our daughters in a childcare center, however after 4 weeks had to find an alternative due to lack of structure and care. I attended a preschool fair at the local library and met the PWA representatives. My daughters are now enrolled in the Jr. K and Preschool 2s classes. The curriculum is structured and very well rounded and includes gym, language arts and cultural diversity. PWA is not just a school, they are a family and part of the community. PWA offers before school starting at 6am and after school until 630pm, they do their best to offer childcare on snow days as well. Lunch can be provided at the school if desired. The pre/post school and snow day childcare options are not available anywhere else. PWA has given my husband and I peace of mind knowing our daughters are cared for in a nurturing and loving environment and being taught by very dedicated and skilled educators. The teachers truly care about each and every child. PWA keeps parents informed with weekly emails regarding school news and lesson plans. In this day and age, when both parents work (or when there is a single parent) it is a blessing to know PWA is there to help you juggle all aspects of childcare in addition to providing a top notch education experience.

Absolutely wonderful!! Love the small class sizes and close knit community. Plenty of foreign languages, extra curricular activities , loving teachers , high levels of academic achievement constitute high standards that are tough to beat by the public school system .

My son started at Prince William Academy 2 weeks before beginning Kindergarten (Aug 2015). It was a great idea suggested by the staff and other parents. The suggestion wasn't for 2 weeks specifically, but I thought that it was a good enough head start for him to get familiar with his new school before starting the Kindergarten program. Formerly, he attended Little Lambs, Inc. in Woodbridge for preschool, which did a great job preparing him for the elementary level. I'm so happy with our experience with PWA. The staff, parents and students are great and they strive for a high standard of excellence. I'm in constant contact with his teacher through email and in person, and the school's administration is always reachable in person, by phone and email. Both Kindergarten teachers are amazing. My son broke his arm during labor day weekend at the beginning of the school year and my husband and I were so concerned with him falling behind, but they made sure that he didn't miss a beat. The kept him engaged while caring for his safety during his intense healing process. The parents association really tries to get parents involved in all aspects of the school. It's an environment that makes you want to get involved and volunteer (even though we are all super busy working parents). Academically, my son is learning at a 1st and 2nd grade level with reading, math and language arts. He is learning computer technology, art, science, and additional languages like Spanish (which he started back at Little Lambs, Inc.) and Mandarin. I love the standard that his teacher sets for the classroom. She is pleasant, kind, caring, patient and effective with her teaching methods. She recognizes each of the special gifts that the students bring to the class and tries to cultivate and enhance their confidence. This allows the students to want to learn and try new things. He also attends the after care program that is mostly administered by the actual teachers and they help him with his homework. Of course, the cost of the tuition was a factor that my family had to consider with everything else we have going on, but I'm writing this to say that we made a great choice with Prince William Academy. You have to try it for yourself. Stop by for a visit. The parents and staff are always there to welcome you and address your questions. From: A parent - Chris G.

A wonderful school ! If you are looking for small class sizes, Loving staff, High standards of achievement and excellence .. Look no further . Both my sons attend this school and we are extremely pleased at the high standards of education that are maintained in a very family friendly environment. Our children are not just numbers . Their teachers cared very much about their grades, level of understanding , ensuring that concepts were very clear to them. I would recommend this school to anyone and everyone who is looking to get away from the below average don't care indifferent callous environment of the public school system .

Definitely not for us. I should have known during my visit prior to signing a contract not to send my daughter to this school. The push to sign the contract, how the yelp and other low review comments being posted were probably written by former staff that had been fired or parents that couldn't afford the tuition should have been a big red flag. Not following my initial instinct after moving to the area shortly before school began we made the decision to sign. Problems began almost immediately. It was clear the teacher we had been assigned was not up to the task. While being told repeatedly by the principal that teachers "should be following the curriculum and if they weren't it was because they weren't following the criteria for the school I realized this was just another excuse. The work that the students were getting was most of the time above what they were capable of and we, like other parent's in my child's class were spending hours each week night on homework for things they had not covered in class. From speaking to the other parents, this was the norm as the school had an aggressive schedule to stay on the right page of the text, based on the date. Snow days counted, for instance, if you missed 2 days due to snow, when our child returned they were 2 days ahead in the workbook, the pages that would have been assigned during those days were missed. This set our child as well as others up to remain behind. When we brought this to the administrations attention we were told we could "hire" a tutor at the school or seek outside assistance. I found this to be interesting since one of the initial selling points was the teachers utilized differentiated teaching and children coming in usually integrated seamlessly. While the school does provide a caring environment, most schools do, public and private.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Lots of turnover in the teaching staff so it's difficult to gauge effectiveness. Each parent seemed to have a timeline in mind to leave the school based on the teacher at that particular level.

Amount of homework: Agree

The amount of homework is acceptable if the material is similar to what is covered in the lesson plan.

Prince William Academy has a fantastic infant program. I looked at dozens of programs and I am so happy I picked this one. They have small classes and the friendliest staff. The teachers do a great job communicating with me adhering to my child's schedule. I recommend this program to all of my expecting friends!

Last modified Prince William Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-8