PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

When it came time to find a new school I took a long hard look at schools for my son and have seen them all. After touring LCDS and meeting with faculty and staff, I felt that there was no comparison. (We are currently enrolled in the lower school) LCDS emphasizes the growth and nurturing of the entire child throughout their educational career (through 8th grade), mind, body and spirit. LCDS is educating future citizens with curious minds and a sense of community and compassion not seen anywhere else. The emphasis is on the whole child. As a PhD myself, I understand the demand and requirements for rigorous curriculum, but I also understand the need to foster the natural curiosity a child has, thereby educating and creating lifelong learners. It is much more than learning strings of facts. Critical thinking is at the core of everything my son is exposed to and he is fully supported in his interests. He loves learning and attacks everyday with vigor. The pace is vigorous, but he is encouraged and challenged to meet the demands. I know of no place else where teachers are genuinely interested and vested in the learning and development of my child. I recommend that you seriously consider LCDS. I promise you won't regret it.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

My son will be at LCDS through Middle School. His first year has been outstanding and we look forward to the rest of his school career with LCDS.

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

Bullying is not tolerated. All in all the children respect one another differences and all. In our experience there have not been any incidents of bullying. Any conflicts between children are quickly and fairly dealt with - but again we have had no direct experiences with bullying.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

My son is a bright boy. From a young age he struggled with a speech impediment that Child Find and others passed off as a phase he'd grow out of. My concern was that the speech impediment would eventually resolve itself, but at what cost? From day one his teachers were on top of it and he has had the therapy and support he needed to continue to learn while correcting the impediment. I can confidently say that by the end of this school year the speech impediment will be a thing of the past.

Develops character: Strongly agree

We are headed by very fine leadership.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

LCDS is wholly focused on the development of the entire student. Certainly academics are very important, but being a good citizen of the world is as well. In my opinion this is what sets LCDS apart. Nowhere else do I see that the adults are modeling the behavior they expect to see in the students. LCDS does this and does it extremely well.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

Homework is certainly age appropriate. Typically there is one math or language arts assignment and 15 minutes of reading. Occasionally there is an additional assignment and we have begun projects at home. The project typically reinforces the classroom exploration of a subject and as I see it is a way t get children to think about pacing themselves for the work to come, getting them use to extended deadlines. Sure there is something that I will help him with, but I see that as part of my role as the parent.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Same quality of teachers (or worse) than public school... for 30k per year they should hire experienced teachers.

Amount of homework: Strongly disagree

Projects project projects... done at school? no, to be done with parents at home... prepare to sacrifice family time doing posters, blogs, pictures, dioramas, more posters, powerpoints, etc. Can they work on them at school? nope... family weekends are ruined at least 1x per month with inane, poorly designed project work with poor instructions.

Can I rate this place 0 stars? Today our 10 year olds were shown a PG-13 movie. No parental notification or permission or warning. If this were the first or the worst thing that happened here we might be able to overlook it. This happens all the time; the administration only cares to know how happy you are with the place and when you will drop off your fund donation (hint for 30k per year, you won't be getting an additional fund donation). Think long and hard before you get your kids messed up in this place.

Last modified Loudoun Country Day School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8