Bad
Good

I absolutely could not wait to get out of Harper Park when I went to school there. The bullying from students is horrible and the administration did little to nothing about it, and the bullying had become so bad for me, I had to transfer to another middle school in the county for 8th grade. They have removed all honors classes, which is absurd and no other school in the county has done this, all in the name of making everyone feel equal, which isn't typically the case for education since everyone is at different levels. This is just an unwelcoming school that is disappointing all around from the administration, the teachers and the students. Don't waste your time by considering this school, you will regret it.

I have been to 10 different schools. Yes, 10. I was born in Bulgaria and moved to the USA when I was 8. I didn't know english, and all the schools I went to didn't offer anything good. When I came to Harper Park, I learnt english very quickly. The teachers really know how to teach a student. As you can tell, Harper Park has improved my english spectacularly! For the parents, ask you child what they think and how they are learning before you add a review. You don't learn there, you don't really know how good it is.

Although this will be my daughter's last year at Harper Park, we both can't wait. Under this administration, this middle school has lacked vision, cohesiveness, accountability, and talented teachers. The principal seems more concerned about her appearance than hiring qualified teachers. Parent involvement is lacking, since most of us are fed up with the poor leadership. My daughter is also frustrated with the combined honors and regular class, this has been disruptive to her education. It has perpetrated a false sense of the "everybody's a winner" mentality, while my child is suffering and not being remotely challenged.

Since the departure of the Principal, Mr Shipp, Harper Park has begun a slow downward spiral. Current leadership is lacking and the open door policy with the new Principal is virtually non-existant. There are a few excellent teachers however there are some serious ego issues with many leading to what appears to be power struggles over who is better than who. And it's so unfortunate because when Mr Shipp was around, everyone was on board providing a fantastic educational experience. Quite different than it was before.

I have to agree with the parent submission on February 19th, this school does lack vision and direction. My daughter has 3 honor classes (english, science, history) and receives no homework, while peers in her youth group receives constant homework at different middle schools. I have personally experienced teachers not responding to emails when requesting homework or more challenging work for my daughter . Unfortunately the majority of the students are on the honor roll yet the test scores does not reflect intellectually challenged students...... Most students receives a "Honor Roll" bumper sticker!! I have decided to homeschool my daughter.

Harper Park Middle School is a wonderful place... Two of my three kids have spent three years of their lives there. The staff is committed and are great teachers and administrators!!!

This is an amazing school! They have created a wonderful learning environment for all the students. My children are excited to attend school and want to achieve higher goals because of the support and thoughtfulness of the staff!

Wow! What a great school! My child has been out of school for two weeks and he is already wanting to go back to Harper Park. The school simply does a great job with everything - the academic and social growth of our son this past year is tremendous. Everyday our son was adamant that the entire family listened to what happened in his classes at Harper Park - usually its like pulling teeth to get this type of information!

My son moved into this school district for his sixth grade year from a very good school district in Fairfax County, VA. As a military family, we have seen many different schools over the years. This school is top-notch and it begins at the top with Principal Shipp. He ensures that the parents are involved whenever possible. The deans and instructors have been terrific. Keep it up!

Hello, I'm a student in Harper Park Middle School I'm in ESL and as you see my English is better. Before I couldn't write much or knew so much about it, now i know a lot and this school is really good i give it all stars

Last modified Harper Park Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.