No rating

Providence Academy

Private | K-8 | 175 students

Our school is best known for its uncompromising high standards.

Living in Leesburg

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $375,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,660.

Posted June 11, 2014

Overall, our child has had a positive experience at Providence Academy. Classes are small, staff and faculty are responsive, and the school is run efficiently. Our child (who is in the younger grades) has met mostly nice kids and is happy in homeroom and specials classes. The school has done a great job in its first year as a new entity. In terms of constructive criticism, I would like to see more creative learning in the classroom. Our child's class had excellent structure and discipline through seat work, but I would have liked to see more critical thinking and creativity emphasized. I also hope that the school will enhance its arts programs as it grows. I think the school is responsive to parent input and will likely continue to improve as it grows and develops.

Posted April 29, 2014

Our family loves Providence Academy. My son is getting an excellent Christian based education. We feel that everyone is involved making this school better each year. I feel that the teachers really care about the kids, and they go over and beyond what they need to do. I would recommend this school to all of my family and friends.

Posted April 23, 2014

Providence teaches our children not only in a great academic way but also teaches our children how to grow spiritually. The teachers have a great relationship with the students due to smaller class sizes. This is better so each students can get some "teacher time" instead of feeling left out. The curriculum is outstanding and not only is my child learning new and worthwhile information, so am I, all over again. We feel Providence has become our extended family. Great job everyone!!

Posted April 23, 2014

Providence Academy has been a blessing to our family. Our eldest daughter struggled in school the first year she started out in kindergarten. She was in a public school with enormous class sizes. The teacher simply could not give the attention needed to the students. After much prayer, my husband and I decided to go the route of private school for our daughter for the next year. What an amazing choice we made! Providence offers manageable class sizes for the teachers, so each student is able to get individualized attention. Now, my daughter is excelling, and happy! Also, our son started at Providence Academy and he is also doing very well. In addition, the teachers are so approachable and you really feel like one big family! I recommend Providence Academy very highly!

Posted April 9, 2014

The school is wonderful. The teachers and administration truly care. The school has a unique ability to balance being Christ-centered, with providing an extremely strong education. The teachers focus on the academics, but even more so on the character of the students. The teachers and administration are kind and welcoming to the parents, and have created a place where students and families can grow.

Posted February 6, 2014

Our family has first and second grade students at Providence Academy, and next year will likely have a kindergartener. Both of my daughters have attended the school since kindergarten. When we decided to send our children to private school, it was only supposed to be for kindergarten. As a public school teacher, I know that our schools in Loudoun County are some of the best in the country, and did not think that we would be continuing their educations at a private institution. However, once we became part of the school family we quickly realized what a great place it was both academically and spiritually for our girls. Thanks to Mrs. Fulgham, who has been a teacher to both of my daughters, we realized how important a Christian education was to our family. Every teacher that we have had a PA has taught with love- love for the Lord and a love for education that is showered over the students daily. Aside from the teachers, PA has an amazing parent fellowship base. The parents pray together, serve together, and spend time making Providence Academy a place where our children can get, not just an education, but life lessons about God and His Love.

Posted February 6, 2014

Since 2008 I have had at least 1 child at Providence. We currently have 4 children enrolled in K,2nd, 3rd, and 5th. By far the most amazing group of talented teachers, staff and admin ever assembled under 1 roof. My K is reading-actually reading I find that the K teacher is the most amazing, talented, loving, and knowledgeable teacher I have ever met. Her dedication to our children is why we fell in love with the school and why we have all 4 enrolled. You will not find a school with more dedication, enthusiasm, knowledge, compassion and God center than you will at Providence. We have never been more certain that this is "IT" than ever. We find it is the most important thing we can do as parents is to raise educated, God centered, responsible and thankful children-Providence mirrors our goals and partners with us in our children's mental, character and spiritual development. The children at the school come from diverse backgrounds and each student brings a different perspective to the group and the teachers incorporate that into learning. Each child is encouraged and challenged to reach their best while raising the standard for all. This school is a blessing to our family.

Posted February 6, 2014

Providence Academy is a strong, unfailing Christian School with pride for Christ. Superior academics, parent involvement, highly qualified and caring teachers, a sound School Board, and a dynamic Head of School are just some of the many reasons why we have chosen this school for our children. This is a school that meets the academic and spiritual needs of children and their families. With a more than welcoming environment and interactive approach to education, along with small class sizes; it would be difficult to find a better educational environment than Providence Academy!

Posted February 3, 2014

We have been at the school for the past 3 years (when it was called Dominion and now as Providence). We have children in 2nd and K. The 2nd grader LOVES her teachers, the staff, the academics, weekly chapel, her classmates. I like that she says that math is hard for her because I wouldn't want her bored. But she always does well on her math tests. I have sat outside both of my children classrooms to eavesdrop. The reviewer that mentioned that the children are in their seats all day has most likely never visited or volunteered to help out. I stop by regularly. The other day they were working together to place the states in alphabetical order on the floor. Everyone was involved, happy, and out of their seats. The kids are nice to each other. There are the stray meanies, but overall, everyone becomes like family, including the parents. The Kindergarten teachers are so good and patient with these bouncy little ones. How they get them to focus is truly a gift. We have had both teachers. Both are godly women, with gentle, yet firm spirits. By the end of the year our oldest was engrossed in books and as a 1st grader was reading chapter books. Much more to say but running out of space!

Posted January 31, 2014

Teaching at Providence Academy is a privilege. The families and students are wonderful, and my fellow teachers are the best there is!

Posted January 29, 2014

I am a parent of a kindergarten child and this is our first year at Providence Academy. My husband is also a teacher like the poster below, but unlike that individual, we have had an extremely positive experience with the faculty and curriculum at Providence. We put a tremendous amount of research into where to send our child this year and decided on Providence because of the small class sizes, accelerated curriculum (as compared to public school), and caring faculty. The school has met and exceeded our expectations. In a short period of time we have seen our child make huge strides in terms of work ethic, maturity, thoroughness and critical thinking. These children are taught to listen, finish their work, take pride in what they produce, and enjoy learning. If that is old fashioned, we're all for it! Above all, our child loves going to school every day. The teachers we have encountered are all kind, communicative and flexible without compromising their standards. The headmaster is a wonderful leader. The special classes are the icing on the cake and thoroughly enjoyed by our child.

Posted January 29, 2014

The small class size allows me to get to know my students very well and work with them one on one on a regular basis. The uniquely low student to teacher ratio in the Upper School is a huge advantage, especially during a time of life that can be very challenging for adolescents. Being able to pray with my class and build confidence in their faith means students move on to their high school careers as leaders who are informed and influential.

Posted January 27, 2014

We believe every child is a unique gift from God, blessed in different ways. Providence Academy has a resource specialist to help students who need additional support. Additionally, we have an agreement with NILD specialists who assess all of our students in kindergarten, and any other student we suspect may have a learning difficulty. We work closely with the County to develop learning plans. We love all of our students!

Posted January 27, 2014

I love this school... it is the people in it that make it so amazing!! The children are loved and challenged to do and be their best! Christ is at the center of daily teaching and HE wants everyone to excel to be their BEST! The teachers and staff think of creative and innovative ways to make daily teaching all that it can be! Great School!!!!!

Posted January 27, 2014

We are not sure about the other comments about the lower school, but my daughter is in 1st grade and attended K here as well, we love the school and see we LOTS of hands on material and experimental activites coming home especially in Math and Science. The teachers in K and 1st grade are superior. We volunteer when we can and we have seen the teachers in the lower school in action and they are amazing to say the least. The principal is very knowledgeable and a wonderful leader.

Posted January 27, 2014

This is an excellent program providing a well rounded, highly academic learning experience. The Language Arts Program uses a mostly phonitical approach to teach reading, writing, and spelling. The children leave the Kindergarten program reading one to two grade levels above their public school peers. The program also daily incorporates grade appropriate literature, poetry, and Bible passage memorization. The children learn through whole group instruction, independent practice, and small group reading. Mathematics is another important part of the program. Children learn counting, time, money, patterns, comparisons, numerals to 100, problem solving, equations (to name a few topics) through whole group, small group, and individual practice. Children also receive daily instruction in Science, Social Studies, and Bible. This is a highly academic program that also gives students time to play, experience the Arts through Music and Art class, begin to learn a foreign language, and begin to understand the importance and fun of physical education. The class sizes are small and intimate. Children make good friendships that may last throughout their years at Providence Academy.

Posted January 27, 2014

Providence Academy is a school where Christ is present every single day. Of my 14 years of teaching experience, 7 of those have been spent with the most amazing, inspiring Christian teachers I have had the pleasure to know. Our school prides itself on small classes which allows teachers to teach to each individual child. With a close partnership with our parents we help every child achieve their individual goals. We engage the whole class in lessons that involve lively approaches to our rigorous curriculum. Providence Academy has such a strong sense of family. You can feel the joy coming from the classrooms as you walk our hallways. We love our students and celebrate their victories, both inside and outside the classroom. I am blessed to be part of this amazing community!

Posted January 27, 2014

Each day is filled with all kinds of learning in our classroom and school! Our Kindergarten is a full day program with a small class size environment- including gym, art, Spanish, and music classes. The K reading and printing curriculum blend together teaching students correct letter sounds and formation, writing and reading sentences, and then small group instruction emphasizing reading fluency and comprehension. During Math time students participate in large group activities as well as individual practice with direct instruction. Some skill sets include: numeral recognition and formation through 100, sequencing, patterns, addition and subtraction, time, and counting money. One of my favorite times in our day is teaching Bible. We cover an assortment of Bible stories and themes, highlighting character qualities. Our class memorizes scripture each week besides having song and prayer time as part of our large group instruction. The students learn and interact with our weekly Science and Social Studies units as we read and discover, go on field trips, or experiment and observe with hands-on projects. Visit our class blog for photos! (www.kindergartenclix.blogspot.com)

Posted January 12, 2014

We have had our daughter here this year...lower school. My husband is a teacher, so he has contributed to much of whats in this review: 1. Teaching in the class she is in is very traditional, 'butt in seat' all day, worksheets galore...i mean tons of worksheets coming home. There is no 'out of the box' thinking encouraged. No problem solving skills, no imaginitive play, no creative teaching. I expect high standards, but to me, that doesn't mean you cannot provide students with a hands on, exciting environment where learning can be fun occaisionally. 2. There is no librarian or tech teacher. 3. There is no literature in the classroom. THat is super important and an indicator of a good classroom environment. 4. There is no writing instruction. Handwriting, yes. But having students record their observations, show their thinking using writing is not happening. At least not in the very lower grades. Even in K this is important. Essentially, i believe like the other poster said that this school will be where it needs to be, but i aslo agree that focus needs to be on what's happening in the classroom pretty soon as the teaching and educational philosophy is pretty stale.

Posted January 8, 2014

I want to write a good review. I do. I have no doubt that one day this school will be amazing--one day. The new leadership is super. The staff is caring. The class size is small. However, they are definitely not there yet in terms of academic excellence. A WHOLE LOT of worksheets come home for the tuition we pay. Not much original student work, writing, exposure to literature, critical thinking, experimentation, etc. At least not in the class that our daughter is in (younger classes). May be different in other classed. She is doing well and likes her teachers, but we don't see a whole lot that would set Providence apart from the local Loudoun County schools....Sorry. I think the leadership is focused on growing the school--understandable--rather than the teaching/academic program. We will be sending our daughter to the local elementary school in our district next year which is rated quite high. I do wish Providence luck though, as i said, I hoped for a better experience and wish the school well.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Korean
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:20 am
School end time
  • 3:10 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Marie Miller
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Non-denominational Christian
Associations
  • ACSI
Fax number
  • (703) 779-3561

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Arts, music and physical health
  • Core knowledge

• Science
  • Service learning
  • Technology
  • Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Patrick Henry College

Media arts
  • Graphics
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom