Lorton, VA
Students enrolled: 2,924

Posted December 22, 2014
Dedicated teachers, friendly student body and overall congenial atmosphere in which students and faculty work together to achieve excellence. There is a lot of school spirit here and opportunity for students to excel academically, athletically, and in a variety of extracurricular activities. With a number of military families in the area, the school knows how to make students feel welcome. In a county with such high stakes testing and enormous stress put on students to get into good colleges, this school does a great job of helping students find balance. There is a sense of community here that is hard to find in such large suburban communities these days.

Posted June 02, 2014
This is the worst school ever a lot of people do not like this school. There system is stupid they are very strict when it come to "study hall" which they call "focus" over there. Like what kind of name is that? Focus is just an extra teaching period not even a study hall period! The teachers use it as an extra teaching not as a period where you can catch up oh homework or study for a class. This school is so stupid and has the most stupidest system ever. Fights happen a lot in this school, usually the fights always occur between two African American girls. These very dramatic girls fight for such stupid reasons. Just last yr when a fight occurred, half of the school began running to the locker pod and to watch the fight. While I was trying to get to class, the student who were running pushed and shoved me and my friend. Bullying is also a huge problem at this school. Some of the teachers are awfully rude and some of them like to get into your business. This school has been causing me server anxiety depression and I am not even allowed to transfer to another school even though I am very depressed.

Posted May 31, 2014
My school is horrible. This is the worst school I have ever been to. They are horrible kids and the teachers are bad. You only succeed if you teach yourself or if you are smart. The teachers have no idea how to teach and they favor the smartest students. They aren't motivated to teach the kids who aren't that intelligent. There is no way I would ever recommend this school to anyone besides the naturally smart kids. This is literally the worst school in America. They focus more on sports and activities than they do academics. I'd rather be in military school than here, it's like a prison.

Posted May 20, 2014
When the new middle school building opened in September 2012, South County Secondary divided into South County High School and South County Middle School to relieve crowding. My children do not yet attend the high school, but the middle school is off to a great start. I have had some small interactions with the high school, and my experience has been positive.

Posted February 04, 2014
South County is awesome!!! Great teachers, wonderful students and the parents are involved. Glad we moved to the area.

South County High School 3

Posted February 03, 2014
South County is certainly not terrible, but it's not great either. As a parent, I am often frustrated by the school's lack of communication, particularly about grades. For example, the quarter ended last week, and we missed almost an entire week due to the weather, so I emailed all my 10th grader's teachers about his progress in the quarter, since there were only three days left after all the cancellations. I heard back from three out of seven teachers, and so my student was able to turn in a couple of missing assignments in those classes. As for the other four classes, the second quarter is now officially over, and I have absolutely no idea how my child did in any of those classes, and I won't until I get the grade reports in the mail in a few days. It's a constant struggle to do the detective work it takes to keep up on the grades in each class. Some teachers are outstanding, and others, well, not so much. My son would probably give this school a 4/5 because he is involved in a school activity that he loves and that gives him a good group of other kids to hang out with. We are moving after he graduates and will not make an effort to stay within South County's boundary.

Posted November 20, 2013
After having a few children in the school system at all different academic levels I can say the school system works great if you have a straight A student but not for an average student or a child that needs extra support. If your child needs extra assistance they are like burden on the teachers who only want to deal with the straight A students who do not need any extra help.

South County High School 5

Posted November 04, 2013
This school has done very well considering its only a few years old. It has already made a list as a top 20 high school in Virginia. The school principal is doing a good job in purging mediocre teachers and getting great teachers from top counties.

South County High School 2

Posted October 23, 2013
in all honesty, South County is a bad school. As an un-bias student. It has the lowest subject scores in FCPS and the highest rate of bullying in FCPS. Some teachers are great, maybe 1 a year. But all of the other teachers are so un-motivating and so unenthusiastic about everything. This is a school where your health and willingness to learn does not matter. All that matters are grades. This is a school where if you do not do well on one test, you will fail the quarter and there is no after school help or remediation. Some of the brightest kids I know resort to cheating. Because of budget cuts, late busses are cut down to one day a week. Rather than the usual 4. This clearly inhibits learning as most class averages are around a C-, and even worse in AP Classes. I consider myself an un-bais student who gets good grades, but South County is the last place I ever want to be. With the awful people, the unreasonably hard tests and the expectation to succeed when teachers don't even care. Its ludicrous. This school should be shut down.

South County High School 5

Posted April 23, 2013
I love SoCo. A lot of the teachers do care that you should exceed in life, and many are inspirational. There are a lot of sports here, and many students get scholarships. There is so much school spirit and love here. But we do have are count for bullies, but they won't bother you unless you bother them. I can't wait for my next 2 years.

South County High School
8501 Silverbrook Road, Lorton, VA  22079
Last modified South County High School is a Public school that serves grades 7-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
South County High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 50 reviews. Top