Baldwin Elementary School

Public | K-4 | 579 students

Student diversity

Posted July 25, 2014

We are so excited about the direction of Baldwin. There are caring staff members and the probability of a new building on the horizon is just the right mix of energy with a love of learning. The students are lucky to have the the kind and caring teachers that have been carefully cultivated to nurture mind and body for the children of the Baldwin district.

Posted February 22, 2014

We were thrilled with Baldwin! All three of our kids thrived there and now the School Board has announced they are going to build a new Baldwin opening in 2016, very exciting for the great teachers and the community. I wish we could go back!

Posted August 30, 2013

Both teachers and staff are great! My son was nervous on the way to the meet and greet for new students. He will be going to second grade there. Within minutes I saw the change in his face, the teacher made him feel like home. On the way to the house he said he could not wait for the first day of school! All I can say is Thank you so much!!!! Looking forward to a wonderful year!!!!

Posted August 9, 2013

teachers are loving and caring! The counselor really cares about our kids (we had to work with her a lot and she is great) . The principal was hard to reach and AP changed the old AP really seemed to love working with parents. Overall, good school and I would not hesitate to enroll my child in this public school versus a private school as some of our neighbors choose to do.

Posted August 5, 2013

This school does a great job with my child. My child has attended for two years. The teachers work hard to challenge my child and also communicate well with me.

Posted February 15, 2013

I have had two of my three children attend Baldwin (one currently there), and have had an excellent experience in both cases. I have been impressed with both the teachers and staff - all of whom have worked closely with me to ensure that my children's educational needs are being met, and our expectations as parents are exceeded. I'm really rather surprised at some of the comments I've seen here, because my experience has been SO different. The one BIG question I have is where these parents that are so critical have been for the PTO/PAP meetings. That's the only area I see where the school falls short, and THAT isn't the school's fault. Perhaps if those parents spent more time being actively involved instead of just complaining, their experience might have been better. I have seen a few parents who have come in with a hostile, combative attitude, and I honestly believe that that attitude carries over into their perception of the school. Bottom line- It's a FANTASTIC school, even more so when you, as a parent, are willing to make the investment in being involved. Like a savings account, the more you put in, the more it grows.

Posted December 18, 2012

The teachers and staff at Baldwin are wonderful. I had many reservations about my children attending there. However, after 2 years and getting to know the staff and teachers by volunteering in the school, I am so thankful my children attend this school. We do want to move to a bigger house, but I want to stay in Baldwin's District.

Posted February 26, 2012

I am also waiting for feedback on this principal. If the assistant principal is usually responding within the hour, it makes me wonder how this could be possible? Unless she is always at her desk or you have only emailed once or twice? Specifically, what has been done to raise test scores/reading abilities, teacher morale and prepare students to move on to Mayfield? From what I see there is a lack of leadership in this principal and it shows.

Posted February 9, 2012

In the past, the teachers have been great. In recent years a severe decline in all aspects of education in this school. Admin is confrontational, interupt you during conversation and sometimes are just down right combative. I can only speculate that it is new administration. Those this type of 'good ole' boy attitude' has always been present in MCPS, it has only worsened with the exception of Betty Garry- a school relic or artifact, however you choose to view it. . Of course there is the issue with 10, yes ten admin positions that have a PHd and salaries to prove it inside the MCPS school system. (insidenova.com shows all salaries for our phd's) Oh, Dr. Cramp, your salary isn't listed and I'm curious as to why? The performance doesn't match the money going out. I encourage all parents to visit VDOE to research on your own the progress of this school. Don't take my word for it! I want to end with the statement that most of the teachers are truly awesome and are hard working. Many bend over backwards and spend their own time and money on their students. If you can move, do so. If your thinking of moving here- try PWCO or FFX.

Posted January 17, 2012

My child started at Baldwin in September 2011. The admin team and teachers have been very supportive and very friendly. I love that I can email the Asst. Principal with various questions and/or concerns and she will respond in a quick manner, typically within the hour. I was worried seeing some of the earlier reviews on this site, but I only have nice things to say about the staff and school.

Posted December 8, 2011

I have a kindergartner at Baldwin and so far everything is going great! The staff has been super friendly and supportive, creating a environment perfect for nurturing and learning.

Posted July 29, 2011

I absolutely LOVE Baldwin! My first pleasant experience was during registration and the secretary's name and reputation co-exist! The teacher my son had this year has been such an asset during this difficult time when he was just diagnosed with A.D.H.D. The special education teacher has been totally hands on and I have found that there is no better place than here. We are so glad to be a part of this Baldwin family!

Posted April 17, 2011

VERY happy with this school. I have a GT student, a Spec Ed student and one in the middle so I have seen a good bit of what this school/district has to offer and I'm pleased. All of my children have been challenged, encouraged and are progressing well. Our family has experienced terrific communication with Admin/teachers/staff.

Posted April 26, 2010

Oh, my! This place is too much fun..! You have staff that come up with the most FUN ideas for events, and incorporate that 'Fun' attitude in their classroom learning experience each day..And the kids are as 'pixielated' as the staff..!(Bookfairs are so cool, and the Assist. Principal's Hat Day...!..)

Posted April 24, 2010

Love the block schedule...grest staff, great teachers, great school!!

Posted February 5, 2010

Staff has lack of communication with parents. I have had several issues the last 2 years trying to get teachers to communicate. It's like pulling teeth. The admins are never available. The MAP scores are very low. They have limited funding for gifted students and do not go the extra mile to help higher level children to shine. It is sad to see my children suddenly hate school after moving here. I am moving out of the area just to get out of this school system Absolutely horrible!

Posted August 11, 2009

5 out of 5 stars. The teachers are excellent and focused on the needs of the children. I am very happy with Baldwin Elementary

Posted September 8, 2008

I remember when I first checked this school out and found several not so happy parent comments. Funny how now you only see the few good comments there were about this school. Well I'm adding my comments and hope it stays posted. We were at baldwin for 2.5 yrs. We decided not to let the comments of this school influence us with our decision but to my surprise the comments became apparent. Don't get me wrong they have some great teachers, the principle is average and staff members are horrendous. This school needs a makeover from the inside out but starting with the administration. So glad we moved!

Posted March 10, 2008

We purchased our home in the city for the schools. Our children attended Baldwin and loved it. The sense of community and responsibility for each other is great. Admin and teachers work closely with parents and students and are very caring and truly dedicated to helping the child succeed.

Posted July 18, 2004

I have 2 children that have gone to BES, 1 presently attending, and 1 on-the-way. BES staff really care about children. Each child's needs are evaluated and addressed. The teachers are skilled and bring out the best in each child. The impressive VA SOL results demonstrate their success. The noteworthy significance is that the outstanding SOL results were attained while having a large ESL and free/reduced lunch population. The principal knows each child by name and is a great leadership example, setting high standards for all and holding all accountable. The BES PTA is well structured, inclusive, and productive. The BES administrators work well with the administrators from other schools and district. BES has a mission that compliments the MCPS Strategic Plan. MCPS is the epitome of a small town community with aspirations to achieve significant contributions to the future by establishing effective relationships with family, teachers, businesses, and other schools.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 72% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 87% in 2012.

97 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 84% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests to assess students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, writing in grades 5 and 8, and science in grades in 3, 5 and 8. The SOL tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 70% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 84% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students62%

Students without disabilities89%
Limited English proficient students88%
Proficient in English89%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. Data is not reported when there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school.

All Students51%

Students without disabilities70%
Limited English proficient students54%
Proficient in English73%

Source: Virginia Department of Education

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

• Dr. Ashley Cramp

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

9705 Main St