Osbourn High School

Public | 9-12 | 2050 students

Student diversity

Posted July 19, 2014

Love, Love, Love this school. We moved to Manassas because family members told us about the "private" feel of the school for those students who truly seek a quality education. We found that and so much more. The staff is awesome. They are ready and qualified to teach to kids who want to learn. If you are a family who have a passion for learning, you will be ecstatic with OHS.

Posted July 18, 2014

Osborn is a solid school with a good staff. I have three children, all of whom attend city schools, and our experience with OHS has been a very positive one. Students who are seeking a first-rate education will get one at OHS. Like most endeavors in life, a student will get out of their experience there what they put in. I have also personally witnessed teachers and staff who will go well above and beyond in trying to motivate underachieving students to aspire to more. In three years of having a child at OHS, I have never once (nor has my child) ever felt unsafe, nor has she ever had an incident that would lead us (or her) to believe she was unsafe. No school is perfect, but OHS has done a tremendous job with our child. We had options as to where our kids would go to school, and we chose the city of Manassas with good reason.

Posted July 18, 2014

WOW... reading some of these responses I wonder why someone would make the statements they do, As a parent with now (2) kids attending OHS this school year I happy with the education they are receiving and the environment. This is from a parent that removed are children from Private schools to enroll in public about 4 years ago. Like all schools OHS is a reflection of our community and the students experience at OHS is a reflection of the support, guidance and leadership they receive at home. We have students that excel incredibly - attending Military academies, MIT, Johns Hopkins, etc. But rarely do these facts ever get brought to light. So I end with my rating of OSH with this... your experience in/with school is comparable with what you put into it.

Posted July 16, 2014

My son spent all 4 years at Osbourn High School and he had amazing teachers. I believe his classes helped direct him into his college major, mechanical engineering. He had an exceptional engineering and AUTO CAD instructor. He also received 12 college credits through the dual enrollment program which, by the way, the district picked up the cost. That is basically a full semester at college paid for by the school division while surrounding counties are passing that cost onto the parents. He is now a semester ahead at college and is doing wonderful. He loved his dual enrollment instructors and said that they definitely helped prepare him for college and were also a huge part in his successful first year of college.

Posted July 16, 2014

Johns Hopkins University and William and Mary. Those are the colleges attended by my children, both Osbourn High School graduates (classes of 2010 and 2013) who spent every minute of their educations in Manassas City Public Schools. So, sort of, enough said. Clearly, a top-level, world-class, competitive education can be gained via Osbourn High School; my daughter graduated a semester early and cum laude from Johns Hopkins. My son is on a full-tuition scholarship at William & Mary. But there's more to the school than just AP classes and dedicated teachers. My children were involved in sports, robotics, service clubs, and more. They grew up in hallways and classrooms filled with a richly diverse student body, and learned that the world is made up of a multitude of types of people, all intelligent and deserving and loving. I could not have asked for more! And via my children, I myself spent seven years very involved in Osbourn High School - seven very happy years with a community of like-minded, energetic, dedicated parents, teachers, and administrators. I cannot recommend Osbourn HS and Manassas City Public Schools enough.

Posted July 16, 2014

OHS is a good school with a good staff. The common theme is 'students first'. In my time as an OHS parent, I have seen the same truism repeat, over and over again - that a student will benefit as much as they are willing to work. Teachers and administration can only do so much. Students who work for and want a first-rate education will receive one at OHS. In three years of being an Osborn parent, I have been pleased by overall experience. Most have been quick to address issues and solve problems, though some have required more contact than others to do so. At OHS, as in life, there are some people who are easier to deal with than others. Most of our experiences have been positive and I firmly believe that speaks to the nature of the school and its staff. I do think that recent principal turnover has had an effect on the school, but to nowhere near the degree that other posts seem to suggest. It also remains a fact that my child has felt, and continues to feel perfectly safe in the school. We had options as to where our children would attend school, and we chose Manassas City deliberately.

Posted July 15, 2014

We love and support Osbourn High School! We are grateful for the new administration both at the school and in the division - positive changes are happening!

Posted June 23, 2014

As a former student, if you value your children at all, you will avoid the place like the plague. It's so bad that my teenage rebellion wasn't against the school administration, it was against my fellow students. If you send your children here, kiss their futures good bye. About 1 in 20 of my former classmates isn't a drug dealer as their main source of money, and farther more I've had friends that hated the place and the people there so much that they've kill themselves just to escape it. And just to put a bit of icing on the cake, sexual assault happens. Quite a bit in some of the classes under mine. The best thing to do is to remove your children from the city school system as soon as you can. There's a way to transfer them to the county with minimal hoops to jump through, I recommend you do it.

Posted June 4, 2014

The school adminstration never answers their phones nor do they ever call back. One star is too good for this school.

Posted April 30, 2014

OHS has provided my children with many opportunities to grow and flourish. They are able to make good choices in school and they are able to fraternize with like-minded friends. The fine arts program is unparalleled. The programs regularly exhibit dedicated sponsors who expect the highest standards and committed students who continually rise to those expectations. There are always things that could improve at any school but OHS has made a steady climb over the last year with the guidance of veteran Principal Cathy Benner. The school board is equally forward thinking and committed to the success of the children. I expect Manassas City Public Schools and OHS to be a "school and a system to watch" for the coming 2014-2015 year. With newly identified and implemented start times, the students of OHS are poised to make people "take notice" next year. Feel lucky if you are able to be a part of this amazing rise to greatness.

Posted February 21, 2014

I have nothing but great things to say about Osbourn. The teachers, mostly the English Dept, gave my daughter all the tools she needs to succeed. She has been accepted to The College of William & Mary for fall of 2014. We have worked hard to be apart of the family at Osbourn and it has paid off! Thanks Osbourn.

Posted September 9, 2013

My kids have been her for the last two years and done very well! They both play sports, hold high GPAs, and are safe. The truth is you have to be present in your child's life. The school has so many resources for our kids, you just have to take advantage of them. Yes , Guidance is a mess, but the administration should take care if that.

Posted August 30, 2013

Great teachers! I have nothing bad to say about this school. So far so good!

Posted March 18, 2013

Osbourn is dangerous and is not getting any better. The good teachers take flight as soon as opportunity knocks. Who can blame them. The students are horrible and out of control. The leadership is nonexistent. This entire city has changed in so quickly. It is truly embarrassing to have children who attend OHS.

Posted February 27, 2013

I just returned from a joint meeting between the Manassas City Council and the Manassas School Board. Both groups totally understand that as our schools reputation and results go, so goes our quality of life. It was great to see the level of committment and cooperation from both groups to make our schools in Manassas the best in the State. Both groups are to be applauded for the thoughtful, professional approach they brought to this session. Kenny Loveless-parent

Posted February 10, 2013

I am currently a freshman at this school. I don't see any gang activity or hear of it. I do hear about a fight probably two time a week. Only being at this school for a few month I can tell it's not the best. I like a few teachers nd I have met quite a few good friends. They hire teachers who I don't think even like children or teaching. My geometry teacher gives us the hardest problems ever! And most of his students have under a C average. And he doesn't even try to change it. The freshman priciple does his job well. The teachers don't even show up for conferences. Even though the school might have an upside, don't send your kids hear if you want them to have grades that aren't failing.

Posted August 9, 2012

It is such a shame what has happened to Manassas City and to the school system. It used to be a great place to live and raise your kids. Times have changed. The high school is a down right dangerous place to be due to gang activity and a weak administration. If you are thinking of moving to the area, better do your research.

Posted July 30, 2012

I will be going into my third year of high school, all of which have been at this particular school. The overall quality of teaching is pathetic. The teachers hardly know what they're doing, and the staff might as well not be there. I've gone to the office and asked to have a paper put in a teacher's mailbox, and they couldn't even do that! If you ask a teacher a question about the current subject being taught, they wouldn't know how to answer it! I honestly have no clue how they were hired to teach the younger generations. The school itself is also quite filthy. The restrooms in particular are a mess, with them seeming to be cleaned only once a month. There have been mice, rats, cockroaches, and who knows what else running around constantly. The parent involvement is also a joke. My own parents have scheduled parent teacher conferences in order to help me and sometimes the teachers didn't even bother to show up! There have been multiple cases where teachers have lost student's work and have decided to fail them without even looking for it. All in all, this school is horrid, and I warn those who wish to enter. If you want a great education, don't go here.

Posted March 21, 2012

If you are thinking about moving to The City of Manassas and have teenagers that will be going to Osbourn High School DONT DO It !!!! I am moving out of The City of Manassas so I can send my kids to a school with a competent staff and administration.

Posted November 6, 2011

Osbourn is a complete disappointment. My wife and I are alumni who actively sought Manassas City Schools when we returned to the area after a long absence. We have found the administration to be completely inept. The school is completely infested with gangs and gang activity. While they have hired a new principal, the underlying problems remain. Our dissatisfaction is such that we are selling our home, in this economy, to move our children out of the school system.

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 76% in 2013.

339 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 76% in 2013.

438 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 83% in 2013.

511 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 86% in 2013.

370 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 83% in 2013.

535 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 89% in 2013.

525 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 87% in 2013.

548 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 76% in 2013.

553 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 59% in 2013.

Virginia and United States History

The state average for Virginia and United States History was 86% in 2013.

508 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 85% in 2013.

511 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History I

The state average for World History I was 84% in 2013.

World History II

The state average for World History II was 85% in 2013.

466 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) End-of-Course tests to assess students in reading, writing, math, science and history/social science subjects at the end of each course, regardless of the student's grade level. The SOL End-of-Course tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. High school students must pass at least six SOL End-of-Course tests to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Algebra I

Students without disabilities59%
Limited English proficient students35%
Proficient in English62%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Virginia Department of Education

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

9005 Tudor Ln