Herbert J. Saunders Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1082 students

Student diversity

Special education

The school has not provided this information yet.

Posted August 23, 2014

Lunch is a place where kids should communicate with one another. We're deprived from that because we have to sit with our class with the same people. We can't make new friends if we're stuck with the same people every day.

Posted August 22, 2014

Honestly, Saunders Middle school is an OK school. Three stars basically describe it, average. Last year, when I was in 6th grade there were really cool teachers who actually cared for their students, such as Mr. Anderson, Ms.Folly, etc. And then there were teacher who frankly didn't care what the heck you did. There was a sub which I will not name, who "teach " in math after our other Math teacher Ms. Sturgill had a heart attack. The sub barely provided us with work and since I was in the advanced math, she just expected us to get everything right, so we weren't really learning anything...A lot of kids that year had their math grades go down that year...and then theres the new principle, who is WAY over the top with the rules. But hey, who am I to complain about? I'm just another kid.

Posted June 28, 2014

New school and my rating will be updated as I get to know the teachers and staff

Posted October 26, 2013

I thought saunders middle school was an ok school but with the new principal,I see it's gone for the worst. This principal is horrible with her new rules just like the lunch rule. Lunch is for kids to eat and talk with friends from other classes. I feel horrible for the students who go there now with this disgrace of a principal.

Posted September 12, 2013

My child is in the 7th grade. She had fantastic teachers last year, including Mr Davenport and Mr Anderson. I love this school and I am pleased with the education being provided. One invident with Mr sweet making unkind comments to his class. Alot of parents in this area think because of the diversity here, children can't be educated. Students can excel, as long as school not failing. Going to Benton is no gurantee success. Parental involvement with your children should be your focus

Posted July 5, 2013

Ok so the school is good I definetly think that three stars isn't the right amount so tell the truth and staff members please for give me but I think I seen subs do better this school should not go with principle. You've heard from me so take my advice. Sixth grade student

Posted June 13, 2013

My second child is completing his time at Saunders in a week. They have an excellent school and teachers. It does help if the parents are involved in the childs homework habits instead of expecting the teachers to do everything when they have so many students.

Posted April 27, 2013

my friends kids go to this school this school does not have a very good curriculum and not very good teachers one of her kids were bullied and no teachers said anything about

Posted November 24, 2010

I feel priviliged to have my son attend this excellent school! Great teachers and staff! High standards! Love it!

Posted October 10, 2010

We think Saunders is a great school with great learning standards which meet and exceed the Counties grading scales and expectations. The children learn to be academically, and socially prepared for High School. The teachers show their care and concern each and everyday for the students. In turn the students gain self confidence and school pride that can not be beat! Go Bulldogs!

Posted January 22, 2009

I was very impressed with Saunders. We could not have hand picked better teachers. They all showed an interest in my son and truly cared. I am looking forward to my youngest son going to this school.

Posted July 17, 2008

We have been at a lot of schools and I have never been more impressed with a teaching staff than here. They truly care about each kid. I called one afternoon, and was able to meet all six of my kids teacher the next morning before I went to work. They have been wonderful!

Posted May 17, 2008

Uh yeah I've been here for three years and they are a decent school. P.E. they have plenty of activities you're just not looking to do them. But the teachers in this school I'm not too fond of.

Posted November 30, 2007

I am a 7th grader at saunders. i am on the dance team and all the teachers love that i am up and doing something and they motivate me to do everything i can to stay on the team. the only problem is that they are very strict on what ever we do. they make us stay on the right, so they stick a chair in the middle of the smallest hallways. but i do follow that rule, the only problem is that we can't ever talk or ELSE!!!!!!!!!!! but overall there are some really great days at that school and many memories to come and to remember there at saunders!

Posted September 15, 2007

Saunders is not a greatest school in my opinion. this year the classes are too long in Math,Science,and Social studies class are 85 minutes.I really like P.E. but when I come to this school I really hate P.E. in P.E we are absolutely do nothing we just talk with friends or do whatever we want. it is good for who doesn't like P.E. but I like P.E. so I want to run or play basketball,soccer,and tennis... I been in saunders for 2 years I never run and I NEVER NEVER NEVER got tired in P.E class. P.E teachers are ABSOLUTELY do nothing they just watch kids play.

Posted May 19, 2005

Saunders is the nest Middle School in my opinion. I am a 8th grader at Saunders Middle school. Saunders teachers get you motivated to do your best in class. It has raised my math, language arts, and science grade drastically. I will be very sorry to leave this school. What I have expierenced at this school I probably will not in any other. It has achived the 2004 schools to watch and is one of the very few to have the person it's named after still living. I love Saunders it's the best Middle school I never would want to go anywhere else. You can easily make friends and the teacher quality is magnificent in my opinion. This school also has many extrcurricular activities for the students and has a Parent Orginization to help with the activities. Saunders also raises money to benefit other causes such as Cancer. Saunders Rules!

Posted March 2, 2005

I'm a 7th grader here at Saunders. I am in a verity of different programs here. A quality program is the SIGNET program for the gifted education. They also have classes for people with mental dissabilities. All of the programs for students are very well maintained and organized. Music is required by 6th and 7th graders (not for 8th graders). You can choose from band, chorus, or orchstra. All of these programs are awesome. You play a concert at least once a year, depending on your playing abilities. The extracurricular activites are so cool. There are SO MANY to choose from such as sports, art , music, and many others. Parents are also very involved. We have an excellent PTSO (Parent, Teacher, Student Organization) that supports everyone here at Saunders and helps us do a lot of extra activities outside of school. This school also won many awards for excellence!

Posted December 7, 2004

As an unmotivated student I presented a difficult task for the teachers when I attended Saunders Middle. But to their credit they never quit on me and continued to expect the most out of me. Now I'm a government employee with children of my own who are due to attend Saunders in a few years and I have faith they will exit Saunders fully prepared for high school and beyond.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted November 18, 2004

I do not agree at all. I go to Saunders and I wouldn't want to go anywhere else. The teachers are great.

Posted October 5, 2004

I agree with the other review. I went to Saunders for two years and it changed me a lot. The teachers weren't very helpful and I got beat up twice. Do your kid a favor and don't send them there.
—Submitted by a former student

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 74% in 2013.

318 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 86% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

319 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests to assess students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, writing in grades 5 and 8, and science in grades in 3, 5 and 8. The SOL tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 75% in 2013.

340 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 88% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

209 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 71% in 2013.

397 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 70% in 2013.

397 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 88% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

389 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

396 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students71%

Students without disabilities82%
Limited English proficient students67%
Proficient in English80%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. Data is not reported when there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school.

All Students82%

Students without disabilities87%
Limited English proficient students42%
Proficient in English84%

Source: Virginia Department of Education

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 76% in 2013.

119 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 76% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) End-of-Course tests to assess students in reading, writing, math, science and history/social science subjects at the end of each course, regardless of the student's grade level. The SOL End-of-Course tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. High school students must pass at least six SOL End-of-Course tests to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Algebra I

Black studentsn/a
Hispanicn/a
Multiracialn/a
White studentsn/a
Students identified as economically disadvantagedn/a
Not economically disadvantagedn/a
Students with disabilitiesn/a
Students without disabilitiesn/a
Limited English proficient studentsn/a
Proficient in Englishn/a
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Language learning

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Ms. Myca Gray

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

• Orchestra

School culture

• Volunteer in the classroom
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

13557 Spriggs Rd