The Potomac School

Private | K-12

Living in McLean

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $817,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,645.

Sweep tile

Posted yesterday

I have 2 children who attend the Potomac School - one in K and one in 4th grade. We couldn't be happier with the teachers, the adminstrators, the community, and the curriculum. The transportation is fantastic, with late buses that allow my kids to particpate in extra curriculars without creating a logistical challenges.

Posted April 7, 2014

My child came to The Potomac School as a ninth grader. At that time, my child was an excellent student, but had low self-esteem and was shy. High School is a tough time for some kids and I thought the shyness would get worse. Instead, The Potomac School took the entire ninth grade on a three day overnight so the class could gel. The sports teams went off on cabin trips so there was team bonding among grade levels. There are assemblies for each grade so kids can work out problems together. The parents meet to talk about grade level concerns. The community is tight and small, and all kids find a friend group that works. After the first 6-7 months at this school, my child was confident, looking for leadership positions, and happy. I hoped it would happen but didn't expect it in that first year! I gave four stars on teacher quality because there are a couple of new teachers this year that are still finding their footing. If the school does for teachers what it does for kids, those teachers should turn out just fine.

Posted January 26, 2014

Potomac is an absolutely amazing place to go to school. Unlike other schools, with numbers much bigger than ours, we can have a student that is captain of a varsity sport, participates in the school play, and plays a musical instrument. Overall the atmosphere is just a great place to be learning. Go Panthers!

Posted January 13, 2014

My daughter has been at the Potomac School for 2-years. It is an excellent school that is full of oppertunity. The academics are top notch!

Posted October 19, 2013

I was a past student for 8 years. Deplorable school. Tuition obsessed, hypocritical and now known to harbor pediphiles.

Posted September 17, 2013

Worse School to work at, Overrated; the staff does not know what they are doing! Stay away from them!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 16, 2013

Administrators are terrible and uncompassioate Teachers great No tolerance for learning differences Kids are elitist snobs No compassion in a supposedly caring community for children who do not fit the mold

Posted November 13, 2011

It is trying to boost the science program at the moment, but it's leaving other subjects behind. An incredible amount of money has been poured into a program that ultimately leads to a narrow definition of intelligence. As a student, I have heard from many kids that this program is really a mistake. It has extremely high goals, which no one has reached, and promotes the feeling that being smart means being good at math. The school needs to focus on the rest of the curriculum as well. In stead of pumping in math/science kids, add some people who love history or who read poetry in their spare time. We need some academic diversity -- a group who will inspire the kids to teach each other. Don't kid yourself, Potomac, we can't compete with TJ's science program. I would hope that parents could bring this up because it is increasingly frustrating for high school students, and that's coming from a math/science kid. That being said, I have had a fantastic time at the school. I have had great teachers and opportunities to grow at every corner. I would *highly* recommend Potomac.

Posted October 12, 2011

I graduated from the Potomac School and even though I do not regret my decision to attend if I did it over again I wish I hadn't attended this school. There is a false sense of community and a very elitist attitude. The school epitomizes the competitive nature of the East Coast. I genuinely believe that the school is gradually getting worse and worse as it tries to keep up old images. Some of the staff is genuinely interested in students and their success while others want to mold little robots that will donate more and more as alums.

Posted January 18, 2011

Wonderful Middle School. We have two children at Potomac. They started in Kindergarten and are now in 4th and 6th grades (middle school is 4-6 grade). The lower school provided learning in a play-oriented and caring community. The MS is just amazing with a dynamic head of MS, assignments that are challenging and fun (moon project, class plays in a real theater, outdoor education and environmental stewardship, vermiculture, writers workshop ...). The teachers are enthusiastic and accessible. The parents care about the school and are able to volunteer if they chose (no pressure). I'm looking forward the the Intermediate School (grades 7 & 8): I think it's wonderful how the school works with these grades separately.

Posted November 4, 2009

potomac is a great school they have a new lower school and it is the best school ever.It has a great community and they always have a smile on there face.
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 3, 2009

I have two children at The Potomac School and my children, my wife and I could not be happier. My wife and I both went to prestigious private high schools in different cities and Potomac has surpassed our high expectations. The school is demanding academically, but in a positive encouraging way. The teachers push the kids to achieve their maximum potential that potential that few children have the confidence to recognize without encouragement and mentoring. In Potomac s demanding, but positive environment my children have grown in multiple dimensions. I cannot recommend Potomac strongly enough.

Posted October 22, 2009

Potomac is an excellent school with top notch academics and a fantastic facility. Despite the recent growth, Potomac still has the feeling of a small caring school. I LOVE the academic rigor of the high school, but sometimes a few teachers forget they're teaching children who are 14/15...not college students.

Posted September 10, 2008

Have had 4 kids in 5 priv DC schools, incl all 4 divisions of this school from K through HS senior. This is an academically excellent and v family-oriented sch that puts hi priority on developing the whole child, & esp on promoting basic values of honesty, integrity, and responsibility of the individual to society. Rules are clear & consequences are fair. High points: Committed, innovative teachers and solid K-12 curriculum; an unusually involved and supportive parent community volunteers liberally; an extensive bus system & scholarship structure tries(+/-) to combat the inherent lack of socio-economic diversity in private schools; music & arts programs are supported enthusiastically throughout all levels. The only 3 areas where I would like to see improvement are 1) offer foreign language before the 7th grade, 2) emphasize sensitivity to & tolerance of learning differences, and 3) challenge HS instrumentalists with higher expectations.

Posted August 29, 2008

Best private high school in Virginia. Small classes, great teachers, very smart and competitive kids that go on prestigious colleges.

Posted May 12, 2008

My son has been a Potomac student for four years since he was in first grade. Many Potomac families are fond of saying 'that there is just something about Potomac' that is so NICE. It might be the end of day hand shake and mutual respect shared between teachers and students, it might be the musically filled Friday assemblies or it might just be the outstanding academics. No matter what the reason, Potomac children are happily engaged students who are eager to learn, curious about the world we live in, and delighted to help others.

Posted February 7, 2008

Very good school but unusually strict disciplinary methods. Suspensions and expulsions far too common for very minor offences.

Posted January 14, 2008

my child loves it here she says it is truly amazing!!!!!!!!!

Posted May 22, 2007

It is an amazing school. The teachers really care about their students. Nothing is wrong with this school.

Posted August 1, 2005

Potomac is excellent school w/ administration, teachers and parents who truly care about the education and well being of children. Potomac has four different schools to nuture the children on all levels. The academic program is extensive and rigorous but the kids learn and have fun at it! Music, art, physical education and science are available. Extra curricular activities really doesn't exist until 7th grade. My son is entering his 5th year at the Potomac School and I recommend Potomac to any and everyone!

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • NAIS

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

P.O. Box 430