No rating

St. Luke Catholic School

Private | PK-8 | 221 students

Rigorous academic program in the Catholic tradition.

Student diversity

Living in McLean

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $817,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,645.

Posted January 25, 2012

We are not coming back to St. Luke next year. I am not a self-entitled mom who was trying to run the school, but an average parent who puts in the minimum volunteer hours. If everything is great, then the previous poster should host a meeting for all the parents who are happy with the school and see if you get more than 50% attendance like last night's meeting. I am concerned because I see drastic changes being made at the school that have a direct and negative impact on my children. After reading the PTO meeting minutes, I can trace every negative change in the school directly to the new principal or new pastor. As an example, the reading program was halted with no notice to the parents. A reading committee was to be formed by the principal for finding a replacement program. According to the PTO, no committee has been formed even though they repeatedly ask him about it. My children went from checking out a book every week (and more importantly, reading each book) to rarely reading their library books. We love the parents and teachers at the school, but I refuse to wait and see how this all shakes out when my children's future is in question. We can get better elsewhere.

Posted January 24, 2012

I am responding to the previous misinformed poster with the truth. The grievances at this school became so numerous as were the amount of concerned parents that it required an off campus meeting with a professional mediator tonight. Over 50% of the parents attended. The purpose of this "parents only" meeting was to discuss the issues at hand and to come up with proposed solutions for the administration. It was a successful, well run meeting and will hopefully contribute to the restoration of harmony.

Posted January 24, 2012

I have been at this school for many years and have been very involved in participating my time and efforts in helping this school succeed for the sake of not only my children but of all the children. As a member of the "long time families" I have personally experienced the inablity of the "new" administration to adequately govern this school. There are safety, communication, and integrity issues just to name a few. Now that my children are being directly affected by the incompetence of the management, I will participate in restoring Saint Lukes back to exceptional school it once was last year. We are a strong community that cares how our children are being nurtured academically and spritually which is the foundation of who they will become.

Posted January 13, 2012

Since August when a new administration took over the integrity of the school has been compromised. The reputation our school is building is one of such: 1. no overall vision for the school; 2. Low morale 3. inability to put in place and maintain academic programs; 4. Administration does not build relationships with the children or community at large 5. There is often not an administrative presence in the school 6. There is no productive communication 7. There are lots of yes conversations but no action. Saint Luke School needs leadership that can breathe life back into our classrooms and community.

Posted January 7, 2012

Our family has been a part of Saint Luke School for many years. Until recently this has been an overwhelmingly positive school to raise your children. St. Luke has always been our home away from home with dedicated staff, friendly families, and amazing community. It had a supportive it takes a village to raise a child vibe. Fairfax County public schools are great schools so I at least don t send my children to SLS for academics alone I send them there for the community. Unfortunately that old St. Luke, that many worked hard to build up to be the phenomenal school it was, has been destroyed in 4 months time. We were assigned a new principal by our also newly appointed pastor. Our new principal hails from Thea Bowman charter school in Washington DC. Don t bother going there or looking it up because it has been shut down (but there are many blogs written about it, so Google it). Despite my better judgment I gave him the benefit of the doubt and listened as he said those complaints against himself were from one aggravated parent who was posing as many. BIG mistake on my part!

Posted November 29, 2010

I am currently attending middle school at St. Lukes. Everyone here is so friendly, including the teachers. I used to go to Our Lady of Good Counsel, but of course had to move and transfer. I am glad that I did transfer because the minute I stepped into the classroom everybody, including the boys, greeted me kindly and played with me at recess. It made me feel at home! I had the best first day I could ever wish for and the teachers were great! My homeroom teacher is also very fun, she breaks everything down for you so you can understand it better. Although we do not have some rooms other schools have, this school is VERY cozy. Its been here for 50 years and there are lots of legacies here. In my old school, I barely had any friends. Even in elementary school there were cliques! I never fit in and the only friend I had were my older brother's. St. Luke School offers a variety of activities, for instance, when I was in 3rd grade my classmates and I were on 'Good Morning, America!' for All Saints Day. If your child does not like being on TV it's perfectly understandable because you will always have a choice. The staff is truly WONDERFUL! Consider St. Lukes!

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Arabic languages
French
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

Arts & music

• Arts (all)
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (703) 356-1141

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Differentiated instruction

• Science
  • Service learning
  • Social justice
  • Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

Media arts
  • Computer animation
  • Graphics

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Boy scouts
  • Cub scouts
  • Girl scouts
  • National Honor Society

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis