McLean, VA

St. Luke Catholic School 1

Posted October 18, 2014
We were disappointed in St. Luke based on our children's experience with: behavior of some teachers (yelling), lack of fairness (some students given extra help by teachers or were prompted to go back & correct answers on tests but my child couldn't ask a question about the test), poor planning for teacher absences (non-educational movies shown during absent teacher's class time repeatedly because there was no plan in place), & lack of communication/ attentiveness by staff (issues not adequately addressed). Many people who left St. Luke told us their kids were behind when they entered new schools (public and private). We left & our kids who had received As and Bs at St. Luke, were behind at their new schools. We learned from our children that some of the teachers at St. Luke would allow students to finish timed tests after the time ran out. We learned that if many of the kids did poorly on a test, some of the teachers at St. Luke would have the class re-take the test. Our kids had to adjust to new standards & are now thriving at their new schools & we feel they are better served & won't have to catch up in high school. Academics and teacher quality are important to our family.

Posted July 29, 2014
We have three children at St. Luke's and I have to say the school is simply incredible. The strong sense of community and involvement that others talk about is truly amazing. I remember when switching schools, we were struggling with where to send our oldest. But I have to say, hands-down, this was the right choice. In terms of the prior post, I'm not sure why they think the school has a hard time recruiting and keeping good teachers. I don't see this anymore of a problem then at any other school. One thing that I have enjoyed about St. Luke is that you can go in and meet with the teachers at any time. Ultimately, the choice between public and private is a personal choice. But I can tell you that St. Luke offers a very caring environment with high parent involvement. The academics seem to be on par with other institutions. The mark of success in all of this is that at the end of the day -- our children come home happy and look forward to going to school.

St. Luke Catholic School 1

Posted June 14, 2014
This school seems to have a hard time recruiting and keeping good, skilled teachers. Several good teachers are leaving this year. One teacher would not send our child's work home and we did not know what our child was learning. Our child said they often watched videos in this class and we feel this is lazy teaching. Public schools in the area have more to offer for students of all skill levels. St. Luke is small and does not have the resources that nearby schools have. We are disappointed and are leaving.

Posted January 05, 2014
Saint Luke's is the type of school that every parent wants their child to attend. Excellent academics in a warm an nurturing environment. They really know the children so the approach is highly individualized. The sense of community among students, parents, faculty and staff is not comparable. I have had my children in FCPS, which are excellent, but Saint Luke's out matches the experience at every level. Then on top of all the comparable points my children are being educated in a beautiful, faith centered environment. I could not imagine a better school.

St. Luke Catholic School 4

Posted October 11, 2013
The big upside for the school is the community aspect. The public schools put enough pressure so that they maintain acceptable academic rigor, but they absolutely focus on the whole child. Every teacher knows every kid...it's nice. It's family. The biggest negative is that they struggle with those outside the norm...both the gifted and those requiring remedial instruction. Pushing the school to provide meaningful enrichment is a constant struggle. Grades 6-8 are the best academically. Although the grade 1 teacher is honestly the best in the land.

Posted September 16, 2013
The community of parent volunteers and the great teachers who communicate often and know each child individually is what I love about this school. Our children thrive and they leave very well-prepared for high school and beyond. We love Saint Luke - the community, the education, the emphasis on kindness and the spirituality.

Posted February 11, 2013
Great school. Great Teachers. Great Families. Great Environment. Our kids are thriving and happy! School and teachers communicate extensively and welcome parent participation.

Posted October 10, 2012
My son is in middle school at St. Luke and the teachers are really impressive. I feel that he will be prepared for higher level coursework in the core studies in high school. The new principal has infused the school with a very positive learning environment, the teachers are really happy to teach the kids, the parents are friendly and cooperative.

Posted October 02, 2012
I can't say enough good things about St. Luke. After experiences with public schools and other private schools in the area, this one beats them all hands down! The teachers are amazing and unbelievably well qualified. My sons are learning by leaps and bounds. The best part is that they love school. I am also impressed by how kind the kids are to each other. The kids themselves don't tolerate bullying which is nice.

Posted September 20, 2012
Wow, what a comeback! New leadership as of summer of 2012. The school is united again, strong and looking forward. The happiness and kindness are contagious and my kids skip their way into class. *sigh* happy parent again. You give peace to parents, St Luke.

St. Luke Catholic School
7005 Georgetown Pike, McLean, VA  22101
Last modified St. Luke Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St. Luke Catholic School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top