Cooper Middle School 2

Posted June 19, 2014
There are some good administrators and teachers at this school but overall the standards are very low. Subjects like Science, History and Music are taught by caring and engaged teachers. The Art teacher is self absorbed, petty, and simply should not be a teacher. English grammar is not focused on in the English "Department", and that is very clear by the quality of the student presentations. Math, like English, is poorly taught and expectations are very low. Even the Librarian clearly does not want to be around children. My child transferred from a poorly performing school district and my expectations were very high, we could have stayed where we were and received, in many ways, a better education. Academically the school is a great disappointment. On the plus side the kids are generally nice, I feel that my child is safe and will not be bullied.

Posted March 28, 2012
My daughter has had a great experience at Cooper. The students, teachers and administrators create a supportive environment in which a child can thrive. The curriculum is challenging and engaging - and the teachers are highly motivated to teach and support the students. Thank you to the Cooper community - -keep up the great work!

Cooper Middle School 1

Posted June 16, 2011
I found this review dated Feb 2005 and could not agree more with this parent. Our child just completed 8th grade and so glad to be out of this school. There are some excellent teachers at the school, its just not the majority of the teachers. This school is filled with bureaucrats who dislike children, they are rude, immature, and irresponsible administrators. This school should be audited and the staff relieved of further responsibility. They intimidate students and parents utilizing dictatorial beureaucratic policy and proceedural arguements. They are skilled at deflating the confidence of children and are intollerate of parental rights. They do not respond to emails or parental concerns except to dictate their own position. They are non-negotiable and non-cooperative and most unpleasant.

Cooper Middle School 4

Posted June 14, 2011
Things I like about Cooper Middle School: 1) if you reach out to the teachers with a concern, they are very responsive. 2) The frequent emailed progress reports. It makes it much easier to keep track of how your daughter/son is doing at school. 3) The curriculum is challenging, whether you are an advanced student or not. 4) The band program is comprehensive and successful. Things I don't like about Cooper Middle School: 1) "My house is bigger than your house." I know it's endemic in schools with a lot of rich kids, but since when have we quit teaching our kids that it is in poor taste to brag about how much money you have? 2) Like most bigger schools, you must be ever-vigilant and an advocate for your child if they are struggling. 3) No school sports. 4) The crazy-long bus ride down Georgetown Pike if you don't live in McLean.

Posted April 04, 2011
I'm currently a student at Cooper and it is a grat school with amazing after school activities.

Posted December 29, 2010
Teachers are great and the school provides lot of opportunities for both academic and extra-curricular activities. Their focus in theater, PE is very good.

Cooper Middle School 4

Posted September 17, 2010
I currently go to Cooper and I like it a lot :) I Just find that my math teacher is kind of crazy...

Cooper Middle School 2

Posted May 24, 2010
Cooper School is not always the best choice for your kids - particularly if they are boys. I think every parent I have spoken to that has boys has a story to tell about a bad experience their son has had. Some of the administrators were good, some not. Our experience is that girls are overwhelmingly favored. Not a good situation for your son. I did notice that they have new male VP's. Hopefully that's been a good move. Cliques start early in McLean -- many form by 4th grade. This is a very cliquish school. That can be hard for some kids.

Posted April 07, 2010

Posted July 01, 2009

Cooper Middle School
977 Balls Hill Rd, Mclean, VA  22101
Last modified Cooper Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Cooper Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top