Langley High School

Public | 9-12 | 2033 students

Student diversity

Posted April 29, 2010

I am a sophomore at Langley High School. Though yes, it is a great school academically, and students perform well on tests, and a number of AP and honors classes are offered, for me the social climate has completely ruined it for me. The wealth of the majority of the kids that go here is astounding, and getting dressed for school everyday feels like I'm getting ready for a fashion show...and I'm embarassed to admit that my 'Prada' purse is a $20 knockoff from NYC. Not only that, but the competition to get into college is ridiculous as well...and even starting in freshman year the pressure to drink and do drugs is very heavy. If you are weak in self confidence or are insecure, you WILL sink at this school.

Posted March 4, 2010

Going to Langley has bee a great experience so far as a freshman. Alot of people on here complin of cliques being snobbish and exclusive, but thats only a few of the people. You don't have to look far for friends If you join a sport then you've automatically made friends. The teachers are great too, although we do get ALOT of homework.

Posted February 23, 2010

My 3 kids all go to LHS. The big thing here is the brutal competition for the top VA public universities. Especially from fob south korean kids. Some classes, such as AP calculus BC and philharmonic orchestra have a korean majority! For everyone else, if you're a B student and willing to bust your chops in AP humanities from grade 10 on, you'll do OK and get into decent colleges. If you're a C student, you'll still get 1800 on the SAT but you won't look good to colleges compared to your graduating class. You're better off at another school. If you're an artist or musician, you'll find your niche and be reasonably happy. Jocks on the other hand don't seem to fare as well.

Posted February 16, 2010

I am a junior at LHS. Laying it bare the school is great academically and terrible socially. Cliques dominate: if you don't belong to one you might as well resign yourself to a permanent library residence during lunch. If you don't belong to a popular one, get ready for bullying. Still, there are many ways to have fun once you find your niche. I really enjoy the academic side of LHS. The teachers are dedicated and want to see students excel. I recommend the AP/Honors track - it's where the motivated students end up (not that there's anything bad with not being in honors or AP classes). The language program is excellent. It offers French, Spanish, German, Russian, and Japanese. The humanities department is phenomenal. The Sciences: you win some you lose some. Math: I've had mostly positive experiences. It's tough to adjust to. Above all, a cheery attitude is important.

Posted November 9, 2009

I'm currently a senior at Langley. My opinion of Langley has changed a lot since I was a freshman, but that could be because I have matured a great deal. It's known that this school will prep you well for college. But as for the social part, pretty much everything is based upon materialism. Sometimes I am ashamed to go to school with these kids....because they've been spoiled their entire lives and will be fast to judge. If I could redo high school, I would have loved to have gone to Oakton or Southlakes...I'm not much into the 'showing off your wealth' kinda thing.

Posted April 28, 2009

The principal claims he cares about the 'middle child' - the child who is not a straight A student, but the one who is a B/C student. Don't believe it. Nothing that my child's teachers have done this year have pointed to them caring about my child's achievement! Seriously, there are much better schools in Fairfax County. Don't feel that you have to live in the Langley District. High test scores do not always mean a good school. Look below the surface!

Posted December 14, 2008

I absolutely loved Langley the entire time I was there, and now that I am in college I realize even more how excellent it really was. I feel as if I am way more prepared for college than students I meet from other schools, and I owe this to the outstanding teachers from Langley. Every high school has cliques. Every high school has snobby people. I felt so incredibly comfortable at Langley the entire time I was there. I wouldn't change a thing about my high school experience, and I am so glad my parents didn't send me to private school. And for kids who have trouble making friends because of 'cliques,' just get involved, join something. There are so many things to do and so many great people to meet.

Posted November 16, 2008

i'm a sophmore at langley and i absolutley love it, the school has so much to offer ranging from clubs, honor societies, althelics, theatre, and music. I'm very happy with the mahority of my teachers, and all of my teachers are always willing to help outside of class. I take AP world history and i feel challenged but it is very good class. I would highly recomend langley to anybody

Posted May 10, 2008

My son is a freshman at Langley. Firstly, I appreciate there are no gangs here. Safety is always my first priority, and I appreciate the fact that I never worry about my son s safety at school. Presently, he takes HNAlgebra2, HNEnglish9, Pre-APHistory, HNBiology, and Spanish2. However, I need to say that the focus on his education so far has not been learning or thinking skills, rather his education has been geared for test taking and the SOL s. His classes are overcrowded and do not focus at all on the individuals. His teachers have virtually ignored my son this entire year. I find it difficult to understand why the McLean/Great Falls community, which has wealth and community interest, has not initiated more fundraisers to reduce class sizes and pay for better teachers. In conclusion, my daughter, with the same academic abilities as my son, will not attend this school next year.

Posted March 26, 2008

As a current freshman at Langley i thought it is only fair to address the horrible way that some people are treated. Sure, we have great tests scores, but that does not make a school great. All you have to do is spend one day there and I can assure you that you will be shocked by the the cliques and attitudes of some of the students. A majority of the girls at Langley basically reject anyone who isn't perfect or rich. Its kind of ridiculous. And to tell you the truth, i'm over it. Because of some social issues that many students face I am going to a private school next year. Words can not describe how excited I am to get away from this horrible school.

Posted February 8, 2008

My son is a senior. He has been accepted to two great colleges already. Langley has its good and bad, just like any, yes, it is among the wealthiest area but I have to say my son`s friends were very well behaved, well mannered and very smart. I did hear all the bad things about Langley before my son went there, infact I was even thinking about sending him to another school but I am glad I did not let all the stories about drugs and drinking swayed me. Drugs is every where. Parents have to be aware of what their kids are up too, who they hang out with, it is not up to the school to babysit and monitor your kids. Langley did their job with great opportunities for the kids who want to strive, if you are a problem kid you will find problem in any school

Posted January 16, 2008

The schools zip codes are among the wealthiest in the country.This reflected in the material possessions of the students, attitude. Little diversity in color. Clicks. Excellent education.

Posted December 2, 2007

Langley high school is a school of oppritunities. Students can persue whatever they desire, including arts, science, math, english, music, history, languages, fashion, and so much more. The school does have cliques, but they are nowhere as bad as previous posters are making it appear. The best way to meet people is in after school activities or programs like orchestra, band or chorus. Some of the 'cliques' do involve drugs and/or alcohol, but again, the problem can easily be avoided... peer pressure is more of an excuse than a real issue. Students with minor learning dissabilities have to fight for accommodations for about a month, but will eventually recieve whatever they need. Students with major physical or learning disabilities are comletely supported by the school. Classes can be as hard or easy as necessary. The school is being rennovated so all 'mold' issues are nullified.

Posted August 28, 2007

I went to Langley and it was a great experience....

Posted April 23, 2007

My children are outstanding kids, and have had to deal with a lot of problems from this school. Langley is a very tough academic school, in which each and every teacher views their class as the most important one, and assigns a heavy load of homework that reflects it. Most of the students have parents who are checked out, and don't pay attention to what their children participate in. I even pulled my son out of football do to the heavy partying that takes place, and the immense pressure to participate in it.

Posted January 25, 2006

I recently graduated Langley High, and I treasure my experience there. Now in college, I realize that Langley offered many more diverse classes(APs) than other schools in the country. Like most high school experiences, there are cliques, though the word tends to have a negative conotation. I found my own niche, and I was able to excel in academics, extracurriculars, and sports because there were so many options. To maximize all Langley has to offer, the student must remember to hang out with a good group of kids and get involved in school activities. Langley High School produces many strong, all-american students. It is definitely one of the finest public high schools in the nation.

Posted December 28, 2005

Currently I am a senior at Langley. I'd like to state from an insider's veiw that many of the negitive and positive things are true. There is mold on the walls and the school is falling apart. Academics come first in this school, and much minipulation and pressure is put on the students to perform. If you have learning problems, you are a problem. Langley has its good and bad teachers, dont belive the myths. Overachevivers are plenty in this school, and they are showered with attention. If you see between the cracks there is previlent drug use, drinking, and sexual promescuity around the school. Also the temprature of the rooms varries greatly and really really cold and rrrealy really warm. It is an academia school and will prepare your child for college. Langley is what it is nothing more and nothing less. -Liz

Posted October 27, 2005

As a Langley alum, I have mixed feelings about the school. Langley is great for the driven student. It's competitive to the point of being cut throat in every department. However, in saying this, more sensitive, less driven kids will be overwhelmed and unhappy. Also, if your child has learning problems or doesn't get good grades, they are definatly a second priority to the faculty. But Langley, though it's not titled as such, is a college prepatory school. Any child who goes here will be prepared to face college. My freshman year of college, people in my english class were having problems writing 5 page papers. I'd already written 15 page papers in high school. Langley is not for everyone, but it is a fine school for those who can handle it.

Posted September 26, 2005

Hey, I'm a Junior this year for Langley HighSchool. I transferred for my sophmore year from Oakton and was thrown into a completely new environment that I had absolutely no friends in. I love the orchestra teacher, Doctor McCormick, he's the teacher who's shown me the friendlier side of the school. The school felt clique'd up though, and very stuck up with rich people. I felt like a random red dot in the middle of all whites and it was really weird. But getting through the school year, and starting this Junior year, I'm really beginning to see the cooperation and the effort each and everyone at the school really puts in. This school is absolutely, undeniably, great.

Posted July 17, 2005

As a parent who had their child at Langley I say it is outstanding in every way. Around the country, the other schools we have been in do not even compare. The Administration, particlarly the Princiapl, is first class, the counselors attentive, and the teachers are experts in their fields. Personally, mine was happiest in the orchestra and the language programs. There were so many opportunites for excellence there. Also the history and english teachers were exceptional. The parents of children at Langley combine to make it an A-list school.

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 76% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 76% in 2013.

498 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 83% in 2013.

483 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 86% in 2013.

508 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 83% in 2013.

113 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 89% in 2013.

508 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 87% in 2013.

515 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 76% in 2013.

402 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 59% in 2013.

Virginia and United States History

The state average for Virginia and United States History was 86% in 2013.

473 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 85% in 2013.

World History I

The state average for World History I was 84% in 2013.

468 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History II

The state average for World History II was 85% in 2013.

527 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) End-of-Course tests to assess students in reading, writing, math, science and history/social science subjects at the end of each course, regardless of the student's grade level. The SOL End-of-Course tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. High school students must pass at least six SOL End-of-Course tests to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Algebra I

Students identified as economically disadvantaged100%
Students with disabilities84%
Limited English proficient students100%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Italian
  • Japanese
  • Russian
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

Performing arts
  • Dance
  • Drama
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

6520 Georgetown Pike