Langley High School

Public | 9-12 | 1962 students

Student diversity

Sweep tile

Posted November 16, 2008

i'm a sophmore at langley and i absolutley love it, the school has so much to offer ranging from clubs, honor societies, althelics, theatre, and music. I'm very happy with the mahority of my teachers, and all of my teachers are always willing to help outside of class. I take AP world history and i feel challenged but it is very good class. I would highly recomend langley to anybody

Posted May 10, 2008

My son is a freshman at Langley. Firstly, I appreciate there are no gangs here. Safety is always my first priority, and I appreciate the fact that I never worry about my son s safety at school. Presently, he takes HNAlgebra2, HNEnglish9, Pre-APHistory, HNBiology, and Spanish2. However, I need to say that the focus on his education so far has not been learning or thinking skills, rather his education has been geared for test taking and the SOL s. His classes are overcrowded and do not focus at all on the individuals. His teachers have virtually ignored my son this entire year. I find it difficult to understand why the McLean/Great Falls community, which has wealth and community interest, has not initiated more fundraisers to reduce class sizes and pay for better teachers. In conclusion, my daughter, with the same academic abilities as my son, will not attend this school next year.

Posted March 26, 2008

As a current freshman at Langley i thought it is only fair to address the horrible way that some people are treated. Sure, we have great tests scores, but that does not make a school great. All you have to do is spend one day there and I can assure you that you will be shocked by the the cliques and attitudes of some of the students. A majority of the girls at Langley basically reject anyone who isn't perfect or rich. Its kind of ridiculous. And to tell you the truth, i'm over it. Because of some social issues that many students face I am going to a private school next year. Words can not describe how excited I am to get away from this horrible school.

Posted February 8, 2008

My son is a senior. He has been accepted to two great colleges already. Langley has its good and bad, just like any, yes, it is among the wealthiest area but I have to say my son`s friends were very well behaved, well mannered and very smart. I did hear all the bad things about Langley before my son went there, infact I was even thinking about sending him to another school but I am glad I did not let all the stories about drugs and drinking swayed me. Drugs is every where. Parents have to be aware of what their kids are up too, who they hang out with, it is not up to the school to babysit and monitor your kids. Langley did their job with great opportunities for the kids who want to strive, if you are a problem kid you will find problem in any school

Posted January 16, 2008

The schools zip codes are among the wealthiest in the country.This reflected in the material possessions of the students, attitude. Little diversity in color. Clicks. Excellent education.

Posted December 2, 2007

Langley high school is a school of oppritunities. Students can persue whatever they desire, including arts, science, math, english, music, history, languages, fashion, and so much more. The school does have cliques, but they are nowhere as bad as previous posters are making it appear. The best way to meet people is in after school activities or programs like orchestra, band or chorus. Some of the 'cliques' do involve drugs and/or alcohol, but again, the problem can easily be avoided... peer pressure is more of an excuse than a real issue. Students with minor learning dissabilities have to fight for accommodations for about a month, but will eventually recieve whatever they need. Students with major physical or learning disabilities are comletely supported by the school. Classes can be as hard or easy as necessary. The school is being rennovated so all 'mold' issues are nullified.

Posted August 28, 2007

I went to Langley and it was a great experience....

Posted April 23, 2007

My children are outstanding kids, and have had to deal with a lot of problems from this school. Langley is a very tough academic school, in which each and every teacher views their class as the most important one, and assigns a heavy load of homework that reflects it. Most of the students have parents who are checked out, and don't pay attention to what their children participate in. I even pulled my son out of football do to the heavy partying that takes place, and the immense pressure to participate in it.

Posted January 25, 2006

I recently graduated Langley High, and I treasure my experience there. Now in college, I realize that Langley offered many more diverse classes(APs) than other schools in the country. Like most high school experiences, there are cliques, though the word tends to have a negative conotation. I found my own niche, and I was able to excel in academics, extracurriculars, and sports because there were so many options. To maximize all Langley has to offer, the student must remember to hang out with a good group of kids and get involved in school activities. Langley High School produces many strong, all-american students. It is definitely one of the finest public high schools in the nation.

Posted December 28, 2005

Currently I am a senior at Langley. I'd like to state from an insider's veiw that many of the negitive and positive things are true. There is mold on the walls and the school is falling apart. Academics come first in this school, and much minipulation and pressure is put on the students to perform. If you have learning problems, you are a problem. Langley has its good and bad teachers, dont belive the myths. Overachevivers are plenty in this school, and they are showered with attention. If you see between the cracks there is previlent drug use, drinking, and sexual promescuity around the school. Also the temprature of the rooms varries greatly and really really cold and rrrealy really warm. It is an academia school and will prepare your child for college. Langley is what it is nothing more and nothing less. -Liz

Posted October 27, 2005

As a Langley alum, I have mixed feelings about the school. Langley is great for the driven student. It's competitive to the point of being cut throat in every department. However, in saying this, more sensitive, less driven kids will be overwhelmed and unhappy. Also, if your child has learning problems or doesn't get good grades, they are definatly a second priority to the faculty. But Langley, though it's not titled as such, is a college prepatory school. Any child who goes here will be prepared to face college. My freshman year of college, people in my english class were having problems writing 5 page papers. I'd already written 15 page papers in high school. Langley is not for everyone, but it is a fine school for those who can handle it.

Posted September 26, 2005

Hey, I'm a Junior this year for Langley HighSchool. I transferred for my sophmore year from Oakton and was thrown into a completely new environment that I had absolutely no friends in. I love the orchestra teacher, Doctor McCormick, he's the teacher who's shown me the friendlier side of the school. The school felt clique'd up though, and very stuck up with rich people. I felt like a random red dot in the middle of all whites and it was really weird. But getting through the school year, and starting this Junior year, I'm really beginning to see the cooperation and the effort each and everyone at the school really puts in. This school is absolutely, undeniably, great.

Posted July 17, 2005

As a parent who had their child at Langley I say it is outstanding in every way. Around the country, the other schools we have been in do not even compare. The Administration, particlarly the Princiapl, is first class, the counselors attentive, and the teachers are experts in their fields. Personally, mine was happiest in the orchestra and the language programs. There were so many opportunites for excellence there. Also the history and english teachers were exceptional. The parents of children at Langley combine to make it an A-list school.

Posted June 8, 2005

My son is a sophmore at Langley HS. He has been very happy and has found the CC team to be his nitch. His grades have not been as exciting. The Public school experience is what you make it. There is no hand holding. It is government at it's 'finest'. As far as a public institution, it runs at its maximum. It cranks out excellent test scores - at the expense of everything else. The Principal, School Board and teachers have their agenda and the students fall into that.

Posted May 9, 2005

As a student for the past four years, I have noticed a number of things-good and bad-but still come to the same conclusion: this school is academically and socially a great experience for those who are confident. While the socio-economic role does have a large impact on the stresses of the student body, the pressure originates more so from the parents in the home. Secondly, while it would appear that the expensive lifestyle of the surrounding neighborhood is not reflected in the 'look' of the school, one must remember the school is forty years old and, other than taxes, people cannot contribute monetarily to the education of a public school. Safety-wise, Langley is top-notch, going so far as to hire their own security to insure the well being of its student body. Teachers are exceptional, mainly because they want to come to teach students that want to learn. Preconcieved notions are mostly false.

Posted May 5, 2005

I am a sophmore at langley high school this year, and some of the comments given on this site have surprised me. Many of the parents talked about their children being teased or not accepted into a group of friends. I have found that most people that go to the school are very friendly, and it just depends on where you look to make friends. Joining the track team really helped me to make many friends, allong with many of the clubs i have been involved with. Although the work load is extremely high and difficult, i have found most teachers to be helpful and receptive to student problems. As far as i know there is NOT mold on the walls...however there is sometimes a lack of toilet paper.

Posted February 10, 2005

I'm currently a Junior at LHS, and I would recommend this school to prospective students. There are tons of AP and Honors courses available to challenge students and provide the exposure to college level work that is so beneficial in the long run of our education. It is a safe, although emotionally tumultuous environment. There are almost never any physical fights and little to no gang activity The stress level is high, mainly due to overly-demanding parents who expect their children to live up to their standards (aka multi-million dollar houses). In the end, taking advantage of the good classes, dozens of clubs and sports, and other well-organized and funded programs at Langley is up to the student. If a student is motivated and has strong confidence to resist peer pressure to do drugs, Langley is an excellent environment to grow and learn.

Posted January 24, 2005

As a LHS grad, I feel these reviews are overly emotional and are from the parents perspective instead of the students . I was a B student and used private tutoring to my advantage when I had difficulties. I was a cheerleader, active in extracurricular clubs, volunteering, and hung with the in-crowd.' But that doesn't mean I was never picked on. Private tutoring wasn t paid by my parents as an excuse to go partying at night instead of doing my work. I feel like it s important to remember that high school is high school. There will always be cliques, bullies, psycho teachers, crazed parents, slackers, and those who excel. As awful is it is, that is the high school experience, not the Langley experience. Langley challenged me, frustrated me, pushed me and I am so thankful that I had LHS experiences, good and bad during my first year at college.

Posted January 6, 2005

My child hated this school. I do not suggest parents send their kids here unless it is a last resort. The kids were not accepting to my child. The teaching was awful. The school is extremely dirty and nasty. There is mold on the walls. I had been told that my child would get a superb education here, yet, I find that VERY hard to believe.

Posted January 1, 2005

I have been reading these rants and raves about Langley. I just have to laugh. 'I moved to loudon county to protect my children' lets stop right here and ask this parents. Are you alway going to moved your kids when life gets tough. Why not stay and attemp to solve the problem if there is one. Thats just one example of rediculous parenting. My only rant about Langley is the Athletic Department.

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 76% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 76% in 2013.

498 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 83% in 2013.

483 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 86% in 2013.

508 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 83% in 2013.

113 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 89% in 2013.

508 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 87% in 2013.

515 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 76% in 2013.

402 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 59% in 2013.

Virginia and United States History

The state average for Virginia and United States History was 86% in 2013.

473 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 85% in 2013.

World History I

The state average for World History I was 84% in 2013.

468 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History II

The state average for World History II was 85% in 2013.

527 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) End-of-Course tests to assess students in reading, writing, math, science and history/social science subjects at the end of each course, regardless of the student's grade level. The SOL End-of-Course tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. High school students must pass at least six SOL End-of-Course tests to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Algebra I

Students identified as economically disadvantaged100%
Students with disabilities84%
Limited English proficient students100%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Italian
  • Japanese
  • Russian
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

Performing arts
  • Dance
  • Drama
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

6520 Georgetown Pike