Mclean, VA
Students enrolled: 2,033

Posted December 20, 2014
I want to start off by saying that I had high hopes for Langley and I have been thoroughly disappointed. Teachers have very obvious biases while grading. They often ignore the students who are not at the top academically. It is very hard to come from a normal place where parents make five figure salaries and have friends from middle-class or lower-income families and adjust to a place where people have no value for money. I will admit that this school prepares you will for college. However, I feel you can get the same training at other schools like South Lakes or Annandale as long as you take more AP or honors courses. You will likely also be able to indulge in an environment with much more diversity than Langley. Cliques are ubiquitous and is something that many of my friends have had to deal with. The students who write 5 star reviews are all likely part of the cliques at Langley that everyone knows about. All I have left to say is that I am glad to be leaving this school after this year.

Posted December 08, 2014
I am in 2015 graduating class. If your mom is not part of the in crowd, you will not be selected. This school has cliques all over from parents to teachers to coaches to kids. A regular kid will never fit in. Certain students parents became friends with teachers and there was clear biases for grades, etc. I don't recommend this school to anyone who wants their child to learn about values. This school sucks for the average kid.

Langley High School 5

Posted November 15, 2014
When it comes to those who gave this school a 1 star review, I can't understand if you even attended the school . While some of these points are valid, Langley is no different than any other high school in this country. That is to say, its merely an opportunity. It just so happens that the standards for "greatness" are much higher here than any other school. If you sit around an don't put your best effort, its clear that you will get what you deserve. I feel sorry for students who feel "entitled" to an education like a chicken dinner on a silver platter. This is PUBLIC education. No one is going to push you harder than yourself. If you want to be average and feel good, go to a private school. Frankly, as a class of 2014 grad, I feel blessed to have attended a school that gave me a chance to push myself harder than before. One can't learn and push themselves if they are being held back by the system. Langley eliminates that barrier. In this environment, you have the chance to push yourself to the limit. Unfortunately, those that sit around and blame teachers/instructors for their lack of success need to wake up and smell the reality. If you don't want it, you won't get it. Grow up

Posted September 11, 2014
School is going through a renovation. Renovation is late and behind schedule. AC in school is blasting cold on one side, hot on other side, and filled with moldy smell. Bunch of trailers on parking lot. Same problem in trailers, hot or cold, no room for coats when it rains. Bathrooms are falling apart. Really sucks to have to go to this school this year.

Langley High School 4

Posted August 28, 2014
I am a male student here who comes from a regular middle class home. I am not popular but am able to find friends and "my people" because it is a large school (2,000+).A lot of the reviews up here are somewhat bogus. I have never seen a student get harassed because of their family's financial situation. Yeah a lot of people have money and there is a group of country club dwelling snobs, but for the most part as long as you are positive and treat peers and teachers with respect it will be fine. Yes, there are kids here that care about things besides themselves, money and clothes. It helps to play a sport but there are many other activities that are welcome to all you just have to have courage to show up. I think the school is very culturally diverse we don't have a lot of black kids but their are kids and family from all over the world and I hear different languages in the halls all the time. Academics are rough and there is a lot of pressure, but if you can make it at Langley you will be able to deal with all kind of people and scenarios.

Posted June 04, 2014
Langley consists of kids who think they are entitled and don't interact outside their cliques. Take the example of the person who gave a five star review below my review. She basically put down those who gave Langley a one star review. It is likely that she is one of the kids in the "inner circle." So while Langley might be good for her, it is not good for the average kid who works hard but is not exactly at the top of the class. Every kid at this school believes he or she is the best. Life is not like that. People are not able to interact with people of all levels and races. The house prices in the area ensure that the kids going to Langley are really wealthy. There is no cultural diversity. Life does not revolve around wealthy people. While Langley academics are really tough, its tough to break in socially. This school is for the wealthy and brilliant. If you belong in that category, Langley would good. But if you are smart (not brilliant) and work hard and try and talk to people but are not ridiculously social (which is how most high school are), then don't go to Langley. Going to this school also makes it tough to get in a good college if you are a regular student.

Langley High School 5

Posted May 28, 2014
Langley is awesome. School spirit is great, unless you are one of the kids who wants to protest all of the school spirit because you hate the people leading the school, which is pretty much all of the people giving it negative reviews. People go wild at the big football and basketball games and for any sports against McLean, the rival school, and the kids in leadership work extremely hard to make the pep rallies and spirit weeks and everything else to do with spirit enjoyable for all of the school. There's a lot of stress in academics, but it prepares you well for college so no one should be complaining. All the sports teams are good and the school produces athletic and academic prodigies each year. I go here and I don't think it gets much better as far as public schools go. Yeah there are cliques and all that but that's because it is a HIGH SCHOOL so that is no reason to hate it.

Posted May 22, 2014
Kids getting the good test scores are doing it despite the school not because of the school. There are some excellent, some awful and some so-so teachers like most public schools. The administration hates parents. Students learn on their own with mountains of tedious homework so that lousy teachers can get the same results as good teachers. If your child has a disability, get sick, is bullied or any other thing goes wrong and you need to work with the administration I suggest you hire a tough as nails advocate or lawyer. Pros? The orchestra, choir and theater programs are led by a couple of the excellent teachers and filled with some of the most thoughtful, hardworking and caring students in the school. Some of the sports programs are great while others have a heavy drinking culture. Parents do a lot for the school and I give the parents 5 stars for involvement the reason I have 3 stars is that parents are not made to feel welcome by administration. So disappointing.

Posted May 12, 2014
I graduated Langley in 2013. Let me start off by saying this. Langley is not the typical high school. It is made for the kids of extremely wealthy families who are in their own cliques. They drive mercedes benz and BMWs to school. Have you seen the size of the parking lot? It's as big as the whole school! Teachers for the most part can't teach although they are willing to stay after school. There is ZERO school spirit. There was absolutely nothing that made me want to stay at Langley. I was so happy when I left. So far, I've learned more in one year of college than I did in four years at Langley. I remember I basically had no social life at Langley. In college, my social life has drastically improved. All they care about are the kids who take 5 AP's and the athletes. The rest of us (people who aren't exceptionally smart but work hard) don't matter. If you are looking to learn and enjoy high school, don't go to Langley.

Posted April 22, 2014
I don't like this school one bit. There is no way the school can improve. Some tips for others is not to go to this school period. Your life will be miserable if you go to this school. I can't explain in words how bad I hate this school.

Langley High School
6520 Georgetown Pike, Mclean, VA  22101
Last modified Langley High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Langley High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 100 reviews. Top