Mechanicsville Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 660 students

Student diversity

Posted February 3, 2014

The office staff is not friendly and they do not acknowledge you when you walk in the door. I dread coming into the school, because I have to go into the office. Like said previously by other parents, I've stood there for several minutes before the staff asked if I needed help. THat's my only complaint.

Posted June 28, 2011

The teachers love my kids! The school is a great place to be. I am proud to have my family be a part of this community. I do wish the art, pe, and technology programs were stronger. Overall, it's a good place!

Posted April 28, 2010

The faculty and staff provide our children with an excellent education as well as life skills and lessons to ensure they are productive and successful in all future endeavors.

Posted October 7, 2009

I do not agree with the behavioral contract that they go by in kindergarten. My son is so focused on what color day that he has received, he can't remember anything that he has learned.

Posted June 6, 2009

MES offers small classes and high quality teachers. I have nothing but good things to say about the staff and administration at the school!

Posted May 26, 2009

I have to agree with several of the previous reviews. The office staff really are rude and don't care what kind of business you have there. I am NEVER greeted when I walk in and have stood there waiting several minutes before I was even noticed, in fact it was the gym coach that came in and helped me not the staff. I have a large gap between my 2 children and when Mrs. Meeks and Mr. Fudge were principals I never felt more welcomed in a school. You could tell that they cared and in turn their office staff cared. They took the time to greet each and every parent when exiting an assembly and initialed every report card. Since the new principal several years ago service and the warm welcomed feeling has long gone. The teachers and other staff are extreamly nice and I like them alot.

Posted June 12, 2008

I must first agree with one of the previous reviews.. administration is horrible, very rude, do not greet you promptly and could care less about your business at the school! But on the other had, the Teachers are wonderful. I have a K & 2nd grader and they love to go to school. I thought at first the curriculum was a bit overwhelming but I understand the challenge and because of that my kids have gained a wealth of knowledge.

Posted June 9, 2008

Teacher is the only saving grace of this school. Administrators can't wait to get your kid of an IEP and are very rude. All they care about is passing the SOL. They teach to the test and nothing else. Can't wait to relocate and have my 3rd grader get a quality education!

Posted July 31, 2007

I have a 1st and 5th grader that attends MES and I must say my first impression of this school was not that great but as the school year progressed I was amazed at how much my 5th grader grew a passion to learn more and my 1st grader was more willing to take on educational challenges that MES offered her, which boosted her confidence as well. I am very happy with their no bully tolerance policy, their online study programs that helps gives good testing practice, the teachers were very knowledgable about my kids progress; I often notified by email, note or call regarding any changing status. I would recommend MES to anyone. Thanks Ms. Petko and Ms. Tapper

Posted June 19, 2007

I have enjoyed the experience with my kids at MES. They love going there and like that the teachers are friendly, courteous and helpful. The teachers that I have worked with in the last 2 years have gone the extra mile to keep me informed with my children's progress. My only concern is the attentiveness of the office staff. I have on several occasions walked into the office with room full of staff and had to stand there for a while to get someone to speak to me. Sometimes I have actually had to interrupt personal conversations to get a question answered. Don't misunderstand I like the staff but they need to pay more attention to the visitors of the school. Academically the school is wonderful. parent participation is excellent. I would recommend the school to others.

Posted June 3, 2007

My daughter has been attending the school since 'k' she is now in 3rd. I have been extremely happy with this school and how wonderful & involved the teachers are. They really go above & beyond to call of duty.

Posted April 30, 2003

I have a student currently attending Mechanicsville elementry and she is in the first grade. I would like to say that I am very impressed with this school and it's high standards of education. My daughters teacher is great and is well qualified for her position. I have met with my daughters teacher on two occasions to find out how she thinks my daughter is doing and she showed us her work and keeps us informed on our daughters progress. If I was to be the teacher and was to grade this school I would give it the grade of A-. I have always had concerns with the half indoor and half outdoor class rooms. Not that things are not safe but people can and do walk right up to class rooms without going to the office first. In this school set up you are not forced to enter the office to get into the school. This is not a major concern but to me it is a little bit of a concern. My daughter loves her school and I can see that she enjoys going to school and that is always good. Thanks so much for this oppertunity to give my opinion and thanks for the great job you have done and are going to do to see that my daughter gets a great education. I have a son who will be starting at Mechanicsville elementry this coming year (2004) and I know he is going to the best education. Thanks Wayne

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 72% in 2013.

99 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 87% in 2012.

97 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 84% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests to assess students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, writing in grades 5 and 8, and science in grades in 3, 5 and 8. The SOL tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 70% in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 84% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 73% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 71% in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 89% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

All Students79%

Students with disabilities53%
Students without disabilities93%
Proficient in English85%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. Data is not reported when there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school.

All Students86%

Students with disabilities60%
Students without disabilities84%
Proficient in English81%

Source: Virginia Department of Education

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

• Dr. Amy Woodward

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

7425 Mechanicsville Elem Drive