Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Parent (1 response)

Mechanicsville Elementary School 3

Posted November 30, 2015
The majority of the staff listed in previous reviews are no longer employed at MES. Our family is new to the school this year and we're considering other options. The younger classrooms seem to be a bit disorganized. At any particular time (or visit) you'll find children just up and wandering the room. Teacher's seem to only care how many words are in a sentence verses if words are spelled correctly and/or used correctly. During our one and only teacher conference (they only do one at the beginning of the year) neither of our children's teacher's offered any comments about our children that didn't involve "what a test told them". In other words, it didn't seem like they knew anything about our children other than a test score. One of the teacher's sent a lot of mixed signals about our son's progress. It was just a confusing experience. There seems to be a disconnect between the administration and the educators. You can feel it walking around the building. My wife and I have noticed that most of the teacher's seem generally unhappy. It's the oddest thing! For the first several weeks of school, the place looked like a prison. No art work on the walls, no "here's what we're working on" papers on the walls. It was just odd. If you can choose where your child attends, I'd consider looking elsewhere. It's certainly not terrible or horrible. But, it's mediocre at best.

Grateful to: Parent

Posted November 30, 2015
The Parent organization at this school is pretty awesome. They certainly do a lot and put on a lot. If you're a parent that wants to be involved in everything -- they have a spot. If you're a parent who only wants to help out now and again -- you can do that too. Overall, its' a great niche of parents.

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted November 30, 2015
One of our teacher's was more concerned with the most ridiculous things than TEACHING the kids anything. The other is nice and we've enjoyed the time with her.

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted November 30, 2015
We were able to spend 20 minutes on a Sunday completing all of the written homework for the week. It just didn't seem beneficial to our kids. After all, "practice makes perfect" and I'm not sure how they're supposed to learn if they do not have ample opportunity to PRACTICE what they're learning in class.

Mechanicsville Elementary School 4

Posted February 03, 2014
The office staff is not friendly and they do not acknowledge you when you walk in the door. I dread coming into the school, because I have to go into the office. Like said previously by other parents, I've stood there for several minutes before the staff asked if I needed help. THat's my only complaint.

Mechanicsville Elementary School 5

Posted June 28, 2011
The teachers love my kids! The school is a great place to be. I am proud to have my family be a part of this community. I do wish the art, pe, and technology programs were stronger. Overall, it's a good place!

Posted April 28, 2010
The faculty and staff provide our children with an excellent education as well as life skills and lessons to ensure they are productive and successful in all future endeavors.

Mechanicsville Elementary School 1

Posted October 07, 2009
I do not agree with the behavioral contract that they go by in kindergarten. My son is so focused on what color day that he has received, he can't remember anything that he has learned.

Mechanicsville Elementary School 5

Posted June 06, 2009
MES offers small classes and high quality teachers. I have nothing but good things to say about the staff and administration at the school!

Mechanicsville Elementary School 3

Posted May 26, 2009
I have to agree with several of the previous reviews. The office staff really are rude and don't care what kind of business you have there. I am NEVER greeted when I walk in and have stood there waiting several minutes before I was even noticed, in fact it was the gym coach that came in and helped me not the staff. I have a large gap between my 2 children and when Mrs. Meeks and Mr. Fudge were principals I never felt more welcomed in a school. You could tell that they cared and in turn their office staff cared. They took the time to greet each and every parent when exiting an assembly and initialed every report card. Since the new principal several years ago service and the warm welcomed feeling has long gone. The teachers and other staff are extreamly nice and I like them alot.

7425 Mechanicsville Elem Drive, Mechanicsville, VA  23111
Last modified Mechanicsville Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mechanicsville Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top