Midlothian, VA
Students enrolled: 1,047

J B Watkins Elementary School 2

Posted May 22, 2015
We moved here in 2006, paid too much for a house so my children could attend one of the best public schools in the area. It started out great with my daughter, who is now in middle school. However, JBW has become extremely overcrowded. My elementary school children hate school. Especially the Chinese class that is mandatory. My kids and other kids get so stressed out by this class they cry and don't want to attend school on Chinese day. Currently JBW is at 120% capacity and there is talk of building more homes and town homes in the immediate future. This is completely unacceptable. Our county should not approve anymore homes until a school is built to alleviate JBW and Betty Weaver. Where is all of our tax money going? Chesterfield has a lot of explaining to do.

J B Watkins Elementary School 2

Posted March 20, 2015
If you have a child that has special needs, don't move to this area. The assistant principal, who is in charge of the special education program, is disrespectful to parents and not helpful at all. From the occupational therapist you will only hear the word "no". They violate parents and children's rights. We moved to another area in Chesterfield and my son is doing great in his new school. If you have a typical child, I guess this school is acceptable. The teachers are great and the PTA is very active.

Posted February 15, 2015
I have 2 kids there (1st & 3rd grade), and it's their second year in this school. They have learnt so much and they love going to school. I'm really grateful for their teachers and the new Principal (Mrs. Cousins). They are really amazing. Great communication, very dedicated to their student and really great support. I highly recommend this school. The staff at the reception should be more friendly and a smiling face will be very much appreciated.

Posted November 14, 2014
This is my son's first year at Watkins, and we chose this area specifically so he could attend. Several months in, I cannot say enough good things about this school. It may be overcrowded, but we've seen no negative effects from it. My son told me tonight, on a Friday night, he wished he could go to school on the weekends because he loves his teacher and class so much. And he wasn't kidding! His work is challenging and engaging, and his teacher differentiates her instruction in every subject. The PTA provides wonderful activities, and supports the school well. We are now looking for a house to buy in this district so he can stay at Watkins throughout elementary school.

Posted October 23, 2013
We moved specifically into this district so our girls would go to Watkins/Midlo/Midlo, and we were not disappointed. My older daughter began in '03-'04 & graduated Watkins in '09. My younger daughter followed 4 years behind & stayed thru 3rd grade when we moved out of state. They both LOVED that school. My younger daughter is now in 6th grade & while she likes her new school, she still misses Watkins. Both girls were well ahead when we moved to AZ, but they were both taught such disciplined learning habits that they didn't become bored or discouraged, but adapted and excelled. Dr. Scott leads by example & takes care of any issues with fairness & dispatch. The teachers (w/a few RARE exceptions) are enthusiastic & care about their students. Those of you with negative comments must remember 2 things: 1) This is a PUBLIC school & teachers/admin are limited to how much they can do based on laws & budgets, 2) Children do not learn in vacuum; you can't send your child to school & expect miracles, you must participate & carry over the lessons at home. Work in partnership with the teachers & school and your child will get more out of it. (And yes, before you ask, I did wotk full-time.)

Posted October 18, 2013
Great school with great teachers. Very security conscious and friendly atmosphere. Love the parent involvement. Great location too.

Posted February 03, 2013
J.B. Watkins is among the best elementary schools in Chesterfield County. The PTA and staff work together to provide a well-rounded education that includes Mandarin Chinese, Children's Design and Engineering, Performing and Visual Arts that exceed ALL expectations, as well as learner-focused core instruction. The school enrollment is high, but so are the standards and expectations. Watkins is indeed a jewel in the county's crown.

Posted December 07, 2012
I attended this school after moving to Midlothian from North Carolina. The teachers were more than pleasant, the staff went out of their way to catch me up to speed and make me feel less like a transplant and more like a Virginian, and the pace of the courses was set very reasonably. My education through J.B Watkins is one I hope my own children will receive.

Posted September 22, 2012
We just moved to the area and did ALOT of research on the schools. I have one at Watkins in 3rd grade and onein Middle school. The new addition is wonderful and the school is really starting to look fantastic. I cannot comment on the trailer situation as my child happens to be in one of the new classrooms. l highly agree with the previous post about the teachers being the most important and not the 4 walls. I am enjoying the wonderful staff and the very involved parents at this school. We have been made to feel very welcome.

J B Watkins Elementary School 1

Posted September 21, 2012
We moved here with two elementary aged kids. "Good schools" was what we were looking for. We heard and read that JB Watkins was a great school. Well, if you think 30 students in a detached tiny trailer classroom with very loud air conditioning units is a stimulating environment. I would like to say that the teachers and staff make up for the horribly cramped space but I can't say that is true. After listening to both teachers at back to school night - I am very unimpressed. Huge focus on SOL's (standardized testing), "advanced" or "gifted" classes and AR - accelerated reading programs. The staff is not receptive to any opinions and are defensive about the cramped situation. One of our teachers writes in cursive - I mentioned that my child doesn't read cursive, as it isn't a necessary curriculum for this generation, the teacher said . "Yes, several students have mentioned this but they need to learn to read it some time." Their home work is written on a white board in cursive and to tell you the truth - I can't even read what it says. If you move here - keep your expectations very low - along with your taxes. You get what you pay for.

J B Watkins Elementary School
501 Coalfield Rd., Midlothian, VA  23114
Last modified J B Watkins Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
J B Watkins Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 41 reviews. Top