Denbigh High School

Public | 9-12 | 1420 students

Student diversity

Special education

The school has not provided this information yet.

Posted June 26, 2013

The faculty and staff at Denbigh is working hard to turn the school around. The new principal Mr. Vladu seems to be truly committed to making sure that all students have a safe, productive, learning environment. Many of the teachers are DHS Alumni and have a vested interested in the success of the school. Many go above and beyond the call of duty to ensure the success of their students. The school is working diligently to change the community's perception of the school. Are there problems? Yes, but the school is better than it was last year and I am optimistic that it will continue to improve in the coming years.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 2, 2009

I'm senior at Denbigh and this school year has actually been the best out of all the others. The teachers are beginning to care more about the students education and our new principal is doing his best to stay on top of things. Problems in Denbigh have really calmed down since they got rid of all the gang bangers and drug dealers. (well most of them) Especially the security guard They've buckled down on discipline this year too. There hasn't been too many fights, I would say about 5 or 6 maybe, but what school doesn't. I am proud to be a Senior 2009 of Denbigh. I go to all the games and dances just to show my patriot love for Denbigh. I would recommend people to this school, it's not bad all you to do is stay focused and don't let anyone get to you. it's all up to you

Posted January 30, 2009

I have been really impressed by many of the things that have happened at Denbigh since Mr. Cromartie came as principal. The school now places education first and has fare fewer issues with discipline. School spirit is better, but needs more. Denbigh parents should better support the school and the principal.

Posted June 30, 2008

There's far more negatives than postives with this school, bottomline. If you want your child to go somewhere where education is serious, you are definetly at the wrrng school and perhaps the wrong city.

Posted August 13, 2007

I've been employed at Denbigh for 9 years in a support capacity. The students are divided into two extreme catagories: the very best and the very worst. The troubled kids behavior is largely ignored and allowed. I have been told on several occasions by security and administrators that there are children they would love to get rid of, but they can't get enough evidence on them to expel them. The 'no snitching' policy is alive and well with the student body. On the other hand, the good kids are wonderful and the faculty truly goes above and beyond their duty to educate the ones who want it. Principal Evans is incredible, unfortunately he has moved up the administrative ladder and will not be there this year. Good Luck DHS.

Posted January 22, 2007

I am a student at Denbigh High and the only thing i like about it is the social aspect. I am a cheerleader and have many friends but when it comes to the guidence department and teachers caring it is horrible. The school is overcroweded which sparks lots of problems among student. I wouldnt say there is a lot of 'real' gang violence jus kids who've grown up together trying to overrun every one else. I would not reccomend sending your child to this school whatsoever unless they are an extremelt focused person who doesnt need much direction when it comes to learning

Posted November 11, 2005

Its not all bad. Part of the problem with the school now is they don't enforce the rules. The administrators choose sides and favor some over others. The school just went downhill recently because they over crowed the sschool with previous gang rivals when they rezoned everyone into passage middle school. The school was long over due for renivations and they just finished them. Education is lacking in some parts but you can only teach someone willing to learn. There is little to know parent involvement in the school. I'm an 2003 alumni. The school can be turned around but it takes effort from everyone. Why doesn't Teens Against Violence start with their own school first?

Posted August 24, 2005

I am a 2005 graduate of Denbigh and for me it was a learning experience. Denbigh has its problems, it has many problems but its not all on the teachers. I participated in the ROTC for 4yrs and that in itself was the most rewarding experience the teachers in the department were the mst involved I have ever seen. Denbigh is in the process of improving, this is why the ceiling leaks. Denbigh has fights yes but show me one in the nation that doesnt. Mr. Evans tries to be a good principal but he's only one man and he needs the support of parents. I can say that i graduated with a 3.5 was in the National Honor and Math Society and am attending the #3 HBCU in America, Hampton University. It has nothin to do with the teachers and tests, its what your child does academically and socially.

Posted August 5, 2005

I am currently a senior at DHS.I admit Denbigh has fights, but I dont know a school that doesn't.When people talk about my school in a negative way it only makes me furious. If you dont go there you cant really make a judgement. I have attended Denbigh ever since the 9th grade.Just like any school, you have to make it the best.Basically, work with what you have!If you dont go to any games or participate in any typ of activities, it is going to be a bad experience.Usually the first year is hard for students b/c everything is new and we are still trying to find out where we fit. But after that year, its up to you to make it worth while and fun.

Posted August 2, 2005

Well, the school isn't exactly perfect. Some of the teachers are nice, some aren't. It's about half and half. Discipline at this school is almost pitiful. The principal's a good guy. He tries to keep stuff in order, but as most principals are, he's on the business side of things. This school is dirty inside though. The floors and ceilings are always just... nasty. The floors are almost never cleaned. I'm a current student. Hopefully the school is clean this next year.

Posted May 27, 2005

I am currently a Junior at Denbigh High School. Alot of these reviews are overstating everything. Not everything you hear about Denbigh is true. Are there alot of fights? Somewhat but Woodside has more. Is there gang activity? Somewhat but its not like the movies where they go beating up everyone. Mostly its just neibhorhood base. Are the staff involved? Yes, teachers will stay after school to give extra help sessions tuesday-thursday. Teachers will call homes to tell parents what is going on in school. How are the SOL scores? I dont know all of them but, over 70% of students passed the Algebra 2 SOL. So for everyone scared of what you heard. All I have to say is don't believe the hype.

Posted May 13, 2005

I am a current student at Denbigh High School and I love it there. A school is what you make of it and if a child wants to get into the wrong crowd, then yes it can be violent but if a child is determined enough, they can have a great excperience. I'm on a debate teem that won first place overall, a Model UN that wins awards every confrence as well as a winning Forensics team. And not only are the clubs great, but I love all of my classes and am taking almost all AP and Honors classes. Yes, the violence can be bad but I have never had to encounter it. If a kid just focuses on what is important, nothing is going to stop them from succeeding. Also, there is just not enough parent involvment, but that is something that can easily be changed.

Posted May 1, 2005

I am an alumnus of Denbigh High school. I graduated in 2003. I'm speaking from personal experience, not the second hand information of a parent. I didn't see ANY gang activity while at this school for 4 years. I also thought the violence level was not high. There was a fight here and there, but you have to consider the fact that this is Newport News, Virginia, not Beverly Hills, California. I'm currently a sophomore, soon to be junior at Morehouse College in Atlanta, Georgia. For those who don't know, Morehouse has been ranked the #1 HBCU for the past 3 years, so this should let you know I'm a well groomed young man who wasn't about getting into mess.

Posted March 17, 2005

My son's freshman experience at denbigh has proved to be the worst school experince of his life. The amount of fighting and gang activity at the main denbigh high school was scary. When asked, the administration has lied to me several times saying that there was no recorded gang activity at the school. Do not send your gifted children to this school!

Posted March 17, 2005

I have a daughter that is a senior at Denbigh. Academicly it is a great school. Their art and drama departments are fantastic. Unfortunatly there are many other issues with the school--it is in bad need of repair, leaky roofs, mold, and too many more to list. There also is a violance. In the past 2 days local police and medics have been called to the school 4 times. I am just happy my daughter only has a few more months at the school.

Posted February 4, 2005

I am a graduate of DHS. I would not send my children to that school. I didn't feel safe there. It took a lot for my parents to get me to go. My sister ended up dropping out. I didn't think that the staff was involved enough and they sure didn't get parents involved. DHS did not make me feel excited about learning. My overall experience was awful.

Posted November 30, 2004

DHS offers a great variety of academics and extracurricluars to choose from. Lots of course help and career/college guidance is available. Your child, like mine, will be successful or fail depending on the choices they make, the work they put in, parental support, and their circle of friends. Whiners beget whiners. Anyone who asks a student from Norfolk State for opinions on DHS has a lot to learn. Ask a student from a highly reputable university, and you'll realize that he/she got accepted based on their achievements at the same school, DHS. The opportunity is there, the staff and faculty are dedicated. There will always be teachers who are burnt out, have bad attitudes - but that's the real world. It's also part of education, that life isn't always fair.

Posted August 9, 2004

In June 2004, my daughter completed her 9th grade year at DHS in the Aviation Magnet. She had a wonderful year. The staff at the Aviation Academy and the related arts teachers at DHS were accessible, friendly, and knowledgeable. There are pockets of disipline problems that overshadow morale, but overall we were pleased. I am now one of several parents actively invloved in the PTA and we're looking forward to a great year at DHS. In reference to the Aviation Academy, I would rate that segment of the school straight 5's.

Posted July 15, 2004

I moved out of Newport News so that my daughter WOULD NOT have to attend this school! Spoke with a 9th grade guidance counselor who was non chalant, unenthused her attitude was not a positive reflection of the school. I have been told that the graduation rate is extremely low... SOL's are extremely low....the morale of the students that go there extremely low. I asked a student at Norfolk State University who grad from High school in NN about Denbigh High she said 'dont send your daughter there go to the board of ed. and request she be rezoned! I thought about it and decided to move!I worked at NSU and moved to Surry County (108 miles round trip) - best thing I could ever have done! Newport News public school need a serious overhaul! The quality of education need to be seriously looked at.

Posted February 23, 2004

It is next to impossible to get principals or teachers to return phone calls at this school.

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 76% in 2013.

231 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 76% in 2013.

216 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 83% in 2013.

287 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 86% in 2013.

171 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 83% in 2013.

318 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 89% in 2013.

347 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 87% in 2013.

358 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 76% in 2013.

272 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 59% in 2013.

Virginia and United States History

The state average for Virginia and United States History was 86% in 2013.

312 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 85% in 2013.

342 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History I

The state average for World History I was 84% in 2013.

260 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History II

The state average for World History II was 85% in 2013.

151 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) End-of-Course tests to assess students in reading, writing, math, science and history/social science subjects at the end of each course, regardless of the student's grade level. The SOL End-of-Course tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. High school students must pass at least six SOL End-of-Course tests to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Algebra I

Students without disabilities81%
Limited English proficient studentsn/a
Proficient in English82%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Nurse(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Swimming pool
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Mr. Anthony Vladu

Foreign languages taught
  • French
  • German
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • Nurse(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

• Drama

School culture

• Join PTO/PTA
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

259 Denbigh Blvd