Newport News, VA
Students enrolled: 1,420

Posted June 26, 2013
The faculty and staff at Denbigh is working hard to turn the school around. The new principal Mr. Vladu seems to be truly committed to making sure that all students have a safe, productive, learning environment. Many of the teachers are DHS Alumni and have a vested interested in the success of the school. Many go above and beyond the call of duty to ensure the success of their students. The school is working diligently to change the community's perception of the school. Are there problems? Yes, but the school is better than it was last year and I am optimistic that it will continue to improve in the coming years.

Posted February 02, 2009
I'm senior at Denbigh and this school year has actually been the best out of all the others. The teachers are beginning to care more about the students education and our new principal is doing his best to stay on top of things. Problems in Denbigh have really calmed down since they got rid of all the gang bangers and drug dealers. (well most of them) Especially the security guard They've buckled down on discipline this year too. There hasn't been too many fights, I would say about 5 or 6 maybe, but what school doesn't. I am proud to be a Senior 2009 of Denbigh. I go to all the games and dances just to show my patriot love for Denbigh. I would recommend people to this school, it's not bad all you to do is stay focused and don't let anyone get to you. it's all up to you

Denbigh High School 5

Posted January 30, 2009
I have been really impressed by many of the things that have happened at Denbigh since Mr. Cromartie came as principal. The school now places education first and has fare fewer issues with discipline. School spirit is better, but needs more. Denbigh parents should better support the school and the principal.

Posted June 30, 2008
There's far more negatives than postives with this school, bottomline. If you want your child to go somewhere where education is serious, you are definetly at the wrrng school and perhaps the wrong city.

Posted August 13, 2007
I've been employed at Denbigh for 9 years in a support capacity. The students are divided into two extreme catagories: the very best and the very worst. The troubled kids behavior is largely ignored and allowed. I have been told on several occasions by security and administrators that there are children they would love to get rid of, but they can't get enough evidence on them to expel them. The 'no snitching' policy is alive and well with the student body. On the other hand, the good kids are wonderful and the faculty truly goes above and beyond their duty to educate the ones who want it. Principal Evans is incredible, unfortunately he has moved up the administrative ladder and will not be there this year. Good Luck DHS.

Posted January 22, 2007
I am a student at Denbigh High and the only thing i like about it is the social aspect. I am a cheerleader and have many friends but when it comes to the guidence department and teachers caring it is horrible. The school is overcroweded which sparks lots of problems among student. I wouldnt say there is a lot of 'real' gang violence jus kids who've grown up together trying to overrun every one else. I would not reccomend sending your child to this school whatsoever unless they are an extremelt focused person who doesnt need much direction when it comes to learning

Posted November 11, 2005
Its not all bad. Part of the problem with the school now is they don't enforce the rules. The administrators choose sides and favor some over others. The school just went downhill recently because they over crowed the sschool with previous gang rivals when they rezoned everyone into passage middle school. The school was long over due for renivations and they just finished them. Education is lacking in some parts but you can only teach someone willing to learn. There is little to know parent involvement in the school. I'm an 2003 alumni. The school can be turned around but it takes effort from everyone. Why doesn't Teens Against Violence start with their own school first?

Denbigh High School 4

Posted August 24, 2005
I am a 2005 graduate of Denbigh and for me it was a learning experience. Denbigh has its problems, it has many problems but its not all on the teachers. I participated in the ROTC for 4yrs and that in itself was the most rewarding experience the teachers in the department were the mst involved I have ever seen. Denbigh is in the process of improving, this is why the ceiling leaks. Denbigh has fights yes but show me one in the nation that doesnt. Mr. Evans tries to be a good principal but he's only one man and he needs the support of parents. I can say that i graduated with a 3.5 was in the National Honor and Math Society and am attending the #3 HBCU in America, Hampton University. It has nothin to do with the teachers and tests, its what your child does academically and socially.

Denbigh High School 4

Posted August 05, 2005
I am currently a senior at DHS.I admit Denbigh has fights, but I dont know a school that doesn't.When people talk about my school in a negative way it only makes me furious. If you dont go there you cant really make a judgement. I have attended Denbigh ever since the 9th grade.Just like any school, you have to make it the best.Basically, work with what you have!If you dont go to any games or participate in any typ of activities, it is going to be a bad experience.Usually the first year is hard for students b/c everything is new and we are still trying to find out where we fit. But after that year, its up to you to make it worth while and fun.

Posted August 02, 2005
Well, the school isn't exactly perfect. Some of the teachers are nice, some aren't. It's about half and half. Discipline at this school is almost pitiful. The principal's a good guy. He tries to keep stuff in order, but as most principals are, he's on the business side of things. This school is dirty inside though. The floors and ceilings are always just... nasty. The floors are almost never cleaned. I'm a current student. Hopefully the school is clean this next year.

Denbigh High School
259 Denbigh Blvd, Newport News, VA  23608
Last modified Denbigh High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Denbigh High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top