Newport News, VA

Homer L. Hines Middle School 4

Posted December 02, 2013
I AM A VERY MUCH INVOLVED PARENT WITH MY CHILDS LEARNING AND AS ANYWHERE NO SCHOOL, JOB, OR ENVIRONMENT IS PERFECT SO IF YOU WANT THE BEST OUT OF YOUR CHILDS EDUCATION, ONCE THE TEACHERS KNOW THERE IS A PARENT THAT CARES THEY CARE EVEN THAT MUCH MORE AND THAT IS WHAT I HAVE EXPERIENCED. THE GROUP OF TEACHERS MY SON HAS (HORAN, LANTZ, FAIR, BLAND, AND BATTON) ARE ALL GREAT TEACHERS AND SPENDING A DAY WITH MY SON ALMOST LED ME TO ENROLL, READY TO KICK THE CAN AND PROCEED TO THE 6TH GRADE. HINES HAS GREAT SPIRIT AND I BELIEVE COULD INCREASE THEIR RATINGS IF THE PARENTS COULD BE INVOLVED ONE STEP MORE THAN NORMAL. MY SONS GROUP OF TEACHERS MAKE LEARNING FUN AND RETAINABLE, FROM A PARENT OF A STUDENT WHO NEVER HAD A REPORT CARD WITHOUT A "D" OR "F" THANK YOU HINES FOR ASSISTING MY SON TO GREATNESS.

Posted August 10, 2013
I attended Hines and I am currently a rising junior at Warwick. For me, Hines was fun, but you had to participate in something. I was in Chorus, and we won 1st place in every competition we competed in. There was great school pride, and there were few bullying issues. HOWEVER, my brother goes to Hines now- he is a rising 7th grader- and things have changed drastically. The teachers I had who I liked all retired, or got moved to a different subject (algebra to geometry). The principal left. This past year, students tried to poison a teacher by putting hand sanitizer in her coffee. My brother was bullied by a female classmate (he's popular, but he became a depressed over this). While I would have recommended this school one or two years ago, things changed. My advice is to bear through, and pick good teachers (Mr. Kohaut for geometry, Mrs. Harpst for 7th grade English, Ms. Rivera for 8th grade English, avoid Mrs. Parsons for 6th grade science at all costs). Whatever you do, become friends with Officer Roldan. He is amazing and helped me greatly during my years as a student. Good luck prospective students, you're gonna need it.

Homer L. Hines Middle School 2

Posted April 17, 2013
This year Hines got a new principal. The whole year I've seen her twice. One time she was standing outside talking on her cell phone!The assistant principals are way too lenient on the kids. They refuse to suspend them if they can rewrite their violation. THATS WHY THE KIDS ACT THE WAY THEY DO!!! If you punish them, they will learn!Most of the teachers are great. They need to have stricter punishments and the principal needs to get involved! She needs to find another job and get somebody in that school who cares!

Posted April 11, 2012
The admin to this school is terrible! First I witnessed a security guard at the main lobby. Then as I roamed my way to the office to talk about my child's issue, the two women who where in the office were slow to acknowledge me. When they did the lady to the right said to wait for the lady in charge of my issue. Well that same person who's titled was just announced was sitting on the left. I guess she was too busy playing solitary cause after 20min she finally attended to my needs. The next time I had to deal with these so called customer service admin it took even longer. Why, I have no ideal since no one was in the office. Maybe cause they don't like their jobs. Maybe because they get paid no matter how they treat the parents. No wonder this school is in the low scores. And another thing, why the heck are there security guards and some are dressed in gang clothes with jewelry hanging from their necks like a thug? Doesn't that say inviting to someone who is new to the area? HECK NO! Now we pay taxes to this school who clearly doesn't use it wisely. If race is an issue with the ladies behind the counter this mother can give attitude right back!

Posted February 26, 2012
this is the worst school i have ever encountered. now a 9th grader, i was in 6th grade when i went here. had to switch out after, because i was getting bullied. honestly, do not put your kids here. i moved and started going to grafton high school, about 15 minutes away. it is a great school, unlike HINES.

Posted November 04, 2010
Great school, great kids and great teachers. Hines Middle School is one step closer to perfection. Go Spartans!

Homer L. Hines Middle School 4

Posted September 02, 2009
i went to hines for all grades (6-8) and im going to be a freshman in high school next year. i really think hines prepared me for the challenges i am going to face in the ib program. the teachers were very nice; they balanced the role between friend and teacher very well. however, i did have a few teachers who really made classes almost unbearable. those teachers' classes were where i learned the least. those experiences did teach me to teach myself, though so i cant really complain. all in all, i had a fun time and teachers make the transition from elelmentary to middle schoool easy but some teachers really shouldnt work there.

Posted September 02, 2009
I went to Hines from 6th to 8th grade and I absolutely loved it. There are a few things that need some work but should improve within a few years. Most of the teachers I had were great. Some were very unorganized though.

Posted June 16, 2009
All of the teachers don't back down on students. They help them and make sure that they understand it.

Homer L. Hines Middle School 0

Posted June 16, 2009
i love this school my teachers ms.bishop miss.tucker and miss.woods they are the best teachers

Homer L. Hines Middle School
561 McLawhorne Dr, Newport News, VA  23601
Last modified Homer L. Hines Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Homer L. Hines Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top